Fallout 4

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:01 am

A mod to check out- Wasteland Imports

It adds some West Coast items to the game in shops and for crafting, most notably:
dynamite
healing powder
atomic cocktails
mfc grenades
powder charges
old style magazines
sunset sarsparilla
And, curiously, gas bombs. Kind of weird considering you find those in the Sierra Madre. Did the surviving ghost people set up a trading outpost or....?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Marcuse » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:11 am

I finally figured out the bartering system in Fallout 4. Trading isn't something I usually do a lot of, because there's normally so much loot about that it's not worth the time to collect up weighty guns and sell them.

I realised on my current playthrough that they'd done something weird in the balancing of prices in the game. Guns are almost worthless, even when you have sales perks and decent charisma, but ammunition is a uniform 1 cap per bullet. This means ammo is essentially a secondary currency when it comes to bartering and when I realised that I never paid for another thing with caps again. Seriously, invest a couple of points into the scrounger perk, and you'll have several thousand 5mm rounds all the time which can be traded for nearly anything you want. If you're clever about your offensive perks, then ammo types like 5mm, 10mm and .38 can turn into a font of free money picked up from containers and enemies all the time. It means you can easily afford multiple shipments of common items you run short of so that you can keep making things and upgrading things with the minimum of fuss.

As an aside, for players who have the Far Habour DLC installed, please beware of when you do the Randolph Safehouse missions for the Railroad. I've taken three of them in a row, having reached level 45-49 and explored a lot of the Commonwealth, and the missions keep on sending me to clear places out on the Island. If you're looking to save the FH DLC until after the main questline is finished, I'd recommend doing the Randolph missions before you search through the whole Commonwealth. If nothing else, it's awkward and annoying.

Edit: Also, the "hunt and kill a courser" missions nearer the end of the main questline will TOTALLY send you to the middle of fucking Nuka World...

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:29 pm

You know what makes survival mode fun? A gun that lets you slow down time when you aim. Man is that a fun thing to use when your damage output is boosted so you can kill raiders with a pipe revolver pistol in one or two shots. I started a new game, to be a little more prepared for survival mode and focusing on pistols because they work so much better for stealth and make the game more fun because you have to work on having better reflexes because you can't just shoot enemies down at long range. The 10mm pistol you get at the start is a perfect weapon because it only requires gun nut level 2 to fully upgrade it with an advanced receiver and a silencer. But nothing compared to my deadeye pipe revolver pistol.

Also I figured out the best way to make short work of super mutants: explosives. Even on survival mode frags and molotovs are plentiful, and if you can get the drop on them, you can blow them up before they gun you down. The molotovs work well on ghouls too, because they burst instantly, and cripple the legs. I spent ages trying to kill a Glowing One until I managed to cripple one of its legs with a grenade and could shoot it down with my 10mm at leisure.

Also pick up the .44 pistol near Sanctuary. Trust me you'll need it.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:49 pm

I avoided the 10mm because it looks so ugly. Mods have now solved that issue, thankfully, but I still have to fight the habit of treating 10mm ammunition as a form of barterable currency. The game lost a good chunk of its challenge when I realised that leg shots could diminish the danger posed by almost (fuck you, assaultrons) all enemy types to laughable levels. Lazily strolling along the waterfront with half a dozen crippled mirelurks limping after me a few paces back is satisfaction's dictionary definition.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:47 pm

I was so very tempted to do a 'final playthrough', as it were, on Survival Mode. Everything else I could handle, until it said 'no fast travel', which, in a game that requires you to haul shit back and forth if you want to build super-mega settlements like me (I know, I know, I'm part of the reason the game's this way) is something of a problem. I usually end up completely kitted out with both deep pocketed polymer combat armor, fully-modded guns, and a completely upgraded X-01 by lvl 30, so I was ready until I started and realized that no fast traveling was one of the restrictions.

Otherwise, it'd be an awesome mode.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:04 pm

I just stumbled over a discussion of what the game might have been like if both Nate and Nora escaped the vault in 2287. Admittedly, it would throw out the current (mediocre) plot, and I suppose we would also miss out on that Bethesda romance writing we all so love, but the idea of running two simultaneous characters is pretty cool. The follower system which already exists in the game could support a GTA:V style protagonist swapping model rather well and that could open up a whole breadth of strategic elements to the gameplay. You could even implement old fashioned 2 player co-op on that format.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:35 pm

So, basically, a fallout tactics style mod similar to the all companions mod from New Vegas?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:20 am

Screenshot_20161217-191817.jpg
Screenshot_20161217-191817.jpg (809.71 KiB) Viewed 7235 times

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby mancityfooty » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:30 am

jesus, that's me in about 6 years

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:48 am

God bless you, mans1ay3r.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:59 am

Screenshot_20170121-214520.jpg
Screenshot_20170121-214520.jpg (993.27 KiB) Viewed 7171 times

BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Screenshot_20170212-071731.jpg
Screenshot_20170212-071731.jpg (701.78 KiB) Viewed 7153 times

BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:34 pm

Screenshot_20170217-083308.jpg
Screenshot_20170217-083308.jpg (610.48 KiB) Viewed 7135 times

BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:06 am

Spoiler: show

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:43 am

I love that mod, but yeah, I wonder how it determines resource values at times.

BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

PreviousNext