Paradox games

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Re: Paradox games

Postby Lindvaettr » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:51 am

Oh, wow. That's way more than I expected. Definitely a lot of help. I like to figure things out on my own, so I think I'll try (for now) to avoid videos and AARs, but there's so much stuff going on that I was getting frustrated, especially since the tutorial kept bugging out on me and getting stuck, so I gave up on that. Thanks a ton, Blackfish. I'll start using your tips next time I play, maybe tonight yet, even.

Sorry for taking so long to respond back, by the way. I kind of forgot I posted this here, for a few days. If I get stuck further on, I'll hit you up. Seems like you're a pretty good teacher. Thanks!

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby Blackfish » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:48 pm

Yeah, Paradox tutorials are famously terrible and unhelpful, CK2's is no exception. Avoid them like the plague.

I've been playing Europa Universalis IV a bit (came out yesterday) though, and the tutorial button is actually kind of helpful. I still got trounced, of course, because the time period and some of the flavour text aside, it's really a completely different game from its predecessor. Going to give it another go as Poland next, maybe.

In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
Blackfish
Dr. Jan Itor
Dr. Jan Itor

Show rep
Title: Holy Mop Master Race

Postby cmsellers » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:35 am

Necroing this thread, since I know that the mods here don't like multiples, and since it gives me an excuse to respond to ancient comments.
Blackfish wrote:Yeah, Paradox tutorials are famously terrible and unhelpful, CK2's is no exception. Avoid them like the plague.

I actually found the EUIV tutorial quite helpful, though I do wish they'd told us how to upgrade units. I played my entire first game with Latin Medieval Infantry. Admittedly I gave that game up halfway through, after the second time a colonial nation dragged me into an unplanned war. (After that I set MAX_CROWN_COLONIES = 1024.)

Blackfish wrote:I've been playing Europa Universalis IV a bit (came out yesterday) though, and the tutorial button is actually kind of helpful. I still got trounced, of course, because the time period and some of the flavour text aside, it's really a completely different game from its predecessor. Going to give it another go as Poland next, maybe.

Poland has to be the single most-overpowered nation in the game. You can probably get a stronger start as England, France, Castille, or Portugal (colonizing early and conquering Eurasia from the east, but considering how Poland fell apart historically, it's amazing how much it blobs every game where I don't destroy it in the beginning.

My current game is as Poland, or rather as the Commonwealth, only with Prussian-culture and a capital in Istanbul. I'm also the hereditary Holy Roman Empire, and I'm currently trying to get as much of Europe under my control as possible, so I can release them a ton of vassals and revoke the privilegia.

David Wong wrote:7. "But this is the last non-terrible forum on the internet! The rest are full of trolls and Nazis!"

That's just not true at all.
cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Arakiven » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:28 am

I never even bothered with the tutorial on Europa 4 and just watched YouTube videos until I got the gist of it (which might be why I'm not the best player)
Also, it is painfully obvious that the Golden Horde has the best start in the game. (sarcasm)

Arakiven
Dr. Jan Itor
Dr. Jan Itor

Show rep
Title: The Sayer of Things

Postby malosaires » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:30 am

Surprised I didn't get into this thread before, seeing as I've been obsessed with CK2 for the last year, and got into HoI 3 during the winter.

I love their shit, I really do, but Let's Plays are the best thing that has ever happened to Paradox, because good god their tutorials suck. They may have finally gotten better with EUIV, but before that they have been terrible. The only worthwhile thing in the Hearts of Iron tutorial is the fact that it is narrated by Hitler.

I've got a tumblr where I write about stuff, some of which is also on this site. I've also got a few videos you might wanna check out.
malosaires
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Pre-Futurist

Postby Tuli » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:26 am

Heads up for anyone who's interested in Paradox games but hasn't taken the plunge yet: Crusader Kings 2 is on Midweek Madness on Steam right now! You can try it for free until the end of the weekend and it's also on steep discount, together with most of the DLCs.

Yes, yes... We must expand...

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby cmsellers » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:06 pm

Tuli wrote:Heads up for anyone who's interested in Paradox games but hasn't taken the plunge yet: Crusader Kings 2 is on Midweek Madness on Steam right now! You can try it for free until the end of the weekend and it's also on steep discount, together with most of the DLCs.

Thanks. I haven't played CK2 yet, even though I have it, but with those discounts its worth getting some DLC for when I do. (I wish I'd gotten Art of War and Wealth of Nations when those were on sale for EU4.)

Rajas of India, Sword of Islam, and Old Gods are obvious because they expand the map, playable countries, and timeframe, in addition to adding all sorts of new dynamics and flavor. Also the CKII->EU4 converter, because at $2.50, why not? More time to build a vast empire.

I know that I don't want Sunset Invasion, and I don't see any need for songs or unit packs. I play with the music off, and good graphics are one of my pet peeves with modern games.

Any other suggestions?

David Wong wrote:7. "But this is the last non-terrible forum on the internet! The rest are full of trolls and Nazis!"

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby El Saico » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:21 am

cmsellers wrote:
Tuli wrote:Heads up for anyone who's interested in Paradox games but hasn't taken the plunge yet: Crusader Kings 2 is on Midweek Madness on Steam right now! You can try it for free until the end of the weekend and it's also on steep discount, together with most of the DLCs.

Thanks. I haven't played CK2 yet, even though I have it, but with those discounts its worth getting some DLC for when I do. (I wish I'd gotten Art of War and Wealth of Nations when those were on sale for EU4.)

Rajas of India, Sword of Islam, and Old Gods are obvious because they expand the map, playable countries, and timeframe, in addition to adding all sorts of new dynamics and flavor. Also the CKII->EU4 converter, because at $2.50, why not? More time to build a vast empire.

I know that I don't want Sunset Invasion, and I don't see any need for songs or unit packs. I play with the music off, and good graphics are one of my pet peeves with modern games.

Any other suggestions?

Sons of Abraham adds Jewish flavour all around the map, plus some extra interaction with the Vatican and the holy orders.
The Republic allows you to play... republics! Gameplay is quite different, and more focused on getting $$$.
Legacy of Rome is useless if you don't play Byzantine, but at this price why not?

After snatching the Charlemagne DLC during the brief time it had a 75% discount, I started a new game on Abyssinia on 769.
First King, then Duke, now "the Usurper" King, with my sister as the Byzantine empress and slowly dismantling the petty kingdoms to get all that sweet de jure land.

Then I'll snatch the Nubian lands to form the Abyssinian Empire and... face the Caliphate on my doorstep. *gasp*

The path to wisdom does, in fact, begin with a single step.

Where people go wrong is in ignoring all the thousand other steps that come after it. They make the single step of deciding to become one with the universe, and for some reason forget to take the logical next step of living for 70 years on a mountain and a daily bowl of rice and yak-butter tea that'd give it any kind of meaning. While evidence says that the road to hell is paved with good intentions, they’re probably all first steps.
El Saico
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: Serial Hit-and-Runner

Postby Tuli » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:44 am

Doesn't Legacy of Rome also add retinues (standing armies) to the game? I haven't played without LoR but that is my understanding. I couldn't imagine the game without retinues!

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby Matt the Czar » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:30 am

I could never get into any of their games, but I had EU 1 and damn, that awesome intro.

"Operation Prepare Your Anus is considered to have been the most thoughtfully planned and masterfully executed humanitarian intervention in American history."-DTanza, alternatehistory.com

Now as a very moral person, I would never sell a pot brownie to a toddler.
I.. I would just GIVE it to them.- CMSellers.
Matt the Czar
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:15 pm

People might want to know that in conjunction with the release of El Dorado, EU4 and most expansions are currently on sale on Steam (El Dorado itself is not, and Art of War is only 25% off).

EU3 and its expansions are also on sale. You can get everything as a package for ten bucks, or the game and the expansions individually for $9.47. I'm considering doing the latter. It may be only playable on Windows, and it may lack a lot of stuff that EUIV has, but it also has a lot of stuff that EUIV doesn't have, and I've been playing games EUIV on the Windows partition anyways.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Matt the Czar » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:49 am

Well, now I am hopelessly addicted to Victoria 2 and CK 2. Looks like I really couldn't help it, considering my only previous Paradox games were EU 1 and EU Rome.

"Operation Prepare Your Anus is considered to have been the most thoughtfully planned and masterfully executed humanitarian intervention in American history."-DTanza, alternatehistory.com

Now as a very moral person, I would never sell a pot brownie to a toddler.
I.. I would just GIVE it to them.- CMSellers.
Matt the Czar
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby GusR » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:44 pm

I had a great time with CK 2 - unfortunately my computer died last weekend, but I will forever remember the time that I, the Emperor of Saxony, assassinated the Byzantine Emperor with exploding poo.

GusR
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:41 am

FYI, all EU4 extensions are currently on sale. All except El Dorado (25% off) are 75% off, including Art of War.

It's like Paradox realized I haven't played EU4 in over a month, and is trying to drag me back in. Well I won't fall for it, you hear me! (Except that I probably will, and I'm definitely buying Art of War.)

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby GusR » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:56 pm

They got me...was waiting for Art of War to go on sale and couldn't resist. Tried to boot it up the other day too, but for some reason my scrolling is all messed up - any movement of the mouse on the map randomly zooms me in and out. Working on figuring out a solution, but been too busy lately to really delve into it.

GusR
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

PreviousNext