Poll: Best Telltale Game

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Best Telltale Games

The Walking Dead
27%
Minecraft: Story Mode
No votes
The Wolf Among Us
36%
Tales from the Borderlands
27%
Batman
No votes
Sam and Max
9%
Game of Thrones
No votes
Guardians of the Galaxy
No votes

Total votes : 11

Poll: Best Telltale Game

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:10 pm

I've been thinking about doing these for a bit for the different companies (Paradox, Pokemon, Bioware, Obsidian, etc), just out of idle curiosity. Since I've recently completed a Telltale game, I thought it best to start here.

Personally, I just finished the Tales from the Borderlands season, and I was like "Hm, it's good, but not as good as TWD or TWAU". With some thought, I've actually revised that and come out on the side of TFTB. As much as I liked the other two, they were very depressing games, while this was the like the video game equivalent of Guardians of the Galaxy (complete with best licensed soundtrack since Saints Row 3). Excellent characters all around, fleshed out a universe you don't really get all that much of in the actual core series, a fun story, and hilarity every second. Can't wait for a Season 2 (Seriously, you're doing Minecraft Season 2 before TWAU or TFTB Season 2?). Anyways: poll.

Last edited by Doodle Dee. Snickers on Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Re: Poll: Best Telltale Game

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:29 pm

I loved the first Chapter of Game of Thrones, went back in a while later and did the whole thing, was pulling my hair out with how much I hated it.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:27 pm

People can give GRRM shit for his writing all they want, but that game is my go-to example for how grimdark fantasy is HARD to pull off right. Because 'edge' gets you nowhere if you aren't already a proficient writer. Because the thing is, Martin doesn't *really* kill people off for no reason, Martin's character deaths may come out of left field right when they happen, but make perfect sense in hindsight, sort of like the punchline to a good joke. Not the Telltale game. Sacrifices that make no god damn sense before or after they happen. Betrayals that make no god damn sense before or after they happen. The weirdest contrivances. Worst of all, it doesn't give you what you want. When you watch Game of Thrones or read A Song of Ice and Fire, you want to be a player in the game, you want to interact with the lushly detailed world of westeros, YOU want to be Daenarys or Stannis or Margaery or Tywin, not their insignificant friend. None of your choices matter, which is doubly damning given that the property concerns political machinations and forethought. Ironrath is fucked no matter what, you can go through any motions you want, doesn't matter, you lose. Doesn't matter which way you play the forester girl, the bitch gets fridged at the end one way or another. What I take from this is that the game is trying to beat me over the head with "life isn't fair", which it goes about very clumsily mind you, and fair enough, that's true, but it's not specifically, diabolically, unfair either, and practically any death or misfortune in the series could have been avoided by a multitude of altered circumstances. That's what tragedy is. Tragedy is not bad things happening, tragedy is a bad thing almost not happening, but then happening anyway. If Romeo had waited like then more seconds before icing himself. If Julius Caesar had listened to his wife. If Bran hadn't climbed that tower. It's the little 'if's that make a good tragedy, if something is inevitable and inalterable, then it isn't tragic. It's just shitty. Like the game. "Shit Happens: A Telltale Game Experience".

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:31 pm

Yeah, I did not like the GOT telltale game. I did like Wolf Among Us but my fav is def the walking dead ones.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby KleinerKiller » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:14 pm

Gotta vote The Walking Dead, just because almost no other piece of media has made me feel the way those two seasons managed to make me feel (I have yet to play the third), but I also vote in spirit for Tales From the Borderlands. It's the perfect blend of comedy, action, occasional emotional gravitas, and meaningful choices, and especially for a Borderlands fan like me, it was one of the best gaming experiences of 2015.

With Minecraft Story Mode having the excuse of being aimed at younger audiences, the Game of Thrones game sticks out as their only swing-and-miss. It starts off with such potential and has a few strong concepts and scenes dotted throughout (the bittersweet ending where the main Forresters get their asses handed to them is especially good, and the closest it ever comes to feeling like Game of Thrones), but it really is just... not very good. It embodies everything Telltale haters think Telltale games are: corny scenes, forced interactions with canon characters, meaningless choices and heavy path scripting, bad programming, tedious cliffhangers, and general nonsense. May we never get a Season 2.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Absentia » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:17 pm

No Sam & Max? For shame.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:47 am

Absentia wrote:No Sam & Max? For shame.

Well, I added the option I didn't think anyone would ask for, and now it's cleared everyone's answers.

I hope you're proud of yourself. Everyone's hard work is now gone. This is what happens when people ask questions.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:24 am

Hey, my next choice was Poker Night at the Inventory. I don't care for the newer ones at all.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:27 am

I've gone for TFTB overall, followed by TWD Season 2, TWAU and TWD Season 1. I found TFTB has almost all of the strengths of the other two - it even manages to get convincingly emotional - but is on top of that incredibly funny. Plus, having recently replayed it I think its rendition of Handsome Jack is now a close second to the Illusive Man to being my favourite video game villain, largely because of - similarly to the Illusive Man - how incredibly well done and surprisingly humanising the final confrontation with him is.

Has anyone played the Batman one? Is it worth picking up while it's on sale?

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:04 pm

I wouldn't go as far as strengths of the other two, I think its more impactful moments are less of the morally agonizing/soul-wrenching choices of TWD or the "Do you want to be the bad cop or badder cop and also don't people just suck?" of TWAU, but TFTB's moments tend to be of the more heartwarming or amazingly silly variety (thus my comparison to GOTG). Moreover, as someone who doesn't really care that much about Borderlands (I've only played like...24 hours of BL2), it made me really love the world of Borderlands and made me want to take another shot at BL2, even as I know that it's like a more interesting but still not good enough Destiny.

As for Batman, I've seen LPs, and it's okay. Not great, not bad, just okay. It's a little wearying to me that Telltale is going for a season two of GOT and Minecraft rather than TFTB or TWAU, which are far superior. But if they're looking to license other IPs, well, Bioware doesn't seem to be doing much with Mass Effect these days, Destiny could use some more filling out, and I'd love to see them try to take on Bioshock.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby LaChaise » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:20 pm

They unfortunately can't really make TWAU season 2 since it's the direct prequel to the comics. They don't do direct adaptations and pretty much all the possible interesting side content to Fables is already covered in the spin-offs.
I kinda hope they make more stuff in the Borderlands universe. I loved TFTB and this is a pretty interesting universe that's waaaaaay underexploited in the main games.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:17 pm

gisambards wrote:Has anyone played the Batman one? Is it worth picking up while it's on sale?

It's more than I was expecting, but a bit less than I was hoping. They put some really interesting spins on familiar characters and scenarios (I especially love their approach to Two-Face and Joker), and there are a lot of fun storytelling beats, but it's mostly non-vital and there isn't a huge amount of either gripping pathos or engaging comedy. And the final showdown with the main antagonist, which is something Telltale usually excels at, is completely generic and underwhelming. You could do worse if it's on sale, though.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:35 am

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol