Spec Ops: The Line

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Re: Spec Ops: The Line

Postby Learned Nand » Sat May 11, 2013 10:22 pm

Are you at the spot with the boats that have been blown onto land by the sand storm?

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Blackfish » Tue May 14, 2013 7:53 pm

It was a sequence a bit before the heli ride, in chapter 11 ("Alone").

Finally got through it. I realized why I had such a ridiculously hard time with it - I didn't realize you could aim with the turret. Once I figured that out it wasn't too hard. And I just finished the game.

Holy crap, this game is amazing. At least, I enjoyed the heck out of it. Not sure how I'll feel after I've had a couple of days to digest it.

In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
Blackfish
Dr. Jan Itor
Dr. Jan Itor

Show rep
Title: Holy Mop Master Race

Postby QuincyMorris » Tue May 14, 2013 8:39 pm

aviel wrote:Eh, it's pretentious if it's bad. Spec Ops: The Line, isn't bad. It's rather well written. I mean, for fuck's sake, Yahtzee liked it. That's a hard standard to meet.

Eh... Not really. Yahtzee actually has really terrible taste in games. If it has some sort of 'twist' he'll like it. (Bioshock, Shadow of the Colossus, Portal) and then dismiss better games that don't have serious stories.

If I actually watched more of his videos, I imagine I would get the impression that he doesn't actually like playing games, but he's not funny and is certainly uninformative. I'd rather not waste my time.

"Mr. Potter... Our new Celebrity."
QuincyMorris
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Tue May 14, 2013 9:15 pm

Portal was excellent and I suggest that you watch his review of the original BioShock: he called it a "well executed kick in the balls". Whatever the legitimacy of his opinions are, I think it's fair to say he has high standards.

I feel like you're rejecting popular things for the sake of rejecting them so, let me ask: what games do you like, and why?

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby malosaires » Wed May 15, 2013 12:51 am

I'd like to know what you think determines "terrible taste." He has high standards and doesn't write off issues with a game even if he likes it overall, but he will still recommend things that he thinks are good (like the Batman games for example, games without twists that he nitpicked but still recommended.)

I've got a tumblr where I write about stuff, some of which is also on this site. I've also got a few videos you might wanna check out.
malosaires
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Pre-Futurist

Previous