Metro 2033

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Metro 2033

Postby Blackfish » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:51 am

I just started playing this game. Gotta say, I'm a bit torn.

The bleak atmosphere and graphics are great. I love that ammo is so scarce (I'm playing on 'Ranger Easy' difficulty). It really puts you in the mindset of post-apocalyptia, something the Bethesda Fallout games lacked. I'd often be praying that I didn't run into any enemies instead of itching for a fight. Running out of ammo is always a real possibility if you don't play carefully. I also like the mostly diagetic UI - bringing up your watch to see how much longer your gas filters will last, for example.

But in other ways it seems frustratingly old-school. Notably, there's no dedicated grenade button, meaning to use a grenade you need to press the hotkey for a grenade, then click to throw it. It lacks a cover system, which is a problem in this game as you will die from a single headshot, or three to four bodyshots. And it uses a checkpoint system to save. I can't remember the last game I played that solely uses checkpoints to save.

There's also that whole thing with communists and Nazis. I can kind of get the commies - Russia has been under communism for so long, it makes sense that some enclaves have chosen to readopt Stalinism. But what the hell is up with the Nazis? At first I thought it was just some derogatory nickname for the diehard enemies of the Stalinist enclave, but no, they're your stereotypical Nazis transplanted into this grim future Moscow - they use German honorifics and have Panzers. It's weird and immersion-breaking. Is there an in-story explanation for this?

But anyway. I don't want to seem too down on this game. It's pretty good, and I'm having fun playing it. Anyone else play this game?

In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
Blackfish
Dr. Jan Itor
Dr. Jan Itor

Show rep
Title: Holy Mop Master Race

Re: Metro 2033

Postby JamesT » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:56 pm

I played it a year or so ago and loved the oppressive atmosphere of the whole thing. It and STALKER are some of my favorite examples of video games that really make you feel like you're in an inhospitable place where people are only barely surviving.

The monsters were creepy as hell too.

As for the Nazis, maybe the wiki explains it: http://metrovideogame.wikia.com/wiki/Fourth_Reich

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

Re: Metro 2033

Postby idontlivehere1122 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:04 pm

Quite possibly the most linear game I've ever played. Its right there in the name - "Metro". That said, it had great atmosphere and I love the entire (rare) ammo as currency/ammo thing. I don't know if its worth full price, but I bought it at a 75% steam discount and it was money well spent, no regrets.

Still alive, not a good thing. Fuck life.
idontlivehere1122
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep