Songs that give you goosebumps

What do you listen to?

Re: Songs that give you goosebumps

Postby Matthew Notch » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:52 am

Oh my God, after all the talks Glassjaw and OhJohnNo and I have had, how could I have forgotten Deftones?

I remember just being completely floored when I first heard this song. I thought, "Wait, is he actually screaming THAT much?" See, metal guys, especially the Death and Doom varieties, "know" how to scream. You can drop your voice out in the same way you would if you were singing falsetto, and in this way you can protect your vocal cords and also attain a lot more grit in your screaming voice. But here's Chino Moreno, and for all practical purposes he is just screaming his mind out over a riff that shouldn't nearly be as inspirational as it is. When Stephen Carpenter and the late Chi Cheng drop into the breakdown, though, that's when it becomes apparent that nobody could do it quite like the Deftones.

On the other hand, here's a song that still gives me chills, even though I pretty much hate everything else this band has ever put out:

I imagine it's sometimes a challenge for drummers to flex their muscles artistically. Think about it: Pianos, you have 88 keys and a wide range of dynamics to express yourself with. Guitars, you have six strings with 15 good frets a-piece and often many more if you have a good guitar or a decent amount of skill with it. Once you start getting into synthesizers and sequencers, you have a limitless musical arsenal to evoke the feelings you want to evoke.

But drummers have, all superfluous percussion and Neil Peart sized kits aside, about five good drums and only so much dynamic range to make music with. Very rarely will you hear a drum solo that isn't entirely about drum wankery. I feel like Brian Chase does admirably here, using his drums to really express the emotion in this track in a way that a lesser drummer couldn't, and in a way that the already impressive skills of Nick Zinner on guitar and Karen Orzlelek on vocals couldn't do on their own. The production by Dave Sitek, by the way, is what accounts for that gigantic guitar sound, the same one that Max Martin presumably ripped off in the Kelly Clarkson hit "Since U Been Gone". All in all, a massive song that gets all kinds of respect from me, even if I don't usually enjoy grimy, trashy art-punk bands like other hipsters like me should.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby 52xMax » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:52 am

Vincent by Don McLean

Rainbow connection (yes, from the Muppets movie) in this version by Willie Nelson

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Matthew Notch » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:32 am

I'm not even going to try to explain why this version of this song by this guitarist gives me goosebumps. I simply ask you listen and decide for yourself if they are warranted.

EDIT: Oh, the link is now broken, and I can't remember what I put here in the first place. Oh well, Kaki King it is then.

Last edited by Matthew Notch on Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby OhJohnNo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:52 am

I don't link my favourite band enough on this forum. Time to fix this.

This is the loneliest song ever recorded.

Don't underrate, appreciate
OhJohnNo
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Lord of the game

Postby Suckerfish » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:32 pm

I have three, actually. Two are rather famous covers, and the other one came at a time in my life where it reflected my feelings exactly.

Warning: The text above is probably misspelled, grammatically incorrect, and morally bankrupt. Reader discretion is advised. This is not a test. By reading this signature you waive your right to participate in a class action lawsuit.
Suckerfish
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: That Other Guy

Postby Matthew Notch » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:50 pm

Fink! I remember when you posted them on PWoT, and then before you came over here I was showing some people on the iRC because I really enjoyed this band. Also, this song was my favorite one. I think I'd said that I could imagine driving through a town I'd never seen before at 5 AM with this song on the radio. It just has that feeling, that "miles behind me, miles to go" feeling to it.

Man, I'm glad you're here.

Arcade Fire. These guys were amazing live. When they switch keys in this song, it just fills you with that feeling that something momentous has suddenly occurred. Not to mention they play a ton of fifth chords on the pipe organ, the goosebumpiest instrument of all time.

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DangerChocomog » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:02 pm

I....have nothing to say.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.
DangerChocomog
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Techno Hippie

Postby CleverDick » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:37 am

Don't listen to this song when you're trying to be productive.
Don't even try.

Ashtherion wrote:We're not worse at drinking, we're just better at being intoxicated, so we don't have to spend so much on beer.
Suck our tiny economical dicks, white people.
CleverDick
Dr. Jan Itor
Dr. Jan Itor

Show rep
Title: Dozenare

Postby AboveGL » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:48 am

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby jollybootsofdoom » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:33 am

I know the thread is a little old, but I felt this song needed included. Every time the line "I just need you to wake up" starts, shivers.

jollybootsofdoom
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby WaitYAmIHere » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:20 am

One of my all time favorites:

Also, because I am a complete and total nerd, I get chills whenever I hear this:

Wait... How did I get back here?
WaitYAmIHere
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: An imagination of a figment

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:08 pm

This song speaks to me in ways I wish it didn't.

I've had it on repeat the past half hour. "Darling you give, but you cannot take love."

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Twistappel » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:31 am

Por Una Cabeza is one of my favourite pieces of music, and this is an especially beautiful rendition of it:

I wouldn't say that this one exactly gives me goosebumps, but it is one of the few songs that can make me cry:

For those not familiar with the song, it relates the experiences of an Australian Vietnam War veteran. The lyrics are drawn from the anecdotes of a friend of the author, who fought in Vietnam.

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:30 pm

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby blehblah » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:54 pm

There is so much great listening in this thread... it'll take while to get through it all.

First for me - Led Zep live when they exit the middle of Dazed and Confused on The Song Remains the Same. It's so tight, so fast, so... wonderful. I used to put the CD on and play along on guitar (as best as I could) and without fail, that riff always gave me goosebumps. Also on Song Remains the Same, Whole Lotta Love - shake one time for Elvis... so solid.

Something newer is this...

The singer/guitarist is a Canadian lad who used to head-up a fantastic band called Big Sugar. He has a ton of talent. On guitar, he is deceptive - he makes very complicated stuff look like strumming. Also, he's actually a bassist.

The Big Sugar stuff is jazz/blues/rock, which is a bit different from this recording.

I was lucky enough to catch Big Sugar live a few times in Canada. My ears have somewhat recovered since, but if I stare at you with a blank look that says "Wut?", it's that guy's fault.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

PreviousNext