Free Subnautica and the Epic Games Store

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Free Subnautica and the Epic Games Store

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:00 pm

As part of the launch for their new store, Epic Games is giving out a free game a week. In exchange for your soul.

I honestly don't feel great supporting them buying out exclusives, which is always a bad thing. They're also moving opposite Steam on transparency and pandering to devs who've always been way too ban-happy on the steam forums and whining about review bombs. Which steam's summary features are an explicit response to but the devs weren't happy until people couldn't review in the first place, as if momentary changes like shit balancing or MTX or abandonment don't need to be represented in the game's score.

Steam's also been an absolute legend in driving linux support and software standardization. They killed Oculus' moves into walled gardening VR space, supported the development of SDL directly, opensourced their network wrappers, sent patches back to the wine project and recently released a fork of the idea (and first class port support for a majority of Windows games), released simpler PC streaming solutions for couch play, released the wonderful steam controller and exposed the API wrapper so as to allow any controller to have first class support on steam.

As the only company in the space that isn't a fucking parasite and gives back legitimately, Steam has my undying support. So anyone competing them is starting at a disadvantage. But how Epic released it, by stealing games by bribery, headhunting the Steam Spy dev, starting out with no features and no linux support, really annoys me.

Here's the link

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier