Soundtrack to the 2016 election

What do you listen to?

Soundtrack to the 2016 election

Postby cmsellers » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:07 pm

I've decided to collect all the songs that I found myself playing repeatedly as a result of the election, minus the state songs that I started another thread.

When I learned Bernie Sanders had recorded a folk album, I tried to find some songs from it. Most of them were awful, but it introduced me to a protest song I hadn't heard before and really like. Pete Seeger's "Banks of Marble."

The late Merle Haggard wrote a pro-Hillary song in 2008 which I couldn't find anywhere online this spring, and fittingly still can't find.

Moving on to the general, I'll start with Richard Thompson's "Fergus Laing," which he wrote about a property developer who very definitely isn't Donald Trump, at least not if America's litigation-happy president-elect is asking.

I was initially so sure I would be playing the TMBG song "Your Racist Friend" on election night as I watched the Republicans lose the Senate and tear themselves to pieces.

Jay and the Americans' "Only in America" became morbidly fascinating as I became increasingly convinced of the plausibility of a Trump win.

This is the TMBG song I ended up playing over and over on election night instead.

I felt a bit of Schadenfreude, still do, at the fact that I was correct at how terrible a candidate Clinton was, something Democrats seemed unable to admit.

Billy Joe's "Georgia on Fast Train" I think explains how a lot of Trump supporters feel.

"Help Save the Youth of America" is a song Billy Bragg wrote about the apathy of Gen X. For my generation I think it should be written as "Help the Youth Save America."

How about ya'll? Any songs that seemed particularly relevant this cycle?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Re: Soundtrack to the 2016 election

Postby IamNotCreepy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:10 pm

"Zen and the Art of Xenophobia" by Five Iron Frenzy:

This was written in 2013, but I'd say it's even more pertinent now. Here is an explanation of the lyrics by the vocalist:

Spoiler: show
This is what you can do when you don’t have a record label. Also, this is what living in the gun-crazy center of the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, does to you in an election year. I really believe that the Biblical model is to let Christianity influence our politics, not to be the politics. There are few things more embarrassing for me, than the endless parade of jack-wads currently using the name of Jesus Christ for political gain in this country. Historically, the name of Christ has been used since the first century to justify countless atrocities. You would think that in a country that has barely just emerged from slavery and institutionalized racism- we would approach things with a bit more caution. We still don’t get it. Stop using the name of Jesus in your politics. Our political machine is driven by fear and greed, and the promise of those two things. Neither one of them being an attribute espoused by anyone in the New Testament. Especially Jesus. Our nation is split in two, with one side parading xenophobic madness as a means of political gain. This is not how Christ taught us to behave.

PS- Christians: If you think that things like taking care of the Earth, treating women and people with different color skin than yours as equals, protecting children from being mowed down with semi-automatic rifles, feeding and clothing the poor, taking care of widows, the sick, and the elderly- are political stances, you are being used. You have two jobs as a Christian, to love God, and to love others. If your politics are getting in the way of that, if your fear is keeping others from doing that- then please rethink your life.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:35 pm

Just think of Trump as the girl in the song.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:09 pm

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Piter Lauchy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:28 pm

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby Malfeasinator » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:41 pm

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby Krashlia » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:36 pm

When it ended.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:49 pm

Actually, I have no idea why no one thought of this one before. It should've been an obvious choice.

phpBB [video]

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:56 pm

cmsellers wrote:I've decided to collect all the songs that I found myself playing repeatedly as a result of the election, minus the state songs that I started another thread.

When I learned Bernie Sanders had recorded a folk album, I tried to find some songs from it. Most of them were awful...

Sanders Supporter: (attempts to listen to one of the songs of their candidates, in a bit of fanboyism)... (Leaves with knives jammed in ears, Cries harsh tears at the idea of him in America Idol)

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:59 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Krashlia » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:39 pm

ghijkmnop wrote:Am I the only one who gets a black box whenever someone uses the Video tag?

Probably.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep