Life Is Strange

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Life Is Strange

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri May 22, 2015 10:12 pm

So, due to this episodic video game being plastered all over xbox live, I gave in and purchased the first episode. It's suprisingly really good despite its blatant hipsteryness. Unfortunately, I have to wait until June to purchase the rest of it. Anyone else play this?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: Life Is Strange

Postby Rengiil » Thu May 28, 2015 4:11 am

I played the first episode a while back for the computer. Surprisingly fresh take on the indie storytelling medium. Also doesn't hurt that Maxine is as cute as a button. On a side note, I've finally made an account here after that Nicholas Pell article. Saw your comment about this place, remembered it existed. And here I am.

Rengiil
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Ultima Forsan

Postby Ribby » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:26 am

I got hella sick of Max and her 'cutesy' comments very quickly...

*gets a drinks can from a machine* "Release the Kraken" ... Sigh

*pries open a grate with a knife* "my blade will open any portal" SHUT UP MAX- stop talking to yourself like an idiot!

I can't really get other the dialogue and nothing really grabbed me in episode one or two but three was better I found

Ribby
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:27 am

I disagree, I found the dialogue very..........good to flow.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:09 am

Ericthebearjew wrote:So, due to this episodic video game being plastered all over xbox live, I gave in and purchased the first episode. It's suprisingly really good despite its blatant hipsteryness. Unfortunately, I have to wait until June to purchase the rest of it. Anyone else play this?

I actually played a bit of this and could not stand it in the least. I liked what it was trying to do, but holy shit, everyone was a hipster! Like...whether the teacher, or a student, the bongo player hired to accompany the open mic poetry slam or the janitor, everyone was talking like their heads were lodged so firmly up their asses that they forgot how normal conversation works. Seriously, nobody talks like the characters in Life is Strange.

I don't usually give to much attention to dialogue unless it's very good or very bad, but for your Telltale-esque kind of game, dialogue is a massively important thing for me, since it's expected to carry a lot of the game. So I couldn't really get past about...I think it was half an hour?

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby LaChaise » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:32 pm

What Doodle said. I liked the idea, the design and the story and I really tried to get into it, but Holy Portland Batman! All the characters are insufferable! I usually don't really like the American high school context because it's so full of the same tired tropes, but this was going one step further.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:46 pm

Just finished episode 4, and goddamn this game is fucked up! And as it turns out, The YA novel stuff is only really heavy in episode 1. Or maybe not. I don't know, I live like 30 minutes away from Davis. But seriously, DonTnoD is fucked up.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:16 am

So, Calluna finished up her Let's Play of this game, and I saw something that I missed that occurs during the nightmare sequence that just might be the best thing in the history of ever!
Spoiler: show
Pompidou Text.jpg
Pompidou Text.jpg (60.2 KiB) Viewed 6908 times

Oh, Pompidou!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:42 pm

I liked it alright but it definitely had its faults. Didn't really like the characters either.

The nighrmare stuff freaked me right out though. I get scared very easily.

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Postby AboveGL » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:18 pm

I'm loving this, albeit more for the story. I feel like all the common tropes and irritating slang should make me despise the characters, but I don't, even though I often find myself muttering "good fucking God, why?" whenever one of Max's thoughts are played ("Frisco"? Really? *ugh*). I don't know if it's because I'm easily entertained, but for all the understandable gripes expressed here, the game seems to do a good job of putting me right in their shoes and actually making me care for them. I've generally been missing that a lot from media lately.

I also might just have a thing for the typical high school scene, though it's something I only periodically enjoy. Cranking up the tropes and cliches to eleven has only numbed me to them.

Did I say I love the story? And the manner it unfolds? I was never really shocked at any of the twists and developments, but the execution easily made up for that.

Closing remark (for now): why the fuck did I not get started on this sooner?

Last edited by AboveGL on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:21 pm

So,
Bae or Bay
?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby AboveGL » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:59 pm

I chose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay at first, but I replayed that sequence with the alternate option. Though choosing to sacrifice Chloe was difficult (I had a feeling that in some branch or another, she would have to die), I found that ending far more satisfying.

Also:

I'm rather disappointed in the explanation for the storm. I was hoping it would something far more awesome, but that ended up being a massive anti-climax. The main reason I chose to sacrifice the town at first was because I doubted Max's confidence she actually caused it. And I'm pretty sure chaos theory can't be used to explain away weird and near impossible things.

Whatever. I'm just gonna feel sad for the next few days (the last time I felt that way was when I completed Burial at Sea Episode 2).

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:40 am

AboveGL wrote:
I chose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay at first, but I replayed that sequence with the alternate option. Though choosing to sacrifice Chloe was difficult (I had a feeling that in some branch or another, she would have to die), I found that ending far more satisfying.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep