Singers/Bands that you like listening to.

What do you listen to?

Re: Singers/Bands that you like listening to.

Postby gregfrankenstein » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:33 am

DanteHoratio wrote:
NathanLoiselle wrote:Yeah I like Three Doors Door and Older Paramore too. Younger Paramore, also known as Newer Paramore, sucks compared to Older Paramore.

Yeah, Newer Paramore sounds too poppy for my taste.

I might be alone on this, but I uh, I only like new Paramore. Still Into You is my jam.

My musical taste seems to come in four categories: the pop, the rock, the weird, and all three. All three is preferred. Absurdly catchy melodies are usually required, even with the weird. Guilt does not exist.

The pop:
Miley Cyrus
That one Taylor Swift album
Tegan and Sara
Carly Rae Jepson
Ariana Grande

The rock:
Weezer
Primus
The first White Stripes album
Queens of the Stone Age
System of a Down/Scars on Broadway/whatever the fuck Serj is doing now
Bikini Kill
Minutemen

The weird:
The Residents
Sparks
Any band in the Elephant 6 collective
Any band with Mike Patton in it
Perfect Pussy

All three:
They Might Be Giants
Ween
Beck
Oingo Boingo
The Unicorns

Then again, I'm not great with genres. I just know which music makes me feel energetic, which makes me feel like a beautiful butterfly, and which makes me see funny colours.

gregfrankenstein
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Heightener of Fives

Postby Revolving Royal » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:23 am

gregfrankenstein wrote:I just know which music makes me feel energetic, which makes me feel like a beautiful butterfly, and which makes me see funny colours.

That'll be drugs kicking in.

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out" -Ray Bradbury

I am not “full of hate” as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine. ~Internet Wiseman
Revolving Royal
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lurker

Postby cmsellers » Mon May 29, 2017 4:21 am

So I've posted here before, but I've been thinking about which artists I really like listening to, over and over again. In roughly the order of how relistenable I find them. These are the artists that either I still listen to a lot now, or that I listened to a lot in Korea and Turkey and would listen to often now if I'd brought their music with me to Texas.

Warren Zevon
Waylon Jennings
Don Williams
Parsonfield
Susan Werner
Irish Rovers
Harry Chapin
Steeleye Span
Credence Clearwater Revival
The Highwaymen
The Byrds (Also Roger McGuin alone)
The Pogues
Billy Bragg
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Leonard Cohen
Lefty Frizzell
Paul Simon (with or without Garfunkel)
Jonathan Edwards
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Cat Stevens
Fats Domino
Richard Thompson
Lucinda Williams
Marty Robbins
Kathy Mattea
John Gorka
Jethro Tull
Joan Baez
The Moody Blues
Linda Ronstadt
Don McLean
Merle Haggard
The Coasters
The Traveling Wilburies
Gary Puckett and the Union Gap
Tracy Grammer (with or without the late Dave Carter)
Carole King
Neil Diamond

There's plenty of other artists, I like listening to well enough, but all of these are ones I've listened to on repeat, have strong moments associated with them, and would still listen to whole albums of theirs on repeat today. By contrast, here are some artists who didn't quite make the list and why.

• I used to listen to TMBG on repeat alot and have a strong emotional connection to their music, but can't see myself listening to a whole album of theirs today.
  • Bruce Springsteen has some songs I really, really like, and I've listened to him on repeat. I'd still listen to today, yet somehow I've never had a strong emotional connection to his music. I guess songs about blue collar life in suburban Jersey just don't speak to me in that way.
  • Janis Ian and Del Shannon I have strong emotional memories, and I'd still listen to them today, in fact I still listen to "At Seventeen" and "Runaway" on repeat sometimes, but I can't see myself listening to their albums on repeat.
  • Steve Winwood and Don Edwards are borderline, and almost made the list, but I'm not sure how emotionally invested I am in Don Edwards, while I'm not sure whether I'd still listen to Steve Winwood on repeat today.
  • REM and cub I listened to on repeat and had a strong emotional connection to their music, yet not only can I not really listen to them today, but I don't feel that connection when I listen to songs I used to feel it for.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Previous