Paranormal Deathmatch is back

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Paranormal Deathmatch is back

Postby Malfeasinator » Thu May 04, 2017 5:40 am

Some people don't know what this is. Let me explain.

Paranormal Deathmatch was this multiplayer, free online game where you battled other characters and leveled up and stuff like that. The fights were automatic, you just chose to fight and then scrolled down to see the blow-by-blow and results of the match.

There were some crudely drawn graphics and cheap jokes based on some British and American TV pop culture at the time, but the game actually had some interesting mechanics.

Every so often, the game world would reset and begin anew. Clans were a big deal; making another clan mad could be detrimental to your character.

Your could actually LOSE experience points if you were beaten by a character with a lower level than yours. This meant that you had to make up the deficit to continue making progress. You wouldn't go down levels, it just made getting the next level really hard if it happened a lot.

This led to a practice of taking out prominent rivals through what was called "sniping." Players would buy a lot of powerups and then ambush someone with a higher level who was weak to some specific type of character. It was a dick move but kind of brilliant.

The game had a lot of charm. It was kind of a victim of its own popularity though, since it ran back in the days of mostly dialup, and only one person maintained the whole thing. He gave the game away for anyone who wanted to do something with it, and people have tried to bring it back to some of its former glory, but none have succeeded.

The game is now back on its original domain. Not a lot of people are playing it, but I still get attacked when I'm not online, so that's something.

I don't think it'll ever blow up again like it once did. I think something like it could work, if the humor was updated for modern times, and it was put on something like a free to play smartphone platform. Anyway, if you get bored, it's addictive, and it's easy to sign up at http://www.paranormaldeathmatch.co.uk/

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Re: Paranormal Deathmatch is back

Postby Malfeasinator » Mon May 15, 2017 9:18 am

It's been ten days.

Not that many people are playing. I'm already over level 1200.

I never got anywhere near that high back in the day. It used to be a slog to get around level 450. People in the 600s would already be evolved. Anybody around level 800 would have the second evolutions and ninja monkeys.

I looked at the leader boards and the top person's level is over 17k. They've been in the number one slot for a year and a half. They probably don't even play anymore.

The game definitely needs more people. I'm already ranked 131 in points and 89th in knockouts. They need people and they need a reset. That probably won't happen any time soon.

Anyway, maybe this can be a thread about obscure but fun games. Here's one for Archer fans:

http://figgis.agency/efkk_beta/

Make sure to read the instructions carefully. The animation is fun to watch, even if you don't play the game.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy