Roots of Rhythm

What do you listen to?

Roots of Rhythm

Postby cmsellers » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:31 am

I've noticed that I've been repressing a fair amount of unreasonable rage because a certain hobo concluded that since the people who enjoy both genres smell bad, smoke weed, have lots of sex at festivals, and dress stupidly, folk music and indie music must similar genres. I've ranted about it here and now here, and now here. Since JamesT is a really nice guy apart from his terrible judgment regarding music, I've decided I should probably do something constructive before I say something I regret and/or give myself an aneurysm.

So I've decided to take a page from the playbook of rich white snobs who won't want to admit that they're into country music, and use "roots music" as a code word for a certain sub-section of roots music, while pretending that it's a totally different genre than that sub-section.

Much as there's already threads for country and Western and blues, and I have started threads for pretty much every single other petty subgenre of roots music except bluegrass (something I'll have to get right on), let's have a thread for the core of folk roots music as understood by hippies in the 60s: Anglo-American traditional music and its electric derivatives.

Since I think that still encompasses at least seven subgenres, and pre-electric English traditional music is definitely the weakest of them (thank you Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span for discovering what electricity can do for the Child Ballads), I'm going to skip the non-electric English folk song.

Instead, enjoy some:

(Lowlands) Scottish traditional music: John McDermott - "Bonnie Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond"

American traditional music: The Carter Family - "Wildwood Flower"

Singer-songwriter "folk music": Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer - "Gentle Arms of Eden"

Folk Rock: Richard Thompson - "Jerusalem on the Jukebox"

Electric Folk: Steeleye Span - "Sails of Silver"

Roots Rock: Credence Clearwater Revival - "Looking Out My Back Door"

Then, after you've enjoyed these songs, please post some similar songs, while keeping in mind that anybody who posts any song which appears on The Essential Bob Dylan will be trout-slapped for their lack of imagination.

David Wong wrote:7. "But this is the last non-terrible forum on the internet! The rest are full of trolls and Nazis!"

That's just not true at all.
cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Re: Roots of Rhythm

Postby JamesT » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:07 am

Just to explain in case there's any confusion: at the time that thread was created there wasn't enough of an active population on the forum interested in either folk or indie to sustain a separate thread on either so I combined the two just to have a something that wouldn't die in a week.

The TCS staff does not support intermixing of genres and voted no on all musical desegregation laws. I'll be damned if my rockabilly learns alongside some bastard power metal or drinks from the same fountain as one of those dirty prog rocks.

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King