Strangest ways you got introduced to a song

What do you listen to?

Strangest ways you got introduced to a song

Postby Arkyle » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:50 am

Story time. I started playing World of Warcraft in 2005 when you had to buy illegal US copies because the EU servers weren't a thing yet and Blizzard had yet to discover South Africa existed. For expediencies sake, I'll say that I found a guild of like minded South Africans and stayed put. Along the way, we picked up this wonderful Canadian fellow who joined us for the ride. His character name was Stercus, he's a Terry Pratchett fan, and for someone who had no formal qualification, was one of the most educated, well informed people I've met.

His motivation for sticking around was "Saffer accents sound really awesome on vent, and I have an insane hatred for Yank accents". For context, he used to work in a tech support call centre that catered primarily to the American market. Fast forward a few years, and my husband and Stercus both discovered a mutual interest in military history. Stercus started investigating the Canadian Special Forces in the Second World War. This lead him onto Winston Churchhill, who had learnt a lot of what he knew about special forces watching the Boers fight during the Boer war. In fact, Churchhill was captured by future president Louis Botha, who let him go. That led on to researching the famous General's. Which is how he got to General de la Rey and his influence on the South African military.

Searching Youtube, he found this song:

So that's how a South African got introduced to an Afrikaans artist (South African)singing about the Angola war by a Canadian they met online :)

Same song, just with English subtitles

Arkyle
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Re: Strangest ways you got introduced to a song

Postby DamianaRaven » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:44 pm

May 1st was the anniversary of my first marriage.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Arkyle » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:12 pm

Was it the song for your wedding?

Arkyle
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:46 pm

No, that would be this one. :oops: Speaking of weddings, was that picture of you literally looking a motherfuckin' princess from your wedding day? Did you have a song?

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Arkyle » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:50 pm

Thank you for the compliment, and yeah, that was my wedding. Super cheesy, but Bryan Adams Everything I do was our opening song. I'd actually wanted Peter Gabriel's Book of Love but in the end we agreed on Bryan Adams.

EDIT: Ok, I think we're tied on cheesiness levels :)

Arkyle
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:30 pm

Not nearly as circuitous, but back in 2003, my family took a trip to the West Coast for the first time, seeing Northern California from Humboldt County to Monterey. In the redwood forests, a really haunting song came on the radio, made all the more haunting by being in nature's own cathedral.

At the time, there were not the ten million lyrics websites that there are today, and the only lyrics I remembered were "goodbye Marie my little one" (it's actually "Michelle"), and "the stars we could reach were just starfish on the beach," and that was insufficient to locate the song.

Until 2008, I refused to listen to any music I didn't know I liked, which meant that I listed pretty much exclusively to folk and showtunes. That changed in 2008 when I saw Billy Bragg live on an impulse despite knowing only one song of his. After that began to seek out new music, and at some point remembered that haunting song from California.

Thanks to the proliferation of lyrics sites, I could now identify that song as "Seasons in the Sun." Though the lyrics are certainly the Terry Jacks version, I'm still not sure if the song I heard was sung by Terry Jacks

Or by the boy band Westlife

I think the Terry Jacks version is the one I heard, but I'm not sure if my hatred of modern pop music is clouding my memory in this regard. I will admit that the Westlife version is pretty good, though it doesn't feel as haunting as the Jacks version.

David Wong wrote:7. "But this is the last non-terrible forum on the internet! The rest are full of trolls and Nazis!"

That's just not true at all.
cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Arkyle » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:37 pm

I have to admit a guilty pleasure in Westlife music. Especially "when you're looking like that".

I do love that song though.

Arkyle
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:34 pm

Arkyle wrote:I do love that song though.

Speaking of music you like, how do you feel about Die Antwoord? I started a thread about them. I'm quite a fan, myself.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:13 pm

Well, I was hiding out underneath the couch from a Hillary Duff movie when Jack Ritter approached me and told me about this wonderful band The Go-Go's. Specifically Our Lips Are Sealed, which is a great, wonderful song. Ironically Haylie and Hillary Duff were singing it at the time on television so I could hear it. And boy was Mr. Ritter right. It is a great song. Although I'm a little concerned what a robot was doing under my couch.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep