Nostalgic Soundtracks

What do you listen to?

Nostalgic Soundtracks

Postby gisambards » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:42 pm

A thread for those pieces of soundtrack, be they from films, TV or video games, that make you feel nostalgia for one's childhood.

Age of Empires II: Age of Kings' soundtrack would always play in order, and this was the first song to play. I remember watching my dad play Age of Kings on his computer when I was a really little kid, and either it or Crash Bandicoot was the first video game I ever played. I actually lost my first tooth watching him do the Saladin campaign, which is ironic because this thread is me procrastinating from an essay I'm supposed to be writing on the First Crusade (although Saladin was involved in the Third Crusade, as any fule kno). Unfortunately, I don't really play AoK that much - although I do have it in my Steam library - because coming to it as an adult it just doesn't feel as magical as it did back then. I think its very surreal, slightly hypnotic soundtrack probably contributed to that feeling.

I first played Mass Effect when I was 11, and from that age to about 15 I was completely obsessed with it. I'm almost certainly biased but as far as I'm concerned no video game series has come close to it in terms of effective world-building, and I still feel a genuine love for that universe. My ideal home would still almost certainly resemble the Presidium's architecture, and would probably have this music piped through it constantly.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Re: Nostalgic Soundtracks

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:19 am

There's a bug in this thread that says "this message contains too few characters when I tried to post a decent sized list.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:04 am

I love Pokemon Go's new night theme because it sounds like a track from Gold and Silver.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Krashlia » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:08 am

phpBB [video]

This video.

phpBB [video]

This ending

phpBB [video]

Now this song is... different. Long before I had a girlfriend from that church in brooklyn, Me and my family used to take us to that place every once in a while for various reasons. However, sometimes, it wasnt a happy occasion. Sometimes we went there to attend funerals.... This was the song they used.
In fact, among memebers of my own church, the associoation was strong enough that when it was suggested that we sing that, an Aunt objected to that suggestion by stating that it was "their funeral song." And then the matter was dropped.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Pretty much any John Williams score, but Jurassic Park really does it for me.

Also, I recently played through Halo on the Master Chief Collection. That was a blast from the past. I had played it originally back in high school with my best friend. We spent so many hours playing co-op.

We were best friends for about 20 years, until about 5 years ago when he suddenly stopped returning my calls. When I played it made me really sad and nostalgic. I called him after not having tried for about a year or two, but he didn't answer or return my call.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Piter Lauchy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:54 pm

While the Final Fantasy X soundtrack is mediocre compared to earlier FF's soundtracks, this song will always have a special place in my heart:

Prior to hearing it I wasn't aware that a song could be so sad/emotional without vocals. Goosebumps every time.

Then there's the entirety of FFVII's soundtrack. A few examples:

Pokemon Route 1 theme:

As for the vast amounts of shows I watched, the Digimon theme probably stands out the most. I'm not counting the Pokemon theme in this because I never watched the show that much and therefore my enjoyment of the song is probably not based on nostalgia.
Anyway, I was surprised when I heard the English Digimon theme because it is an entirely different (and utterly boring) song than the German one:

Seriously, distort the guitar a little more and turn it and the drums up and you've got an awesome Power Metal song.
That little guitar... uh... thing at 0:53 paired with Cactusmon's* airboxing was one of the most epic musical experiences in my young life.

*I have no idea what their names are anymore.

Various Disney songs should also be included here, but they are too many for me to remember them all off the top of my head and I don't want any song to feel left out. I'll make an exception for Hellfire from Hunchback of Notre Dame because damn:

I'm kinda cheating with this last one because while it's from a soundtrack, I don't have particularly nostalgic feelings towards it nor do the song and the movie have much of a connection in my head. It's Rabbit Run by Eminem, one of his absolute best works:

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:18 am

I used to play Ty the Tasmanian Tiger a lot as a kid.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Tuli » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:10 pm

For me, the biggest nostalgia definitely comes from old World of Warcraft music. It is so beautiful and evocative, sometimes I get a bit teary-eyed listening to it. I guess what makes WoW especially nostalgic is that unlike single player games which I could always fire up and play again if I wanted, the version of WoW I remember is forever gone. Just like my childhood. I've already posted some of my favorites in this thread. But I'll add some more, because why not!

Dun Morogh - the first zone I ever played in

Undercity

Westfall

Temple of the Moon

But anyway. Heroes of Might and Magic IV:

Neverending Story

When I first saw this movie I was so young I didn't remember anything except the fuzzy dragon and this song. It's magic.

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude