More uncomfortable than intended

What do you listen to?

Re: More uncomfortable than intended

Postby ghijkmnop » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:16 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby SilverMaple » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:46 am

I love BNL, and I love this song, but I was listening to it while studying and for some reason it only now registered that it's about a guy straight up breaking into his ex's apartment while she isn't home and being frustrated that she's changed it so much since he lived there. The fact that he talks about a hole he punched in the door and rips the phone off of the wall before he leaves kinda implies that it wasn't the healthiest relationship either.

*Thumbs incoming for the rest of the thread when I have time to go through it. Sorry.

Bert wrote:The best part of my job is fistfighting an 8 year old every day.

//Friend come and go, like the wave in the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on our face.\\
SilverMaple
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Nerd of a Feather

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:50 pm

I can't help but think that this song could be about fucking dead people. Talk about uncomfortable.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:14 pm

SilverMaple wrote:I love BNL,

How Canadian of you. I only know one Barenaked Ladies song, and it's the one about the American Dream.

And yet that one still makes me a bit uncomfortable, because he talks about buying Art Garfunkel for his love. Is this a live Garfunkel he's enslaved, or a dead one he's had taxidermied? (And which of those is more disturbing? I'm having a hard time deciding, myself.)

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby reallifegirl » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:54 pm

'Kiss With a Fist' by Florence + The Machine occasionally pops up on my Pandora station. And look, Florence Welch can say over and over again "It's not about domestic violence because they're both destructive" but that doesn't actually make it not about domestic violence (to a really peppy tune, no less).

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby ghijkmnop » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:18 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:29 pm

cmsellers wrote:I'm amazed I forgot this one. It's one of the most cringe-inducing songs ever. But then who today listens to the Mills Brothers? I only know it because I ripped all my grandfather's CDs and listened to them all when I was a teenager.

Mills Brothers - "Paper Doll"

I like their songs (my grandparents had them on cassette tape, and an uncle burned a few CDs of all the music they had some years ago), but I agree that that one's... not their best.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Aquila89 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:11 pm

Back in the 1910s, the famous painter Oskar Kokoschka had an affair with Alma Mahler. After she left him, he commissioned a dollmaker to make a life-sized doll replica of Alma, sending detailed instructions. But the result was fairly creepy:

Kokoschka unsurprisingly found it to be an inadequate replacement for Alma, and eventually destroyed it during a party.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby 52xMax » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:11 pm

SilverMaple wrote:I love BNL, and I love this song, but I was listening to it while studying and for some reason it only now registered that it's about a guy straight up breaking into his ex's apartment while she isn't home and being frustrated that she's changed it so much since he lived there. The fact that he talks about a hole he punched in the door and rips the phone off of the wall before he leaves kinda implies that it wasn't the healthiest relationship either.

*Thumbs incoming for the rest of the thread when I have time to go through it. Sorry.

This is apparently a common misunderstanding, but both Page and Robertson have addressed it several times, including during live performances. In the song, the guy who broke into the apartment is still with the same woman and have moved together to a better place. He's just mad that the new tenants changed things... and also that they kept the dish rack and the mouse trap. Nostalgia can be weird that way.

I love BNL too, and the only songs of them which might be uncomfortable are Pinch Me and Brian Wilson, because they hit too close to home.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Previous