Bayonetta 2

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Bayonetta 2

Postby QuincyMorris » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:57 am

Just finished it. Can't say I liked it too much, to be honest. It was certainly a step down from the original, in most aspects. The boss fights in particular are a MASSIVE downgrade from the original. Try watching a stream of Bayonetta 1's final boss and compare it to Bayonetta 2's final boss. The difference is downright embarassing, and the entire game is like that. The story and writing is also noticeably worse. Character phrase things using the most awkward intonation and phrasing imaginable, the story itself has absolutely no structure or any of the original's charm, and the absolutely INSANE last few chapters, I think, may be the most bizarre and nonsensical use of Time Travel I have ever seen, in any medium. There are some good ideas hidden in there.
Spoiler: show
Bayonetta meeting her parents is actually pretty cute...
But on the whole, they are bogged down by an unbelievably uninspired plot.

Oh yeah, and I was surprised at how little focus we're given on the sexualization of the character, this time round. You have her showing off in the opening cutscene, but that's about it. It's a silly thing, but recent events made me want to reconsider my stance on Bayonetta... again. If anything, all playing this game did was convince me that she's really fucking cool and that people who complain about oversexualization really don't know what they are talking about.

Basic combat is fine, admittedly... I think it's just as good as the original (If not better) but it gets bogged down by all the boss fights, which, to be honest, could probably have passed for major enemies in the first game. The art is up and away the game's strongest point... the game looks good, particularly the environments.

Bayonetta 2 isn't necessarily a bad game, exactly, but I did expect a lot more from it, considering how good the first game is. I was expecting it to be one of the Wii U's best, but personally, I think it's just 'okay.' It's certainly playable, challenging (Well, on 3rd climax, anyway) and has a bit of replay value (Although the achievements in this game are shockingly easy for a Platinum title) and the weapons are awesome (Who doesn't want a live Chain Chomp strapped to your leg?) It's certainly worth playing, especially since it comes with the first game, which DOES deserve all the praise it gets.

"Mr. Potter... Our new Celebrity."
QuincyMorris
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Re: Bayonetta 2

Postby Jack Road » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:59 am

What is going on with Platinum? That is their second flop this year. And is it really only available for Wii U? Who made that terrible decision?

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:00 pm

Nintendo made that decision when they bought publishing rights from Sega. Ya know I'd be all for buying a Wii U if they knock a hundred bucks off the price. Or, if, I could just get a chain chomp augment for my leg.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:05 am

Bayonetta 3 has been announced as being in development for the Switch.

I lol'd at Endgame's opinion on the developer's flame war.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh