Fun for a lark, once in a blue moon

What do you listen to?

Fun for a lark, once in a blue moon

Postby cmsellers » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:02 am

So this comes from a discussion I had with avi.

Avi claims that he gets sick of songs he really likes and sort-of-likes at the same rate. I on the other hand have albums I can loop for days, and songs I get sick of after one or two times.

I therefore have a class of music I listen to which—frankly—I don't consider very good, but it's just so jaunty, so ebullient, that I enjoy listening to it once or twice in a blue moon.

Examples of this include Billy Joel's Innocent Man (the only Billy Joel album I can stand to listen to in its entirety), and the song "Uptown Girl" was what got the discussion started.

"Uptown Girl" of course was inspired by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons and particularly "Sherry." I've been known to listen to their Greatest Hits, but all of twice the first time I listened to them and not more than once thereafter.

I bought a Dion and the Belmonts album for the cost of shipping once because... I don't recall now, but they're best known for "Teenager in Love," which I don't like at all. Some of their other songs are OK, and "The Wanderer" is probably the one I can relisten to the most.

Even the greatest hits of Gene Pitney don't fall into this category; I have no desire to listen to most of them again. "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence" is a song I look up on YouTube occasionally, though.

When I first discovered cub, I listened to them several times on loop, however I was much younger then. Nowadays, once in a blue moon is more than enough.

Del Shannon almost joined the Traveling Wilburies (he died before he could record with them), and he's more downbeat than the other examples I'm including here. I also go from "I like this" to "I find this incredibly annoying" less quickly than I do with the other examples. However he's still in the category of "I can only listen to him occasionally, and then because of how cheerful his music sounds." There's actually something I really love about upbeat songs about awful things for some reason. "Hats Off to Larry" indeed.

So I guess I have three questions for y'all:
1. Do you you have songs you kind of like but can only listen to once in a blue moon?
2. If so, is it because they are insanely, absurdly, upbeat?
3. If yes, what are they?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Re: Fun for a lark, once in a blue moon

Postby DashaBlade » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:31 am

The first thing that pops to mind is Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

It's nothing against the song, really. It's just that not long after I bought Blood Sugar Sex Magick, the album it's on, I fell asleep with that song on repeat (I'd only meant to listen to it a couple of times, since I liked the song) and slept for a good 5-6 hours with it going right into my subconscious. After that incident, I had to skip the song on the CD for months because I was so sick of it, and I'd get twitchy when it was on the radio (and it was still heavily in rotation at the time). Until just now, when I looked up the YouTube video, I haven't heard the song at all in a year or two. It's all right now, but that's only because I can console myself that my computer is not in the room where I sleep, and thus I will not have to deal with that oddness happening again.

DashaBlade
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cat Lady