Jotun is Free / Impressions Post

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Jotun is Free / Impressions Post

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:02 am

In order to hype their new game Sundered, Thunder Lotus is giving away free copies of their previous game Jotun (GoG and Steam)

It's an amazing looking game, with a hand drawn animation style that's pretty damn Gorgeous.
phpBB [video]

But it's not just the hand drawn animation that's great. It's the camera direction. The game has dynamic zooms that work really well to emphasize scale. You can see the zoom at work in the video I just posted. It's effects can be breathtaking.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

The entire game's filled with these bits where gameplay bits (showing that a boss is about to do an attack) combine with cinematic effects (the zoom) perfectly.

This sort of stuff is pretty common in 3D action games, but the difference here is outside of QTEs it's not done this well. I can't count the number of times I forgot a giant guy was standing behind me in Bayonetta because I needed to do crowd control.

Then there's the exploration bits

Just look at that parallax in the backdrop. All of that is stuff you can explore. I'm repeating myelf a lot here but the game conveys scale so well in everything it does.

Gameplay wise it's a boss/puzzle game much like Shadow of the Colossus or Titan Quest if it wasn't 1-hit-1-kill. There are exploratory segments before each boss where you can learn one of a few skills from a Norse God that will help you in the boss. The skills aren't normally traversal skills though, and range from heals to stuns to extra damage to shields. They're also completely optional. Bosses die to chip damage, which I always find more fun than bosses that don't.

Each boss is unique and has some interesting mechanic or the other to them, and they're very memorable fights. They slowly grow organically in difficulty as bits you learn in the beginning of the boss fight interact with later, harder attacks, making for a complex and difficult fight, reminiscent of some of the best bosses in video gaming.
This is my favourite one (spoilers for pattern recognition boss)

And then there's the music, it's atmospheric and moody and clear in exploration segments, and exhilerating in boss segments. It really needs to be taken as a whole to get how awesomely it all ties in together.

BASICALLY GET THIS THING, IT'S FREE AND IT LOOKS HEAVENLY GOOD.

edit: added trailer

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Re: Jotun is Free / Impressions Post

Postby Ladki96 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:21 pm

Seconding ^^ Downloaded it yesterday, and it's pretty fun so far! The camera thing is really awesome, one second you're going along your way in some small narrow area and then you move a bit further and it zooms out rapidly, showing you as an ant :lol: and I'm barely stressing so far, even in boss levels. It's pretty easy! Once you get the hang of it that is... :P Go get this game guys, you will not be disappointed, hopefully! : ) It's free, so what's the harm in just adding to your library?

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)