Singers/Bands that you like listening to.

What do you listen to?

Singers/Bands that you like listening to.

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:00 am

Well this thread is fairly self explanatory, simply name the singers or bands that you like listening to (and perhaps even why you like them or a personal favorite song).

For example, with me it was a semi large list made up of singers such as Sam Cooke, Marty Robbins, Andy Williams, Ray Charles, Muddy Waters, Frank Sinatra, Johnny Rivers, Johnny Cash, Dean Martin, Connie Francis, Chuck Berry, Bill Haley, Ben E. King, The Supremes (band), Trio Los Panchos (band) and The Animals (band) [I could have missed some].

It would take hours writing why I liked each of these blokes and also include some example songs. Which sadly I cannot do it for now. The reason why is because I'm currently busy trying to find out which dog of mine has been chewing up all my chess pieces (they are wooden and shaped a bit like those tribal statues and not easily replaceable [Probably would have to carve them myself which is time consuming]).

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: Singers/Bands that you like listening to.

Postby skrotkanon » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:46 pm

I'm currently into Leonard Cohen, his voice is goddamn amazing on his later albums.

skrotkanon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Sleepyhead

Postby DanteHoratio » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:51 pm

Breaking Benjamin, Alter Bridge, Killswitch Engage, Evanescence, Paramore(Older Paramore anyway, not a fan of there newer stuff), Disturbed, Crossfade, Three Days Grace, Three Doors Door, Nickelback, Flyleaf, Lacuna Coil, In This Moment, and Skillet.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Let's get dangerous

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:07 pm

Yeah I like Three Doors Door and Older Paramore too. Younger Paramore, also known as Newer Paramore, sucks compared to Older Paramore.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DanteHoratio » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:13 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:Yeah I like Three Doors Door and Older Paramore too. Younger Paramore, also known as Newer Paramore, sucks compared to Older Paramore.

Yeah, Newer Paramore sounds too poppy for my taste.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Let's get dangerous

Postby OhJohnNo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:50 pm

Manic Street Preachers, Björk, Kanye West, Boris, The Rolling Stones, Future, Zaytoven, Dominick Fernow, Otomo Yoshihide, Deftones, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Wu-Tang Clan, Young Thug, Sparklehorse, Townes Van Zandt, UGK, Linkin Park, Yes, Juicy J, Watkin Tudor Jones

Don't underrate, appreciate
OhJohnNo
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Lord of the game

Postby AboveGL » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:50 pm

I like Iggy Pop, Nick Cave and David Bowie's distinctive voices.

Bellowhead are so much fun to listen to and is one of my favourite bands.

Lindsey Stirling is neither a band nor a singer but her songs are epic.

More will come to mind later.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby FieldMarshalFry » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:04 pm

Grinderman
Alabama 3

Supreme Commander of the Imperial Royal Cracked Army (also The Comments Section Militia), currently commanding the retake of the Troll Mines of 4chan in World Internet War 1, direct superior to Major. General Obvious, General Ignorance and General Knowledge.
FieldMarshalFry
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Field Marshal of TCS

Postby Mr.FishFace » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:22 am

Mainly I like listening to Alt. Rock along the lines of Grunge and Punk. I also like classic rock from 60's on.

My favorite bands include but aren't limited to: Queens Of The Stone Age, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, and Soundgarden.

I was thinking of what my username and I thought, "Why not Zoidberg?"
Mr.FishFace
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Just Some Commenter

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:52 pm

Pat Boone- For A Penny

I always liked Pat Boone, especially that Speedy Gonzalez song of his.

Last edited by JamishT on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: [youtube=hidden] tag added.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby JamishT » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:34 am

I'll list as they come to mind. Uh, here we go: P.O.D., Demon Hunter, P!nk, Weird Al, Selena Gomez, Taylor Swift (DUH), Anberlin, Emery, Plumb, Keith Urban, Kenny Chesney, Carrie Underwood, Britney Spears, Josh Turner, Purity Ring, (now going to my Spotify playlists) BABYMETAL, Cher Lloyd, Demi Lovato, Lorde, Ellie Goulding, Falling Up, Flyleaf, Kesha, Project 86, Rachel Platten, Superchick, Lana Del Ray, Broods, Lindsey Stirling, Alan Jackson, George Strait, Tim McGraw, The Band Perry, Blake Shelton, Brad Paisley, Brooks & Dunn, Dierks Bentley, Kacey Musgraves, Lady Antebellum, Miranda Lambert, and and uh...yep, that's about it (not even close, but those are the main players).

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:30 am

Off the top of my head, these are the artists whose albums I've had on on repeat for long periods of time and think I could still stand to listen to.

First, the artists I discovered because of Falcon Ridge Folk Festival or in one case the Rhythm and Roots festival:
Parsonfield, Susan Werner, Ronnie Cox, Vance Gilbert, Tracy Grammer, John Gorka, Chuck Mead.

Now music that I listened to from childhood through college, roughly in order of discovery:
The Kingston Trio, Harry Belafonte, Jonathan Edwards, The Chieftains, Johnny Cash, Buddy Holly, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Paul Simon, Simon and Garfunkel, They Might Be Giants, Warren Zevon, Billy Bragg, Neil Diamond, The Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Dire Straits, Don McLean, Marty Robbins, Bruce Springsteen, Dennis Day, The Byrds, Kathy Mattea, Jackson Browne, James Taylor, Bob Seger, Merle Haggard, The Highwaymen, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Carole King.

Then there are genre artists I've known about for awhile (mostly since some point in college), and listen to when I want something from their genre:
Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, Flatt and Scruggs, Bill Monroe, Don Edwards, Sons of the San Joaquim, Michael Martin Murphy, Asleep at the Wheel, Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys, Roger McGuinn (for his CD of sea shanties), Leonard Cohen (who is really a genre of one).

Finally, the artists I've started listening to since college, which I mostly associate with foreign countries and/or Texas:
Waylon Jennings, Ry Cooder, Johnny Rivers, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, Leo Kottke, Don Williams, Lefty Frizzell, Lucinda Williams, Mary Chapin Carpenter, The Irish Rovers, Joni Mitchell, Tom Petty, The Traveling Wilburys, Linda Ronstadt, Willie Nelson, Tom Jones, Steeleye Span, Richard Thompson.

As should be clear, I grew up on folk music, picked up interests in other folk-like genres (particularly real country) and classic rock in college, and since college it's been more of the same, though the peak of my classic-rock listening was in college, and I'm back to more folk-y stuff since then.

Edit: Also, JamishT: your list looks like the list I'd write to answer the question "Who ruined country music?" Well, except Lindsey Sterling. I think we can all agree she's pretty awesome.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby JamishT » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:55 am

cmsellers wrote:Edit: Also, JamishT: your list looks like the list I'd write to answer the question "Who ruined country music?" Well, except Lindsey Sterling. I think we can all agree she's pretty awesome.

I knew my list would disappoint at least one person so much they couldn't help but say something!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby aBagofYoughurt » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:28 pm

Recently, I've been listening to a lot of Hayes Carll. Alternative Country, Country, Americana, and Folk are apparently what I listen to the most, where I like:
The aforementioned Hayes Carll, Otis Gibbs, James Mcmurtry, Guy Clarke, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash (duh), Steve Earle, Kris Kristoffersen, Jerry Reed (Smokey and the Bandit has the greatest theme song ever, dammit), Townes Van Zandt, Robert Earl Keen, John Moreland, Bob Dylan, Kathleen Edwards, Lee Clayton, and Adam Caroll. This type of music apparently goes in the blood, as most of my favorites come from family members' recommendations.

Apart from that, with no particular categorization, I like Jokke & Valentinerne, Matti Røssland (local rock hero of sorts), Tom Petty, The Doors, Buddy Guy, The Waterboys, Warren Zevon, Flogging Molly, NOFX, Sage Francis, NWA (A rural middle class Norwegian can totally relate to Fuck Tha Police), Tom Waits, Neil Young, Warp Riders, Blind Guardian, Earth, Alestorm, The Real McKenzies, Dire Straits, The Clash, Bruce Springsteen, Social Distortion, Buddy Holly, R.E.M., Gasolin, De Lillos, Nazareth, Creedence, Lars Winnarback, John Murry, ZZ Top, The Pogues, Rolling Stones.

Yay for lists of names block of text things.

Hello
aBagofYoughurt
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Lurker Supreme

Postby Marcuse » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:36 pm

In no particular order, and because I like nattering about music. Here's a selection of stuff I've been listening to recently:

Blut Aus Nord: I have a lot of their albums, and sometimes I'm not sure why when they often sound rather similar. But then I realised that their sound might be similar across their albums but no other band sounds remotely like them. I have recently started heavily listening to Memoria Vetusta II, because it's one of the most open of their records, and the most guitar based. It really soars in places and I find it a consistently enjoyable listen.

Corrections House: I added this to my list of albums of 2015 at #1, and it's testament to the quality of the record that I'm still pretty regularly listening to it now. The track Superglued Tooth is particularly one that strikes me, possibly because it could be taken as the soundtrack to a Fallout game (if they ditched the faux 40s thing). The vocal delivery on both their albums is just staggering, and combined with interesting musical arrangements, it just blows me away every time.

Mortiis: The former bassist for Emperor, then dungeon synth kvltist, turned electronica master, Mortiis has always been an interesting prospect musically. For all the controversy about his damn mask, he's been a consistently engaging musician for me, and his new album The Great Deceiver is a new-ish release I'm still getting my teeth into. It's an angry record, but that kind of fits me right now. Demons are back (video is a bit NSFW) is a fun track that does exactly what it says on the tin and manages to achieve that uplifting anger for me that a lot of more dramatic artists fail at.

Nile: While technical death metal isn't always my thing, I've always had a thing for the more Lovecraftian pieces Nile produce. The album Those Whom the Gods Detest has a higher than normal amount of them, and it's always entertaining to hear top notch playing combined with some narrative other than just "blood gore death". The subterranean nature of really heavy DM actually plays into the dread of the topic, because as any Lustmord fan knows, subsonic sounds generate feelings of dread and fear anyway. So here's a nonsense appeal to Dagon that manages to be genuinely unsettling.

Negura Bunget: Or more specifically the track Norilor from the album Om. I had this as my ringtone for weekends, and my son decided it was one of his favourite songs. So I listen to it a lot, I enjoy it because it sounds like the march of Sauron's armies or something.

If that sounds like a really restricted list of music I'm habitually listening to, then you'd be right. I have enough music now that I just go where my preferences take me, and if something suddenly appeals I'll switch to that or add it to my unofficial entirely intuitive playlist.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Next