Rocket League

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Rocket League

Postby Irishjava » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:00 pm

Rocket League is a game in which you play something very similar to soccer, but with rocket cars. I am not a fan of sports games. I am not a fan of driving games. I am, for some reason, falling in love with their bastard child Rocket League.

After remaining willfully ignorant of this game for about a year on PC despite many friends telling me to pick it up, I grabbed it on Xbox One. I'm a sucker for local multiplayer, and it seemed like a fun goofy party game. For the first few matches, I felt like kind of an idiot. The goal is simple: use your car to slam a giant floaty ball into a hole. The mechanics are somewhat more nuanced, as you can jump and turn and boost and fly your car if manipulated right. I wondered how people could bounce their cars into the ball at 100 miles an hour at just the right angle to pull off a corner shot while I struggled to get anywhere near the ball. After an hour or two, it felt right. I started scoring goals, doing bicycle kicks with a car, and generally felt like I kind of knew what I was doing. It's pretty easy to grasp the basics, and impossibly satisfying when you get the hang of a new skill.

You should play this game. It is an absolute blast to play with friends, and still really fun to just play matchmaking and screw around. Also, my car has a hat and I love it.

"Prepare to be emancipated, from your own inferior genes!"
-Abradolf Lincler
Irishjava
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep