Letting off steam about Steam.

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Re: Letting off steam about Steam.

Postby rowdyrodimus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:04 pm

Still with all the workarounds and "at least it's not's", whatever happened to just buying a game, putting it in whatever it's for (computer or console) and just playing the game without needing all this other BS?

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Lord Of Nothing

Postby JamishT » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:22 am

rowdyrodimus wrote:Still with all the workarounds and "at least it's not's", whatever happened to just buying a game, putting it in whatever it's for (computer or console) and just playing the game without needing all this other BS?

Amen, brother.

*Not actually my hand, nor my picture.*

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:45 pm

So I bought EU4's latest expansion: Dharma. Full price, because Paradox has gotten annoying about sales and I wanted to check it out.

It would not install, so I tried a bunch of stuff to troubleshoot. Then I contacted Steam support, with trepidation, because I have heard they are notoriously unhelpful. That did not disappoint in that regard, though did in every other respect.

First response twenty-four hours later, they told me to try two things I already said I tried, and go over the troubleshooting guide.

It looks like you are experiencing an app configuration unavailable error while trying to install Europa Universalis IV: Dharma. This error indicates that your Steam Client failed to download app information from our servers, or failed to load it from a local cache.

Our Update & Installation Issues article has steps for resolving this issue. You will want to make sure that you perform the following fixes as they pertain directly to the error you are experiencing:

Restart your computer
Clear download cache

If you've tried all of these and are still encountering the error, you'll want to check to make sure that the license for this game is associated with your account. This can be confirmed at the link https://store.steampowered.com/account/licenses/ while logged into the Steam account.

If it shows there correctly and you're still seeing the problem, or anything changed after performing the troubleshooting steps from the article above, make sure to include that information as well.

Carry the fire,
<redacted>

This is a typical tech support thing: assume people are stupid assholes who don't read anything and tell them to try everything they were supposed to try before contacting you. I was pissed that it took them 24 hours to give a canned response a bot could have given in seconds, but not at the response itself. And in fairness, I had not told them that I had already tried the troubleshooting guide, plus as it turned out there was an advanced section with a couple of applicable things I had not tried. So I tried those things and still no dice.

Here I describe everything I tried
Yes, I already tried both of those and I have confirmed that the license is associated with my account. Here is a list of what I have tried, including every applicable option on both the basic and advanced options of your troubleshooting guide and several which are not on it.

1. Deleting appinfo.vdf
2. Clearing the download cache
3. Both of the solutions suggested here: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/ ... 7336796689
4. Deleting the Steam Client and all Steam folders except steamapps, then reinstalling.
5. Restarting my computer
6. Going in offline and then online mode.
7. Deleting the browser cache.
8. Changing my download server.
9. Closing every other application that is connected to the internet, doing both of the above and then restarting Steam.
10. Adding -tcf to the filename. (On OSX this converts it to a folder.)
11. Restarting router and modem.
12. Using a different network.
13. Repairing disk permissions.

Additionally, two suggestions from your troubleshooting guide do not work.
14. Verifying local folders simply shows a 0% status screen for hours.
15. On the OSX version of the Steam client, there is no option to repair local folders if you right-click.

I have attached screenshots to show both of these steps not working.

The remaining advanced solutions are inapplicable. I do not have a firewall or antivirus software and my computer is not and has never been overclocked.

I did more googling and found a suggestion that the issue may be with corrupted local files. As I noted, verify local files simply sits at zero (see previous screenshots above). To test whether this was the issue, I uninstalled and tried to reinstall Crusader Kings II. I got the error you can see in the screenshot below. So while verifying local files does not work, it appears to not be the issue.
Files attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 8.48.03 PM.jpg

They got back quicker, to tell me that it is no longer supported.

OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) and older is no longer supported by Steam. Steam on Mac requires at least OS X 10.11 ("El Capitan") or higher. This is because Apple does not provide security updates for these operating systems anymore.

Your Steam account, as well as any associated games and purchases will continue to be accessible through all supported platforms. If you continue to use OS X 10.10 or older the client may remain functional and accessible for a time, however should you experience any technical issues we will be unable to provide support while using this OS.

Steam Support
<redacted>

One thing that annoys me here is that Steam updates are mandatory and yet apparently break on older OSes. I was extremely pissed because I thought that my options were "give Apple money" and "never try new EUIV content until I get a new computer, but avi informs me that new versions of OSX are now free. Hopefully he is right and I can upgrade OSX.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby IamNotCreepy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:40 pm

Between that and your keyboard issues, you might as well just get new computer...

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby cmsellers » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:56 pm

When I finally get a job, I plan to.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep