New Pokemon Games Announced

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Re: New Pokemon Games Announced

Postby Grimstone » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:38 pm

Don't google pokemon s & m

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:38 am

Might also want to turn on safesearch if you're looking for Pokemon Moon pics.

And in other news for those interested...

You can rock trainer gear.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:55 am

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:58 am

So here's the video that contained some of the above info, plus a lot more.

Giving old pokemon alternative typings is pretty interesting, and I like this mechanic a lot on the surface. Hopefully it'll be well implemented in practice. An ice Vulpix (which is adorable), and an Ice/Fairy Ninetails is pretty interesting, as well as being the first Ice/Fairy type. It'll take double damage from fire, poison, and rock, quadruple from steel (ouch, but at least steel isn't the most common offensive type, even if it has risen with the advent of fairy), become neutral to fighting, and resist dark, ice, and bug. It'll also be able to hit STAB against, fighting, flying, ground, dark, and have two STAB options against dragon. I'm not sure what that'll mean for it in the competitive meta game, but it's something new.

Sandslash isn't just Ice now, it's Ice/Steel, another first. It's also stated to be slower, and since Sandslash already has a low base speed of 65, it's not gonna be a sweeper, me thinks. (Though that does help Gryo Ball at least). I should mention that I'm not clear if the slower part is just a piece of the lore, or actually going to affect the stats. The typing actually feels pretty damning, as it's now 4x weak to both rock and fire, which are both pretty common offensive types. It becomes neutral to rock and steel, and it's only 4x resist is to Ice, which is not particularly useful. I'm a bit skeptical of this one being able to do much, as the ice typing severely hurts the defensive properties of steel, and a (suspected) lower base speed hurts offensive capabilities. Maybe it'll get the right moves and BST to be useful, but I'm doubtful.

A Grass/Dragon Exeggutor is interesting, not a first, but the second (M-Sceptile). Normally Grass/Psychic, this new typing lets it shed it's weaknesses to bug, ghost, and dark, gain 4x resists to water, grass, and electric, as well as now taking neutral damage from fire. It however gains new weaknesses to dragon and fairy, and is now 4x weak to ice. So overall pretty decent typing, it's gonna be the move set (and if the BST changes at all) that determines it's viability. I'll be honest, I'd have preferred a Mega that retained the grass/psychic typing though. (Side note: My god does the design for this new Exeggutor look godawful).

Oricorio is an interesting pokemon, having 4 forms, each with different typings. Flying/Fire, Flying/Electric, Flying/Fairy, Flying/Ghost. None of them are new, but the latter two aren't very common. It's ability is new, Dancer, and anytime a pokemon uses a dance move (Swords, Dragon, Quiver), Oricorio copies it. It's a nice free stat boost, but I'm not sure how viable it'll be. So we'll have to see the rest of what this pokemon gets.

The other new thing that catches my attention is Z-Moves. Each type gets a Z-Move, which is very powerful. To perform it, the pokemon must know a move of that type, and be holding a Z-Crystal of the same typing. From the wording, I don't think the Z-Move has to match the pokemon's type, but I'm unclear on that. Z-Moves can also only be performed once per fight. I'm not overly found of this idea on the surface, but I'll need more details to reach a full conclusion.

There's a bunch else in the video, but those are the main things that caught my attention. So far I haven't seen anything about new Megas, so I hope pokemon isn't abandoning the concept. I think the Alohan forms compliment megas well.

Last edited by Dr. Ambiguous on Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Formatting, typos.
<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:45 am

I really don't think they can just roll out a concept like megas and then abandon it, but it is weird we haven't heard of any new megas so far.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Bromo » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:12 am

Tesseracts wrote:I really don't think they can just roll out a concept like megas and then abandon it, but it is weird we haven't heard of any new megas so far.

Honestly, Mega-evolutions were too overpowered. I wouldn't care either way if they introduce new megas or noy. I just hope they balance the Mega Pokémon so they won't be too OP this gen.

My favorite Pokémon introduced this roundup were Pomf-Pomf Oricorio and Dick Gumshoos.

"I spent a good 20 minutes searching for my glasses, when I realized I was seeing a bit too well.

Then I reached for my face and there were they." --Toy, 2016

The Pokémon master formerly known as Kevin Durant.
Bromo
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Token Homo

Postby Askias » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:54 am

Dr. Ambiguous wrote:Sandslash isn't just Ice now, it's Ice/Steel, another first. It's also stated to be slower, and since Sandslash already has a low base speed of 65, it's not gonna be a sweeper, me thinks. (Though that does help Gryo Ball at least). I should mention that I'm not clear if the slower part is just a piece of the lore, or actually going to affect the stats. The typing actually feels pretty damning, as it's not 4x weak to both fighting and fire, which are both pretty common offensive types. It becomes neutral to rock and steel, and it's only 4x resist is to Ice, which is not particularly useful. I'm a bit skeptical of this one being able to do much, as the ice typing severely hurts the defensive properties of steel, and a (suspected) lower base speed hurts offensive capabilities. Maybe it'll get the right moves and BST to be useful, but I'm doubtful.

It's an ice-pokémon without a good speed stat, so it's going to be useless. The only Ice-type I can think of with some competitive potential is Weaville (unless you count Kyurem Black and White, which are legendaries). Ice has the worst defensive typing in the game, with the least resistances of any type (only resisting itself - even Normal is at least fully immune to Ghost) and only beaten by Grass for most weaknesses of any type. I don't think there's a type you could stick on an Ice-pokémon which would do well on a slow Pokémon, even if it had the BST to be useful (which Sandslash doesn't to start with). For shame, because hitting Grass/Ground/Flying/Dragon/Rock/Fairy/Ice with STAB and possible access to Freeze-Dry isn't the worst offensive capability.

At least it won't take double damage from Stealth Rock and be immune to Poison Spikes, so it can actually enter the field to get slaughtered rather than die on the spot like most Ice-types will. Give my favorite type some love, damnit.

If there be here lesson or moral, it lies beyond the competence of him who wrote this post.
(Jack Vance, Emphyrio)
Askias
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Night Owl

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:50 pm

Ice is sadly a shit type usually (there's a reason most Ice types are in NU or below). The other Ice types that come to mind for me are Cloyster and Mamoswine. Cloyster's Shell Smash set is a pretty viable sweeper, even in OU, and I've won many a game thanks to it. It even has a niche spot in Ubers. Mamoswine's Ground/Ice typing is actually pretty great, especially since it's Thick Fat ability removes a fire weakness. A pair of powerful STABs, plus a priority STAB, and a couple different options for it's 4th slot, including SR. Neither of them are the best available mons, but damnit, they're among the few good Ice types.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:54 pm

An Avalugg with a high defense, Iron Defense, and skull bash can be an effective wall.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 pm

So how is everyone doing in this game? This is my team so far, I just finished the trainer school.

IMG_4769.JPG
IMG_4769.JPG (1.39 MiB) Viewed 7677 times

I meant to name it Neptune but I confused the enter button for the delete button so now he's Neptub.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:35 pm

Oh my God.....Trump is a chick?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:43 am

Gotta say I'm not feeling the alternate form thing. If they have different types, stats, and moves, then they're completely different Mons and it's confusing/irritating to have them sitting on the same Dex number. Most of them also look like ass, and it's obnoxious that I have to go back to X if I want a normal (useful, Chlorophyll) Exeggutor.

Other than that I don't hate anything so far.

EDIT: Check that, just read that there's no Super Training. Damn you, Game Freak.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:59 pm

This is my team right now. I'm about to unlock the rest of Ula'ula island.

I will probably replace Deino with Jangmo-o, and Alakazam with Alolan Ninetails.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:57 pm

Here are some of the most fun and happy entries from the new Pokedex.

Gengar, Moon: "It apparently wishes for a traveling companion. Since it was once human itself, it tries to create one by taking the lives of other humans."

Gengar, Sun: "Should you feel yourself attacked by a sudden chill, it is evidence of an approaching Gengar. There is no escaping it. Give up."

Primape, Sun: "It has been known to become so angry that it dies as a result. Its face looks peaceful in death, however."

Mankey, Sun: "It can spontaneously become enraged. Everyone near it clears out as it rampages, and the resulting loneliness makes it angrier still."

Sliggoo, Sun: "It has trouble drawing a line between friends and food. It will calmly try to melt and eat even those it gets along well with."

Drifloon, Moon: "If for some reason its body bursts, its soul spills out with a screaming sound."

Mimikyu, Sun: "After going to all the effort of disguising itself, its neck was broken. Whatever is inside is probably unharmed, but it’s still feeling sad."

I should add that Mimikyu is a Pokemon which always disguises itself as Pikachu because it wants to be loved like Pikachu is, and it lives in a windowless room covered in Pikachu posters.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby Bromo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:15 am

*Mind blown*

MD9RkiQ.jpg
MD9RkiQ.jpg (410.47 KiB) Viewed 7577 times

"I spent a good 20 minutes searching for my glasses, when I realized I was seeing a bit too well.

Then I reached for my face and there were they." --Toy, 2016

The Pokémon master formerly known as Kevin Durant.
Bromo
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Token Homo

Previous