Batman Arkham City

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Batman Arkham City

Postby Ivan Vodkov » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:29 pm

DAMN this game is awesome. I've been playing games since the mid-90s, so I've played thousands and beaten hundreds of them, so it's pretty hard to impress me and make me want to 100% your game, but this one did it. The challenges are a handful for sure; the last Predator challenge gave me incredible amounts of butthurt, and when I finally beat that FUCKING challenge, I ran around the room screaming "Yeah! Yeah, motherfuckers, up yours, Riddler, I'm the goddamn Batman!" for a few minutes. I can't remember the last time a gave had such an effect on me, it was probably somewhere in the early 2000s. I've only got 67% so far, I still have to do a few Batman challenges, all the other characters' challenges, every campaign, and find about 100 Riddler trophies and solve about 15 riddles, but I ain't stopping now, no way; I'm 100%-ing this son of a bitch even if it takes me months to do it.
Spoiler: show
Mainly because the Riddler trophies paid off in an awesome way in Arkham Asylum, I'm wondering what's going to happen here.
I also really like the fact that this is one of the few post-2005 mainstream games that you can actually be good at; you can't be good at, say, Assassin's Creed or Far Cry 3, but you sure as hell can be good at this one. I'm actually kind of surprised this game isn't really popular with the hardcore crowd.

Anyway, do you love the hell out of this game, and why yes?

Vodkov isn't my real last name, but I fucking wish it was.
Ivan Vodkov
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Re: Batman Arkham City

Postby LaChaise » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:37 pm

Arkham Asylum and City were both awesome. They really managed to catch the feeling of being Batman, the universe, the characters, everything. It works so well, especially since I wasn't a fan of the Nolan trilogy as Batman movies (though they are excellent action movies).

Also, I really like the story itself. They managed to cram this many characters in Arkham City without it looking too forced, I was quite impressed by that.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby malosaires » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:42 pm

I liked the game overall, but the story seemed kind of muddled on reflection. Get the interactions between the villains on the streets, and might have liked a bit more payoff with Two-Face, but the whole Strange-Ras angle made no sense to me. Why the hell is Strange working with Ras? If Ras is looking to destroy all crime, why does he want Batman to kill him now? Why is he telling Batman to lead his armies? Also, isn't he supposed to be an Eco-terrorist?

I've got a tumblr where I write about stuff, some of which is also on this site. I've also got a few videos you might wanna check out.
malosaires
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Pre-Futurist

Postby gregfrankenstein » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:55 pm

What I find amazing about this game is that it's a boatload of fun whether you're a veteran gamer or a bumbling maladroit like me, because either way, it's super satisfying to go around punching dudes, and it's done in such a way that you never really feel like you're failing yet always feel like you're working toward something.

gregfrankenstein
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Heightener of Fives

Postby QuincyMorris » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:09 am

I played the Wii U version. I'm not too impressed, but it wasn't exactly a waste of money either. I liked playing through it, sure. But none of the challenge modes interest me, The DLC is rather dull, the story is rather terrible, and flying around the city taking out the same thugs over and over again lost it's luster eventually.

I wouldn't necessarily call it bad, but it's not really good either.

"Mr. Potter... Our new Celebrity."
QuincyMorris
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:06 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby Revolutionist » Sun May 05, 2013 1:11 am

I finished the game then the save file killed itself. So I picked up the Game of the Year Edition and finished that baby all over again. That's how much I loved this game.

Never got around to playing Arkham Asylum but I'm thinking of picking it up soon.

Revolutionist
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep