Pokémon GO

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Pokémon GO

Postby RedBearded » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:30 pm

This certainly got my attention. Catch Pokémon in the real world.

Redbearded-Joined:Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:09 pm
God-Joined:Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:18 pm
RedBearded
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Re: Pokémon GO

Postby Askias » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:19 pm

Isn't this kind of tech... Barely possible? I'm curious given Nintendo's track record, but I thought that 'Added Reality' was still a thing of the future. The whole trailer is CGI, who knows what the game actually aims for.

My inner child, however, is exited.

Exit: I've looked at Ingress, the previous game by the company Nintendo teamed up with. Assuming the minimalistic style doesn't become an instant eyesore, I don't have high hopes. They do well with what they have, but the tech just isn't good enough.

Last edited by Askias on Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If there be here lesson or moral, it lies beyond the competence of him who wrote this post.
(Jack Vance, Emphyrio)
Askias
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Night Owl

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:34 pm

Well, anime conventions certainly are going to be a bit more interesting. Either that or the site of a national tragedy.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby KleinerKiller » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:41 pm

So, if what I'm inferring behind the CGI representations is correct, this is basically a game/app/etc where it gives you a set of directions or coordinates, then you travel there in the real world, then a Pokemon pops up within your device -- probably using an overlay of the real world akin to what Nintendo does with the 3DS sometimes -- and you fight it and catch it and do your Pokemon thing. Basically, the same Pokemon action with walking and a camera.

Either that, or Nintendo just happens to be sitting on the single most advanced piece of virtual reality technology in the known world, something that would almost make the Oculus Rift obsolete, and they're using it for yet another Pokemon game. I wouldn't put it past them knowing their incomprehensibly shitty business practices, but from a logistical standpoint, I don't buy it.

Either way, I doubt this will live up to the hype.

Spoiler: show
Why, yes, I am fun at parties. Why do you ask?

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby gisambards » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:03 pm

If Nintendo haven't created legions of real Pokémon to release into the world - with all the inevitable pandemonium that would bring - I shall be very disappointed.

At the very least, I hope they will actually hack into Times Square's screens for the sake of a Mewtwo event, simply because I want to know how much trouble they'd get into.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:15 pm

gisambards wrote:If Nintendo haven't created legions of real Pokémon to release into the world - with all the inevitable pandemonium that would bring - I shall be very disappointed.

According to Bulbapedia, in the continuity of the games, there is only around around 4050 people in the Pokemon World. That's less people than those who were left after the Toba Event. Which isn't exactly surprising, if you think about it. It certainly makes Team Flare's goals a lot, lot creepier, that's for sure.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby RedBearded » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:31 pm

KleinerKiller wrote:Either that, or Nintendo just happens to be sitting on the single most advanced piece of virtual reality technology in the known world, something that would almost make the Oculus Rift obsolete, and they're using it for yet another Pokemon game. I wouldn't put it past them knowing their incomprehensibly shitty business practices, but from a logistical standpoint, I don't buy it.

What if the quickly shown screen shots of the phones at the end of the video are not what the game looks like but Nintendo does in fact have the single most advanced piece of VR tech and this is how they apologize for the Virtual Boy.

Redbearded-Joined:Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:09 pm
God-Joined:Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:18 pm
RedBearded
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Andropov4 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:35 am

Ericthebearjew wrote:
gisambards wrote:If Nintendo haven't created legions of real Pokémon to release into the world - with all the inevitable pandemonium that would bring - I shall be very disappointed.

According to Bulbapedia, in the continuity of the games, there is only around around 4050 people in the Pokemon World. That's less people than those who were left after the Toba Event. Which isn't exactly surprising, if you think about it. It certainly makes Team Flare's goals a lot, lot creepier, that's for sure.

Considering they live in a world with a multitude of monsters that can breathe fire, shoot lightning, cause spontaneous floods, and so on, it's amazing there are any humans left. Seriously, how did we make it in that universe?

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby El Saico » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:50 am

It's on! (at least on Android)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .pokemongo

Google Play won't let me install it because of bullshit regional restrictions, but downloading and running the APK by hand works.
I'd go to the nearby church to get a couple Pokéballs, but it's nearly 10pm here.

The path to wisdom does, in fact, begin with a single step.

Where people go wrong is in ignoring all the thousand other steps that come after it. They make the single step of deciding to become one with the universe, and for some reason forget to take the logical next step of living for 70 years on a mountain and a daily bowl of rice and yak-butter tea that'd give it any kind of meaning. While evidence says that the road to hell is paved with good intentions, they’re probably all first steps.
El Saico
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: Serial Hit-and-Runner

Postby Windy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:27 pm

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:35 pm

No it hasn't. Read the article.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Windy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:00 am

Wat about this?

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DashaBlade » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:32 am

Gotta say I'm amazed that a Pokemon player was able to tear himself away from the game long enough to leave the house and go somewhere that's not a game store to get a Pokemon.

My daughter used to make me walk her Pokewalker, though, so... maybe a bit biased, I am.

DashaBlade
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cat Lady

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:17 am

I keep hearing this game destroys battery life. Can you folks confirm?

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:30 am

I just played it for about an hour in low battery mode. I only lost about 5% of my charge.

I already have a bunch of pokeballs and I caught an eevee.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Next