Should Nintendo Sponsor Smash Bros. Tournaments?

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Should Nintendo Sponsor Smash Bros. Tournaments?

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:20 pm

Alternate topic title: "Does Hungrybox Have a Point?"
Kotaku article on subject.

Quick-ish rundown for anyone not knowledgeable on this -

Super Smash Bros. is a fighting game series made by Nintendo. It has been recognized as a legitimate esport by many venues. The newest game in the series (Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS aka Smash 4) is even included in EVO which is an annual championship tournament for all fighting games. The previous game is not made for competition but the one prior to that, Smash Bros. Melee, has been on the tournament scene for over a decade yet never got any recognition from EVO and a few other mainstream fighting game tournaments.

Hungrybox is a Melee player and is recognized as the best Jigglypuff player in the world plus he really originated Jiggs' being a viable competitive character. He's obviously salty that Nintendo hasn't supported Smash tournaments the way other companies like Capcom have sponsored Street Fighter tournaments.

My take is that he's playing a game that turns 16 in a few months. Smash 4 is doing just fine without Nintendo's involvement/interference. He's tried to compete in Smash 4 but that's a whole different game and afaik he's never won a tournament and I doubt he's ever made top 8. It's the Melee attitude of "our game is superior". Melee has its fanbase but it'll stagnate the further away we get from the days of the Gamecube being a current gen console. Melee is broken, you can't compete unless you can wavedash, and most characters just have zero chance against your average Fox or Marth player. It's an old game, enjoy getting paid less than you feel you deserve to play a video game for your job, maybe consider branching out. Trela is a known Street Fighter pro who spent a lot of 2016 kicking ass in Smash 4.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Re: Should Nintendo Sponsor Smash Bros. Tournaments?

Postby Bromo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:44 pm

No, it's a party game. Sakurai never intended for Smash to be a competitive game.

"I spent a good 20 minutes searching for my glasses, when I realized I was seeing a bit too well.

Then I reached for my face and there were they." --Toy, 2016

The Pokémon master formerly known as Kevin Durant.
Bromo
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Token Homo

Re: Should Nintendo Sponsor Smash Bros. Tournaments?

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:29 pm

NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO

OMFG if they had :oops:

I hereby disavow any excitement, enjoyment, happiness, along with anything that falls under the general category of feeling good that I've ever had in my entire life as it pertains to competitive Smash.

For those who haven't heard. I'm not going to link any articles because there are simply too many.

*sigh*

Basically competitive Smash is full of sexual predatory behavior. It's out of control. Apparently it has been for a few years. Maybe longer, who knows at this point. I really hope law enforcement is paying attention to what is going on. Sexual assaults, messaging underage fans. If it's a bad thing you can think of then it's probably happened. There are very few denials, most of the accused have decided to fess up and those who haven't are obviously under a lot of pressure.

There is one case in which a player known as Mew2King was accused of sexual assault on twitter and he revealed that he had a botched circumcision as a baby and is unable to feel any pleasure down there. He said he never wanted that to be public so he didn't have to get made fun of forever but felt like he had to in order to respond to the claim.

I'd love to believe him. I will mark it down as a thing he said, note that the accusation was deleted, and wait until I die for the other shoe to drop. Because there's no way after reading and seeing all the stuff I've seen in the past week that I can trust words.

Burn it all down, I say. I joined Twitch to watch competitive Smash but left after a few months because of people being... well... toxic shitbags. Not to me personally but to each other and definitely whoever was streaming.

I went back to Twitch last year and the Mario community is so different. Everyone is so open and accepting. Nobody judges you. Well unless you're a toxic shitbag then your speaking privileges tend to get permanently revoked.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh