Outlast 1+ Whistleblower free on HumbleBundle

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Outlast 1+ Whistleblower free on HumbleBundle

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:02 pm

I'm very lazy about this one because I'm not really into the gorey ones, but I do like the game. but have a transcript of my irc logs because fuck work.

22:29:51 <+lemons> https://www.humblebundle.com/store/outl ... ent=Banner
22:30:02 <+lemons> Spoopy adventure game free on humblebundle
22:30:07 — +lemons prods Ambi
22:30:14 <+lemons> you'll like this 'un
22:30:21 <+lemons> it's got no chill and all the gross
22:30:43 <+lemons> also it's found footage, so dunno if you'll like that bit atleast
22:30:50 <+lemons> it's got atmosphere up the wazoo tho
22:31:05 <+lemons> it uses the camera for nighvision, and that works really well

If anyone wants to actually review the game they're welcome to.

...fine I'll do it

Outlast is a gorey horror survival game that follows a reporter exploring a mental asylum where a megacorp is trying to conduct unethical experiments. It doesn't sound that original but really, tropes are tools, and while the story sounds cliche as hell, it's done well.
There's a really good atmosphere across the whole thing that sticks with you for the entire game. The primary gameplay mechanic is your camera, which provides night vision, but which takes battery to run, which slowly drains as you keep using it.

Essentially the game loop is a first person stealth mission through the asylum with resource management with the batteries, and of course, random documents to piece the story together with.

The collection of this evidence is done in a pretty fun way, with the camera going into record mode when you stare at something important with it.

Overall, it's at worst a horrory walking sim and at best a first person stealth survival game.

It's pretty good for what it is. Just don't expect the gameplay to be much more engaging than figuring out where people are walking and not letting them catch you.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier