Battlefield 5

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Battlefield 5

Postby saywhat? » Fri May 06, 2016 9:03 pm

Trailer set to be released later today! Anyone else stoked? I admit I haven't played all of the battlefield games, but I'm holding out hope that rumors are true and this game will be set in WWI. I have a few more sweet sweet hours to live in my fantasy. :D

saywhat?
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Re: Battlefield 5

Postby RedBearded » Sat May 07, 2016 8:37 am

Battlefield 1 Official Reveal Trailer

Forget COD and spaaaaace, WW1 looks awesome. :D

Redbearded-Joined:Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:09 pm
God-Joined:Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:18 pm
RedBearded
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sat May 07, 2016 2:46 pm

The aerial vehicles will still have shit controls.

But yes, it looks awesome. Let's hope a single player campaign is present and offers a lot, as Battlefield games usually have the MP thing on lock.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Sat May 07, 2016 3:36 pm

See now, this looks like a shooter to be excited for. It's covering territory very few other games, especially shooters, have covered at all (though Valiant Hearts: The Great War will probably always be the defining game set in that era). There's room for actual growth and experimentation, and they're not restricted by the need to constantly make forward technological leaps lest they lose a double-jumping mechanic.

Plus I'm just in love with World War I as a general thing, since gas masks and trench warfare are my jam.

This probably won't be a completely faithful World War I game (seeing as a great majority of the combat was soldiers firing across a wide space from their respective trenches for several months each and getting frequent bouts of rotting feet from boots full of trench water), but it looks promising nonetheless.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby gisambards » Sat May 07, 2016 3:48 pm

I honestly find this trailer quite disturbing. World War 1 was an actual war in which millions of people lost their lives for no real reason. At least when Call of Duty set games in actual wars, they show a little respect for the fact it's a real conflict in which real people were killed. This is just celebrating the senseless brutality that actually happened to actual people, and shows a disgusting lack of the respect this subject matter deserves.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Taluun » Sat May 07, 2016 3:55 pm

I too am excited about a shooter taking place in WW1.

Taluun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sat May 07, 2016 4:08 pm

gisambards wrote:I honestly find this trailer quite disturbing. World War 1 was an actual war in which millions of people lost their lives for no real reason. At least when Call of Duty set games in actual wars, they show a little respect for the fact it's a real conflict in which real people were killed. This is just celebrating the senseless brutality that actually happened to actual people, and shows a disgusting lack of the respect this subject matter deserves.

So.......you're saying that Battlefield needs to have this?

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Sat May 07, 2016 5:39 pm

gisambards wrote:I honestly find this trailer quite disturbing. World War 1 was an actual war in which millions of people lost their lives for no real reason. At least when Call of Duty set games in actual wars, they show a little respect for the fact it's a real conflict in which real people were killed. This is just celebrating the senseless brutality that actually happened to actual people, and shows a disgusting lack of the respect this subject matter deserves.

I don't disagree with your sentiment, but we've got our respectful, emotional WWI game: Valiant Hearts, which I'd of course highly recommend if you haven't checked it out. Despite the silly art style, lighthearted first act, and lack of any proper gunplay, it's arguably one of the best and most profoundly affecting war games out there.

At the very least, this'll deliver a different gameplay experience, no matter how insensitive it is (and there's always the possibility that the tone's been horribly misrepresented by the marketing department in hopes of pulling in the twelve-year-olds). I honestly don't care all that much for Battlefield, but I generally like to be cautiously optimistic when big studios try something more unique. Of course, you could be 100% right and this could turn out to be a tone-deaf travesty. I'm reserving my judgement until we see the actual product.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sat May 07, 2016 5:54 pm

Seeing as it's (according to EA) an alternate-history WW1, I wouldn't see it as being that disrespectful. Hell, it might solidify the presence of a good single player story.

I also don't recall airships being used that predominantly in WW1 either, although I'm sure I'm wrong about that.

BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Sat May 07, 2016 9:35 pm

BROWNRECLUSE wrote:Seeing as it's (according to EA) an alternate-history WW1, I wouldn't see it as being that disrespectful. Hell, it might solidify the presence of a good single player story.

I also don't recall airships being used that predominantly in WW1 either, although I'm sure I'm wrong about that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airship#World_War_I

Apparently the Germans used them a bit to bomb mainland Britain. The RAF had abandoned them by the time of WWI except small ones to combat submarines. There really doesn't seem like anything to suggest this is anything other than a dramatised and stylised version of WWI. Now, I don't think that any subject should be off limits, but I am a bit wary of a game predicated on probably one of the single most pointless and destructive wars humans have ever fought. Slapping a bassed up version of a White Stripes track over it doesn't help that tone either.

What I think will suck is if they make the Germans into cartoon villains and the Allies into storybook goodies. Frankly nobody covered themselves in glory either way, and it seems like the character models for the two sides are leaning towards the normal looking good guy allies and the iron armour clad trench club wielding Germans that look barely human, while their evil leaders mwuh hahaha it up in copious airships. I don't think everything needs to conform to historical veracity, but I would be much much more comfortable with this if it was definitively stated to be an alt history.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Mr.FishFace » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:12 pm

I've played some of the beta while the servers were up. Overall it seems to be very much like Battlefield 4, not that there's anything wrong with that. While it still has the beautiful graphics that I expect from DICE there aren't any huge changes. Sadly, if there isn't anything really special in the final release then I'm not sure if this is the game to finally take down Call of Duty.

I was thinking of what my username and I thought, "Why not Zoidberg?"
Mr.FishFace
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Just Some Commenter

Postby Krashlia » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:22 am

Ay yo, Where da War Crimes at?

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:45 am

It's been a while since the release, but since it hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, I'll post it here for posterity: apparently all of the hand-wringing over disrespectfulness, glorification of war crimes, and cartoon black-and-white morality were unfounded. The story actually goes out of its way to showcase the pointless brutality of the whole war; the enemy forces at multiple points are clearly just as tired and terrified as you, and each chapter ends with most of your goals rendered futile and your allies dead, followed by some factoids about how many lives were lost and the damage that's still being felt today. The closest thing to your average FPS setpiece heroics turns out to be a fabricated story by a disgraced soldier. It's a surprisingly sad and well-done campaign, on par with Valiant Hearts, and I'm not even a huge fan of war shooters.

But the marketing department still had to sell it to the Doritos & Mountain Dew multiplayer crowd, so you ended up with things like all of these awful trailers and social media GIFs of people being hilaaaaariously burned with flamethrowers and crushed under tanks.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep