What do you name your characters?

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Re: What do you name your characters?

Postby sunglasses » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:28 pm

Depends on the game and my mood. Just a few I've used in various games: Bitch, Helen, Colette, Lynne, Maeve, Morgan, EmoCloud (FFVII), and Bridget. My various gamer tags/user names are completely random. Like mediocremedusa for xbox live for no reason other than that's what I felt like typing. Toasted Souls for L.o.L. because I had the line "Toasted souls of the damned" in my head from rereading Squee!

Last edited by sunglasses on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Lindvaettr » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:02 pm

I think I go super-overboard naming characters that don't already have a name (as others have said, my Link is named Link). I usually take a look at some website that has the names of characters in the game, figure out what style names they use, and then figure out something from there. Dragon's Dogma, for example, uses predominantly French names, so I named my character Etienne. I also use that name for Bretons in TES. Nords are Iorik or Kjell or something. Redguards are usually something Middle Eastern-y, since they have Middle Eastern-y names.

Shepard was John Shepard, because I'm boring that way.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby forgotmyusername » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:21 pm

My Skyrim character was called Mittens. He was one of the cat people.

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want, but I have a very particular lack of skills. I will never be able to find you. But what I do have is two dollars and a Casio watch. You can have one.
forgotmyusername
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:34 pm

I use the default names. If those aren't available, I name them "Avi" because that's my name. The exception is WoW, where I have no standard naming rules. I've named my characters Sourmilk, TheLuggage, Brutillus, Ifdef, and more.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby sunglasses » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:40 pm

forgotmyusername wrote:My Skyrim character was called Mittens. He was one of the cat people.

That is beautiful.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Midas Burroughs » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:50 pm

sunglasses wrote:Toasted Souls for L.o.L. because I had the line "Toasted souls of the damned" in my head from rereading Squee!

I play that one, too. Name's Count Dante, after the lunatic who sold ninja lessons in comic books. I don't play much of any other game but when I do I like naming characters Bruce Willis and making them look like him if possible.

Resident expert of disagreeing and fruit.
Midas Burroughs
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Advocatus Diaboli

Postby Ganymede314 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:21 pm

Always space related names for me, my favourites are Ganymede, Enceladus, and Arcturus. Not very girly, but I love those names!

"The Cosmos is all that is or was or ever will be. Our feeblest contemplations of the Cosmos stir us -- there is a tingling in the spine, a catch in the voice, a faint sensation, as if a distant memory, of falling from a height. We know we are approaching the greatest of mysteries."
-Carl Sagan
Ganymede314
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Space Face

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:27 am

I usually like to play fantasy RPGs, and when I don't I just name the character after myself. But when playing dnd or skyrim etc I choose one from a set of caracters. Here are my Stock names and the Personas they Represent:

Berend Ironheart: Generally filling the tank role, He is compassionate and brave if a bit thick. He is a selfless ally, and fiercely loyal. He is typically A dwarf paladin, but can be a human warrior. I use him when I want to play as a typical hero.

Caerdwyn of Arathas: The brains of the possible options, He is either controll or support (wizard or warlord) and is fast talking and allways has a trick up his sleeve. He is charismatic, he usually uses his wits to get him and his friends out of trouble before resorting to violence, but is more than prepared to hand out an ass-whupping. I usually like him as a half-elf, the bastard son of an elf ranger and a human duchess. I use him as my pragmatic and a teensy bit badass adventurer.

Iouban the Red: He/she is a tiefling ranger who makes their way as a highwaymen, using their nature savvy and bow skills to take on traveling merchants, but recently has joined an adventuring company to find riches in caves and dungeons after having scared off trade caravans. He/she is for when I feel like not giving a crap about morality and see how the game treats evil actions, or if my party just needs a striker.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby jollybootsofdoom » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:20 am

I like to name my characters in homage of some of my other characters from games, tv, movies and books. For instance, my female city elf thief in Dragon Age: Origins was named Zorah, in honor of Tali from Mass Effect. My femshep infiltrator in ME was named Samus Shepard, after Samus from Metroid.

I also have a love of Alice in Wonderland, so I try to throw that in where I feel it is the most appropriate/funny. Which is why I had one Kahjiit named Cheshyre, and another named Juan Durland in Skyrim.

jollybootsofdoom
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby The Enginarr » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:52 am

Stealthy people will be made male and called ferretlac.

Male wizards will be called nobelium. (if I can make a surname it will be Lincoln because the first person I made could summon a bear and got a top hat)

Female mages will be called futhorgil.

medics get a pun on penicillin. :P

The Enginarr
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep

Postby jayman419 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:37 am

If it's an offline game, I usually go with Ender. I loved that book back in the day, and most SNES games had a max of 6 characters for naming your PC, so it always always worked.

I play WoW as a paladin named Victorious. I carried that name over from EQ where I was a shaman named Victorious Methods. Most of the time if it's some kind of multiplayer, and I can get it without having to spell it funky or add a bunch of numbers, I'll go with Victorious.

I've also used Oath, Shatteroath, Gyth Yankee, and a few dozen others.

Even after all this time, the Sun never says to the Earth "You owe me".
Look what happens with a love like that... it lights the whole sky.
~Hafiz
jayman419
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby moosemaimer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:22 pm

My Diablo characters are all a play on words... I had a lightning sorc named nostaticcling, a zon called ohnoesbows, and a barb mule named deuceandahalf.

Bethesda characters are all being given one of The Many Names of David Ryder... so far I've used Punch Rockgroin for my FO3 guy and Gristle McThornbody for my Khajiit.

Freelance hobo
moosemaimer
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Roflface » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:57 am

I have 5 different names I name all my characters in every game, in this order:
Roflface
Hilarity
Kokaine
Middelfingar
Bean

If I make more than 5 characters, I go into a quiet panic and spend 30 minutes thinking up a ridiculous name that I will most certainly hate later.

You can always sue someone.

"There's nothing that a bucket of spiders can't fix." - Grim
Roflface
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Tee hee

Postby dargonhuman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:22 pm

I usually go with Dargon, or if that's taken (usually is with online games) I tack on -human.
The Dargon came from an intentional mispelling of "Dragon" for Breath of Fire that I just fell in love with, the -human came on when I used the name for Warcraft 3 and wanted to differentiate my save files (so there was Dargonhuman, Dargonorc, Dargonundead and Dargonelf). Since most games lean heavily on human-based player characters, I tend to use Dargonhuman most.

dargonhuman
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Nosvertu » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:35 am

If it's a fantasy RPG or the like, I'll typically name my main character Nosvertu. Otherwise I'll name them Viktor or Vladimir or Kleiner. If it's a female, my first choice is Atzuna, then Anya. If you couldn't tell, I have a penchant for Russo-Germanic names.

In seinem Haus am R'lyeh wartet totes Cthulhu träumen.
Nosvertu
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

PreviousNext