Life Is Strange: Before The Storm

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Life Is Strange: Before The Storm

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:26 am

On top of a second season, LiS is getting a prequel, focusing on Chloe's relationship with Rachel. It will be developed by Deck Nine Games, and in place of Ashly Burch, Chloe will be voiced by Rhianna Devries.
Spoiler: show
phpBB [video]

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: Life Is Strange: Before The Storm

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:11 am

So, I'm only up to the point where you arrive at Blackwell, but it's looking good so far. Rhianna Devries actually makes an awesome Chloe, the Backtalk ability is fun AF, and David is a lot less of an asshole. Also, I'm liking the graffiti feature. Chloe writes the game's quest objections on her hand. Chloe even has her own Warren, a theater geek named Elliot. Fuck you, Elliot, I'm all about that Amberprice!

Also, this.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby AboveGL » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:05 pm

I plan on finishing the first Life Is Strange tonight, so I'm moving on to this quite soon. Strangely, what's on my mind is how much I like Chloe's voice actor and how much the new actor compares.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby AboveGL » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:04 am

I remember feeling hooked and emotionally invested quite early through Episode 1 of LiS. It took a little longer for BtS, but it was well worth sticking it out. Things really picked up in Episode 2 with Episode 3, despite dividing a lot of fans, really tugging at my heartstrings. Chloe was already a complex character in LiS but this really built more upon her, and even made her more likeable. Rhianna DeVries grew on me as her VA.

And my excitement when I heard the familiar intro to "Bros" by Wolf Alice start playing during the ending montage, which I found both wholly satisfying and gutwrenching.

EDIT: and now I'm listening to a bit of punk rock again.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:10 pm

*points out the post credits scene and runs away laughing like mad to herself before bursting into tears*

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:17 pm

So,
Truth Ending or Lie Ending
?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby AboveGL » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:22 pm

Truth.

I found Rachel to be a manipulative jerk and we all learn how much she kept from Chloe in LiS. But after earning her trust and with the risk she finds out the truth anyway if I try to protect her, I didn't want to jeopardise the friendship.

And holy shit yes, the post-credits scene. That's one thing that makes the ending so bittersweet (or should that be gut-wrenching-sweet?).

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:28 pm

I went with
Lie
Because Rachel is a cinnamon roll and it fits with Chloe's Character development. Plus, I figured that
Rachel finding out the truth plays a big factor into her cheating on Chloe with Frank and Jefferson

Also, the dialogue is cute.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:34 pm

Ye gods, I could not stand Rachel.

I'll defend Chloe -- myopic, hypocritical, bitchy, pre-character-development Chloe -- till the end of my days, but it seems like they set out to make Rachel embody every one of main-game Chloe's character flaws with very little of her complexity, few redeeming characteristics, and an extra dose of manipulativeness (made all the worse by knowing about the secrets she kept from Chloe from the main game). And I found her reasons for her actions extraordinarily petty, especially in comparison to everything Chloe was going through and would be cosmically ordained to go through later.

Plus the whole forest fire thing. That was a thing that happened.

I mean, she didn't deserve to die horribly by a long shot, but there's a serious problem when I end up liking Victoria more than the character Chloe's whole character motivation centers around for most of the plot.

Also, since this conversation I'm jumping into has turned to it -- Truth, if only because my strong belief in not keeping intense personal revelations secret overrode my immense frustration.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:45 pm

Me After Playing LiS: Pricefield forever!
Me after playing BTS: *All in one breath* Chloe and Rachel run away to Portland, get married, and have kids and Max ends up in a relationship with Victoria and they eventually move to Portland and get married and have kids and they end up as neighbors and Max and Chloe bury the hatchet and everyone lives happily ever after!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby AboveGL » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:50 pm

I'd rather pretend that Dontnod/Deck9's stories are fanfictions and the happier endings we come up with are the real ones.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:39 am

So, that Bonus episode got me like

Just, fuck you fate, why you hate Chloe? I mean, Max leaving on the same day as William's Funeral? You dare mess with the adorable gay cinnamon roll that is Chloe Price? Fuck you!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Piter Lauchy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:47 am

I'm late to the party, but these games have made me feel feelings, so here are some random thoughts in no particular order:

Fuck you, Max. I thought you were boring in the original game, but after having played BtS including the bonus episode I now know that you're a spineless, cruel bitch. Seriously, fuck you, you pretentious, boring, hipster cunt. Gah!

My opinion on Chloe went the other way around: I felt kinda ambivalent about her in the original, but grew very fond of her during BtS. I hope her future holds only good things.

I sacrificed Arcadia in the original; my reasoning for this was twofold:
1. Fuck the world and everyone in it.
2. Some higher power wants Chloe to be alive, otherwise they wouldn't have given Max that ability in that crucial moment. Who am I to ignore the will of a higher power?

Rachel suffered from being too hyped up in the original, so even if we ignore her cheating on Chloe, she wouldn't have been able to live up to that. I gotta say, though, that theater scene probably was my favourite of the whole series.
I went with telling her the truth, although that wasn't about Rachel for me. I was hoping that her father would be kicked the fuck out of his position as DA and prosecuted for collaborating with a violent asshat to kidnap and severely harm an innocent woman.

I'll probably get the second one once it's released physically.

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby Ladki96 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:47 am

They are both pretty bad people :P Chloe is such a psycho already in the first one, the prequel did not do her character any favours.

Cutting out newspaper clippings to form 'M A X' in each diary section and addressing all her thoughts to a girl who is hundreds of miles from her? Hello, serial killer! She's so obsessed with her friend, it was creepy and really left a bad taste in my mouth. :?

What do we learn about her in BTS that we didn't already know in the first game? Future games are supposed to expand the world, reveal more sides to a character's personality, stuff like that. This game did not justify its existence at all for me. Chloe is a lesbian, hates the "establishment" or whatever, likes weed, is a bad girl, etc. Y-yeah. We know this already. And? XD

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Piter Lauchy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:21 pm

The prequel gave some context about why she is how she is. We knew already that her past is pretty tragic, of course, but it's the difference between "tell" and "show" that did it for me.
Chloe is furious at the world and everyone in it; the only person in her life that isn't terrible in some way is her mother and she chose a dude that might mean well, but has obviously no clue how to handle a teenage girl.

So yeah, BtS made me like her and helped me understand why she's still so immature in LiS. Under all that baggage is a good person.

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one