This War of Mine

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

This War of Mine

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:54 am

Since I mentioned it on the Papers, Please? review, I thought I'd mention this game here.

This War of Mine is a game that's kinda like a mix of all these shitty indie crafting/survival games that keep popping up on Steam and the most hardcore game of The Sims you can imagine. You control a certain amount of people in a house they're taking shelter in during a civil war. The objective is to manage their hunger, wounds, sickness, exhaustion, warmth and mood, all while upgrading the home you're squatting in to keep out raiders and sending someone out to scavenge at night.

It's a very fun and cheerful game, as you can see.

It's one of the first times a crafting system made sense, because instead of crashing your planeboat into a zombie-infested mountainisland, this is a real thing that sometimes happens to people. The concern isn't with the civil war, as both the soldiers and the rebels are depicted as terrible. Your job is just to survive. It's also the first game of this type I've seen where not only is combat not emphasized, the only playthrough I've won was one where I never got into combat.

Of course, sometimes the game likes to exploit your preconceived notions. One time I was scavenging somebody else's house and came up on some dude who started charging at me. I shot him, and just as I was about to move past him to the fridge, his sister came down and started crying over his dead body. I'd assumed he was just a rebel or something. I went charging in heroically when a soldier was trying to rape a scavenger he'd stumbled onto, only to get shot for the trouble. I still clubbed him to death (and got a sweet assault rifle for my trouble), but still, point is that it's not just 'show up here and loot the place', there may be things going down at those places, and almost every place unlocked later in the game is guarded by people with guns.

It's possible to die of hunger, to freeze to death, to get killed by the rebels/soldiers, to waste away of illness and even for one of your people to become so depressed they kill themselves.

So if you enjoy being depressed and miserable, crafting systems or these kinds of narratives, I'd recommend it. If you're a 'gameplay over story' kind of person, you might not be able to get into it.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Re: This War of Mine

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:34 am

I got one question, is it free?

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:01 pm

Can I make everyone die of depression?

I want the world to know how I feel.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:01 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:Can I make everyone die of depression?

I want the world to know how I feel.

If you die of depression there will be a lot of newly depressed people now that you left them.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man