So Is Clapton A Racist?

What do you listen to?

So Is Clapton A Racist?

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:30 am

We all should be aware of the time Eric Clapton drunkenly made racist comments in the 70s. Now, I have the greatest of respect for Clapton as a guitarist (being a musician myself), but from the way it looks in later interviews, he's a bit scared of the massive immigration in Britain because of "losing British culture". Is this a good thing, or not?

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Re: So Is Clapton A Racist?

Postby gregfrankenstein » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:45 am

AdricDePsycho wrote:We all should be aware of the time Eric Clapton drunkenly made racist comments in the 70s.

The only possible thing that could be worse is if a beloved rock band wrote a song in the 1970s about sexually assaulting slaves.

AdricDePsycho wrote:Now, I have the greatest of respect for Clapton as a guitarist (being a musician myself), but from the way it looks in later interviews, he's a bit scared of the massive immigration in Britain because of "losing British culture". Is this a good thing, or not?

I'm going to tread carefully here because I don't hail from that continent, but isn't that how uh, all of Europe is right now? And my country hasn't fared any better. Our prime minister is spending darn never every public appearance waging war on face coverings during citizenship ceremonies, because apparently wearing a thin piece of cloth is as un-Canadian as punching a beaver covered in syrup.

So I guess the answer is "probably". He's probably kind of racist. But I feel like he's a mosquito bite compared to the itchy, disgusting flesh wound that exists elsewhere. I feel the same way I do about that bearded guy from that wacky show about duck calls. He's a stodgy old man and I really can't be surprised by his anachronistic political views, otherwise I'd never get any sleep. Except the duck guy didn't write Layla, so Clapton has that going.

gregfrankenstein
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Heightener of Fives

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:05 am

I recall somewhere that Clapton stated he wanted some tighter control on immigration so that Britain would stop acquiring illegal aliens for cheap labor and shoving them into ghettos. That DOES make a valid point.

Also, he's definitely not the ONLY rock star to make racist comments. Elvis Costello did the same thing (albeit intoxicated), and David Bowie once advocated Nazism (albeit on Cocaine). I recall also that Clapton was drunk (he had trouble with alcohol all throughout the 70s) when he made those statements, and it seems paradoxical that he'd still be friendly with BB King and Buddy Guy.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:57 am

I mean, maybe? I'm not a fan of Clapton, so I don't follow what he says, and I don't know British politics. Are his views on immigration based on racism? I have no clue, and I don't feel inclined to look into it. Maybe it's just because some of the artists I listen to are, you know, actual murderers, massively racist, a neo-nazi (seriously, not even exaggerating, though he no longer describes himself as a Nazi), that I just don't really care what views musicians hold in their personal lives. What they are as a person is distinct from what they are as a musician, and I really only care about the later. (For the record, I think Vikernes is a piece of shit as a person).

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby DamianaRaven » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:03 pm

AdricDePsycho wrote:I recall somewhere that Clapton stated he wanted some tighter control on immigration so that Britain would stop acquiring illegal aliens for cheap labor and shoving them into ghettos. That DOES make a valid point.

I'm glad you think so. Not everyone who hates illegal immigration has an agenda of xenophobic racism.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:38 pm

I find it interesting how much racism we just sort of casually throw around in the IRC and here on the forum, as a joke. It's because racism is sort of hilarious now; it's gone from being an extreme, dangerous viewpoint to being backwards and stigmatized in the more enlightened nations. So I mean, if somebody says something racist under the influence of alcohol, that could mean they are always holding back on their racist views and now their inhibitions are gone, or it could mean they are more prone to making really crappy jokes and now their inhibitions are gone. Hard to say.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:39 pm

After reading your post, Damiana, I feel you slight over exaggerate the problems of illegal immigration (namely saying its turning our country into their country). It is a problem, but I'd rather take a more moderate stance and say we need some tighter control over who comes over.

Oh, and its kinda the US's fault Mexico is corrupt (Like any other dictatorship, we showed a good deal of support for the PRI, the political party in charge since the 1960s.)

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:08 pm

AdricDePsycho wrote:After reading your post, Damiana, I feel you slight over exaggerate the problems of illegal immigration (namely saying its turning our country into their country).

That was meant to insinuate that our country would turn into their country if we just opened the border and let everyone come and go with a Zen little "one world" smile for all God's creatures. There are actually a frightening number of people who believe that borders are... fascist or something.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby cmsellers » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:23 pm

AdricDePsycho wrote:After reading your post, Damiana, I feel you slight over exaggerate the problems of illegal immigration (namely saying its turning our country into their country). It is a problem, but I'd rather take a more moderate stance and say we need some tighter control over who comes over.

Oh, and its kinda the US's fault Mexico is corrupt (Like any other dictatorship, we showed a good deal of support for the PRI, the political party in charge since the 1960s.)

Most of the illegal immigrants coming into the United States are from Central America (though we helped destablize their countries too). For several years, Mexico has been a net importer of people. There's an article I read about it (I think on FiveThirtyEight, I may try to find it later), basically people don't immigrate illegally as much from very poor countries (they don't have the means to leave) or upper-middle income countries (economic prospects are much brighter). It's lower-middle income countries which tend to see large numbers of people leaving for developed countries.

Now, since many Mexicans talk about Central American illegals in their country more or less the same way people in the Southwest talk about "Mexicans" in ours, the solution for securing the border is obvious: just build a wall along the Mexican-Guatemalan border, and get our southern neighbors to police it. That way we can focus our attention where it really matters: our maritime border with the Bahamas.

David Wong wrote:7. "But this is the last non-terrible forum on the internet! The rest are full of trolls and Nazis!"

That's just not true at all.
cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:48 pm

Huh...did not know that, cmsellers. Now, I want to go ahead and say that my father is Mexican (born in the state of Michoacan), and I asked him his thoughts. We basically agreed the immigration system needs reforms. But another problem arises: my father told me about this time he was at the border, and their was a truck full of illegal immigrants. Then, one of the border police got a call from the Congressman these people worked for, and they were sent back, no deportation. There's some serious need for reform.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep