The Best Stuff of 2014: TCS Edition: Music Edition

What do you listen to?

The Best Stuff of 2014: TCS Edition: Music Edition

Postby Strant » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:22 pm

THE BEST STUFF OF 2014:TCS EDITION: MUSIC EDITION

So it's that time of the year again, the time of the year when the last year just ended so it seems like the last proper time to do that thing where you talk about the best stuff of the last year.

Anyways...

This thread is dedicated to sharing what you thought was the best albums, singles, songs, music videos, whatever so long it's music related, or artists. The stuff that you share doesn't need to have long explanations or anything. Debate is welcome but please do not try to press someone to justify their opinion and also please do try to not say that someone else's music sucks, that's just never fun. Now with that out of the way...

Go post, I'll also post in the thread so that the intro post doesn't get overly long.

Games
Movies/TV
Books
THE INTERNET

<Orange>A fellow called Strant (he's a Swede)
<Orange>Is a fetus who somehow can read
<Orange>He'll plant a chat bomb
<Orange>Though with charm and aplomb
<Orange>Then laugh as he watches us bleed
__

"Somewhere over the rainbow there's another rainbow"
Strant
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Asshole

Re: The Best Stuff of 2014: TCS Edition: Music Edition

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:05 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby Marcuse » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Thanks for posting this thread Strant, I was thinking about writing something about music I've enjoyed from 2014, but wasn't sure anyone would want to read it. Here goes nothing then:

Mayhem - Esoteric Warfare

It sort of goes without saying to anyone that knows me that the latest album from Black Metal gods Mayhem was my primary pick for music this year. Several months later and I'm still listening to and enjoying the album. Weirdly for such a long running band, the music is actually written by new guitarist Teloch, and the difference in style to the outgoing Blasphemer shows. Ordo Ad Chao was a complicated and murky album, and trying to follow that performance with more of the same isn't Mayhem's style. The military and paranormal style of the tracks stands out as well, giving this a very futuristic atmosphere, even while Pandaemon calls on us to remember. A strange beast, and not entirely what I was expecting, Esoteric Warfare is still my pick for album of the year.

Mysticum - Planet Satan

Back in 1993, Mysticum were signed to Euronymous' Deathlike Silence Productions label, and released In the Stream of Inferno, the pioneering Industrial Black Metal album. Planet Satan, released this year, is their second album. It's been a damn long wait for this, and honestly I was concerned that the weight of expectation would overwhelm an otherwise good record. Luckily, this seems to have been far from the band's mind, as Planet Satan is honestly a throwback more than it is a progression. It harks back to the "good old black metal style" with long trebly guitar over lightning fast programmed drums. I find I've enjoyed this album a lot.

Blut Aus Nord/P.H.O.B.O.S. - Triunity

Blut Aus Nord are known for their consistent and constant release schedule, and this split with P.H.O.B.O.S. was no exception, three tracks from both bands released cheaply and with little fanfare, this became one of my constant listen albums of 2014. While I can't get any of the P.H.O.B.O.S. tracks on youtube, if you can find them I recommend "Transfixed at Golgotha" as a wonderful piece of twisted electronica.

Darkspace III i

I've always been a fan of the atmospheric Black Metal style of Wroth (also of Paysage D'Hiver), and this comes out even more in this three track album clocking in at over an hour's runtime. Like most good long running albums, it never quite feels that long, as I lose myself in the tone of the music. This time around, the vocals are less abrasive, and the percussion is more mechanical in tone eschewing the faux realism in favour of a more obviously programmed style. The best part for me is the very end, where a lone voice comes out of the ether to report they've found an airlock, but there's no power. Nobody is about and they're having to proceed alone. I'm sure it's a quote from a film (as they commonly use film quotes) but couldn't tell you which it is.

Nightbringer - Ego Dominus Tuus

The newest offering from Nightbringer is the culmination of their style. I bought their last full length "Heirophany of the Open Grave", and enjoyed the atmosphere, but felt the music lacked punch. This has punch in spades withut relinquishing the atmosphere that made them an attractive prospect in the first place. This is subterranean cultism set to music, the worship of Elder things in sound. It neatly walks the line between crafting good songs, and building that sense of dread, which was missing in their previous work. I've enjoyed it a lot.

Now for a couple of mentions that I bought but haven't enjoyed as much as I think I maybe should have:

Behemoth - The Satanist

Behemoth almost need no introduction now, the massively popular Polish titans return with a Black Metal style and a restoration of their anti-religious focus. The Satanist has been lauded as a masterpiece, and was referred to as album of the year back in January. For my part, I have struggled to enjoy this album. I find that the majority of the tracks have no hook, in service to songwriting that seems to prize homogeneity over inconsistent hooks. There is nothing wrong particularly, no glaring error the band makes, but I find that none of the content grips me enough to keep my attention long enough to finish the album.

Scott Walker and Sunn 0))) - Soused

Everyone who discusses music with me knows I love Sunn 0))). So when i say I didn't enjoy this album, I mean that I have tried very hard to like this album, and it hasn't worked. I've seen the promotional material refer to this particular collaboration as "Scott 0)))", and given the "0)))" isn't commonly pronounced when spoken, I find this to be an accurate representation of Soused. This is written by Scott Walker, for Scott Walker, with Sunn 0))) graciously allowed to play backing to his vocals and songwriting. The vocals, oh my goodness the vocals, they tread roughly on everything else, being far too high in the mix for my liking or enjoyment, and detract from the other musicians in every piece. At one point, Sunn begin a drone for all of twenty seconds, only to stop again because there needs to be more singing. Maybe I'm biased, being a big Sunn 0))) fan and not a Scott Walker fan, maybe if the roles were reversed I'd be complaining that these drone fools keep getting in the way of my favourite singer. I don't know. What I do know is that I enjoyed Soused a lot less than I thought I would, and that's probably been the biggest disappointment for me this year.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Cordslash » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:24 pm

Yeah this is a pop song, and a mediocre one at that, but I still can't get "It's all about the Bass" by Meghan Trainot out of my head. Not saying it's the best by far. But certainly really catchy.

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby Strant » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:54 pm

So let's start with the best albums of the year plus the best song from those albums. Cool? Cool. The album will be linked as the title and the best song will be linked as a youtube video

10: Knife Party - Abandon Ship

This is an album from the house dubstep EDM trend machine known as Knife Party, that also happens to be the best work they have done and also their first actual album instead of an EP or a single. The reasoning behind this is that, well, it's just a good album that is able to evoke more than just a want to dance, it's fun, it's epic, it's even catchy and it does those elements well enough to warrant the 10 spot on at least my list.

9: Crobot - Something Supernatural

Something Supernatural is the first album from Crobot. Crobot is a bluesy rock band that obviously draws inspiration directly from the more classic hard rock and metal bands, like Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath. Sounds boring? Well, it's not. Crobot brings an insane amount of energy and powerful vocals with just as powerful instrumentations, AND A HARMONICA. You might have noticed the word "energy" in the last sentence and if I had to describe the album in a word then it'd be a variation of the word energy. Every song in this album is brimming with enough energy to make you think that Crobot is trying to bring back the rock of the past from the dead.

8: Ariel Pink - Pom Pom

Pom Pom is an album from the hugely influential Contemporary Pop artist Ariel Pink. This is, in my opinion, the best pop album of the year. Now, this isn't really the standard pop album and it has quite a bit of oddities like metal riffs and it changes genres all the time and it's low fi and all sorts of stuff. But you know what? It's still pop and catchy and it has these fun and textured melodies that really sticks in your head. it has stuff like Goth Bomb that is a punky and then white freckles that's straight up synth pop. All in all, a really good album that you probably should look into if you like, well, music.

7: Full of Hell - Full of Hell & Merzbow

Oh hey look, the first metal album on the list, bet you didn't expect any of these from me. Full of Hell is a a grindcore power violence experimental thingamamoger band that has always drawn influence from noise music. In this album they actually collaborated with a noise artist to make a grindcore power violence album that has a very dense feeling to it, the track even has a noise track in it that still keeps to the brutality, though it's not quite as wall to face-y it's still pretty dang angry, so to say. This is a great album if you want a wall of sound to your face, is what I'm saying.

6: Mastodon - Once More 'round the Sun

Mastodon is a progressive sludge metal band that has taken a bit of a shift lately. Luckily for me, I didn't like their past style that much, not to say that their past stuff was anything close to bad, just not something that I became a super big fan of. Their past repertoire has been quite heavy wheras their two latest albums have leaned towards being more catchy and accessible, starting with the hunter which honestly wasn't that great. Once More 'round the Sun is another story entirely. Mastodon managed to keep the accessibility that their past heavy work but at the same time tone down the heavynes of it, it makes it into this alternative rock-ish sludge metal that I can really appreciate with their, quite good, vocals. As usual with Mastodon albums the instrumentals are in the forefront with the vocals not quite taking a backing role but still a not as significant role as the instrumentals, when it comes to production. With catchy choruses, good riffs and well made melodies I think this is some of Mastodon's best work.

5. Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

Experimental Electronic Jazz Hip Hop Fusion. Sounds interesting? Cool? Pretentious? In any case, whatever you think that the description sounds like, it's good. Damn good. The album is very thick and jazzy. It has features from Snoop Dog and Kendrick Lamar, who, for the record, does damn good jobs with their verses. The album has a lot of short songs that barely pass the one minute mark and sometimes not even that. But, those short songs really build well off each other. The album is upbeat and just has a very interesting and cool sound to it while still having both the intellectual vibe of jazz while keeping the cool vibe from hip hop.

4. Aphex Twin - Syro

Aphex Twin is one of the most influential artists of the modern age, and for good reason. He made electronic music on his computer before making electronic music on your computer was cool, and he was damn good at it. Suffice to say, Syro does not disapoint as the return of the king. Very masterfuly crafted songs and to me, it's really one of those things that you have to listen to.

3. Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall

All right, now we are getting into the good stuff. Dead Congregation took the world by storm with their first album Graves of the Archangels, wheras this one seemed to only arouse interest when it came out and was then forgotten about. It's a shame since it's actually better than their first album, at least in my opinion. The production might seem weird and outdated at first glance but it really does fit this album really well and the production actually makes every note clear. The death metal album is riddled with good riffs, good vocals and even memorable drums. I wouldn't say you should skip out of it if you are a death metal fan, since it's the best thing Death Metal has managed to put together in this slow year.

2. Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2

In 2013 El-P and Killer Mike got together to collaborate a bit and ended up producing a album that was regarded by many as the best hip hop album of the year. Personally, I didn't think it was bad but I didn't think it was as good as it could have been. This though? This blows the first one out of the water, it's everything that the first album was but bigger and better. The production is great, even the lines are great, even if they are a bit silly. It was actually hard to pick what the best song was because of how consistent this album is throughout the whole thing, it's honestly ridiculous. The thing that makes this album in the end is the beats, the beats are ridiculously good and not really like anything I've often heard. The first album might have proven that they were fucking brutal, but this proved that they could keep being fucking brutal.

1. Swans - To Be Kind

To be kind is one of those near perfect albums, though it suffers from not being accessible enough. It has this way of starting every song with only really one thing going for it and then adding on that, it's like hearing an explosion expand in song form. The genius about this concept is how it's executed with pin point precision, letting you listen to the newly added part of the song just long enough for you to really get used to it and understand the impact of it, and then they put another one in. And so, what might have sounded like it'd be too repetitive gains from how repetitive it is and creates, at least my, best album of the year.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation
A well made tech death album that I'm not familiar enough with to feel comfortable putting on this list.

Godflesh - A World Lit Only by Fire
Doom Metal band Godflesh returns to their roots with this album but not quite as well as you might expect them to, though still great.

Botanist - VI Flora
Beautiful black metal.

Blues Pills - Blues Pills
Self titled first album from blues rock band Blues Pills with a very powerful female vocalist.

Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden
Best doom metal album this year.

Behomoth - The Satanist
I wanted to like this more than I did, I really did. It's still a good black metal album and it's considered by many to be the best metal album of the year, even if it is a bit over produced in my opinion.

<Orange>A fellow called Strant (he's a Swede)
<Orange>Is a fetus who somehow can read
<Orange>He'll plant a chat bomb
<Orange>Though with charm and aplomb
<Orange>Then laugh as he watches us bleed
__

"Somewhere over the rainbow there's another rainbow"
Strant
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Asshole

Postby Matthew Notch » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:14 pm

It's hard to say, because I have sort of gotten myself into the philosophy of Neal Brennan, as far as songs and albums and stuff.

Even if you are listening on a song-by-song basis and aren't that into albums, do you consider yourself a follower of music?

Yeah, sure, absolutely! I just don't believe in the old definition that a fan of music is: I find a band, I listen to all of it and I pretend to like stuff that I don't like. Now if I don't like it, I just go, "I don't like this." It's way fairer.

So I don't know that I got a whole lot of entire albums that I really got into this year. Of the few that I did, here were my favorites:

Phantogram-Voices

Pitchfork gave it about the review I'd expect, which is to say I EFFING HATE PITCHFORK. I think the pair did a great job of stretching beyond their abilities without sacrificing any songcraft. As usual, Sarah Barthel manages to be the sexiest singer alive entirely through her voice. Their production values have vastly improved as well; check out Bad Dreams for great interplay between the drum machine and guitar, or Bill Murray if you want to be moved deeply.

Run the Jewels-Run the Jewels II

I started this post but had to save it as a draft before I could put it up, and Strant may've beat me to the punch, but still. El-P and Killer Mike are two rappers that I don't always enjoy on their own, but man, together... they just have this great chemistry. They do rap about some big stuff from time to time (one of my favorite tracks, featuring Zack de la Rocha from RATM, effectively discusses the fakeness of some protestors in the face of very real issues such as Ferguson and Eric Garner's death) but for the most part they take turns rapping about their awesomeness at rapping, smoking weed, and having sex (oh gosh THIS EFFING SONG), which is fine with me. I think some purists are gonna cry about the El-P produced industrial-lite beats, and then point to Pinata by Madlib and Freddie Gibbs as "real rap", which frankly rankles me. I personally feel like if you try to get too topical with your flow, you're going to come across as a preachy know-it-all, and when's the last time you liked to be stuck in an elevator with one of those dudes? The best rap is just fun, and this album is huge fun.

Springtime Carnivore-Springtime Carnivore

This was an example of music fandom paying dividends. I got CleverDick into this band called The Hush Sound, which featured Greta Morgan on piano and vocals, a mix I thought he might appreciate. Then one day on chat he goes, "Notch, have you heard of Springtime Carnivore?" It was her solo-ish project, and I hadn't, but I did shortly after, and I have since enjoyed the record immensely. It's a dreamy record, hipsters (like myself) will love it immediately, but her voice is so strong and present, I think it's impossible after a listen or two to not feel like the guys in the above video.

St. Vincent-St. Vincent

It's funny when someone talks about their eclectic taste in music.

La Dispute-Rooms of the House

I haven't talked about this much. This sort of music is my favorite: true emo, with little or no headnods to the current scene. It's a concept record, but not a high one, choosing instead to focus on the politics of people who share a space. I remember when War All the Time came out, and how even though the release coincided with the anniversary of Sept. 11th, Thursday repeatedly asserted that the lyrics were about personal rather than political themes. It was the first time I decided that high falutin' social speak wasn't the direction to write lyrics in. To me, music as an artform isn't meant to change the world, but rather to change the individual's perception of it. This record perfectly exemplifies that mindset; the lyrics are deeply conceptual (also delivered in a speaking/screamy manner not unlike forefathers Fugazi and later ancestors mewithoutyou) but never delve into topics that are bigger than people, which is refreshing in a big way. I think the closest approximation I can find to this record is a band like Cursive, who everyone should immediately listen to. And listen to La Dispute too.

Sylvan Esso-Sylvan Esso

This is still the greatest thing. I love Amelia Meath's voice, how soft and easy it slinks over the gentle production of Nick Sanborn. I like the idea of a folk singer suddenly taken over by deep electronics. It's been a good year for electronic music duos, now that I look back over this post.

Make sure and watch that video up there and you'll see a guy making some great noise with Ableton Live, the same program I use. I always get excited when I see someone using it. Also Marcuse and Strant, it's interesting, your remarks on The Satanist. I haven't personally heard it but it sure did get a bunch of buzz.

Last edited by Matthew Notch on Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby JamishT » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:47 am

Let's be real here, guys, 1989 was the best album of the year. It swiftly got out of the woods of mediocre music and left a blank space where the rest of Taylor Swift's music stopped. It was wild variation of style that said "goodbye Nashville, welcome to New York", but it remained clean, like if New York was really a wonderland filled with new romantics. I know places aren't like that, and I know some of you have bad blood toward Miss Swift, but I wish you would just shake it off. I don't know why you let yourself come to hate her; all you had to do is stay positive about her and actual listen to her words. That's how you get the girl and her tunes. That's how I came to feel this love; one day after hours of listening, I thought to myself, you are in love with TSwift's music!....and the rest is history.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby OhJohnNo » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:05 pm

Just delete the last four (bonus) tracks off this mixtape and it's basically perfect. The instrumentation is beautiful and lush, heavy on soft synths and pianos, with the nice trap bass boom backing it all up. The vocals are what I really love though - taking the rhythmic, percussive elements of rapping and combining it with an unpredictable and unusual melodic sensibility. Listening to them singrap feels more like listening to a particularly expressive saxophone soloist than a normal vocalist.

The lyrics could probably stand to be a fair bit less shallow (not once do they talk about anything beyond purely primal pursuits), but it's far from a dealbreaker for me - especially since you can barely understand them half the time. If anything I'm pleased to see hip-hop moving away from lyricism and towards a purely musical focus. I long for someone to make a lyricless rap verse, made entirely with vocal sounds. I think we're getting pretty close.

Don't underrate, appreciate
OhJohnNo
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Lord of the game

Postby 52xMax » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:39 am

Edit: I just saw there were different threads for different things, so I guess I'm gonna be changing most of the stuff I said here to the relevant thread(s).

I usually go at my own pace with things that I like or am even aware of, so it's natural that I fall behind and most of the things I saw/listened/read, etc. last year were not made during said year.

As for music, I can't think of any new artists or even songs that come to mind. I'm sure there were at least a few decent ones, though. Weird Al's album was awesome. St. Vincent's was good too, and Foo Fighters was okay, but not their best work. Most of the other artists featured in the best of the year lists I either don't care about or I'm not even familiar with them.

I guess that was more TV-centric than I expected, but TV shows are the only things I keep up to date, mostly in order to avoid spoilers.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:29 pm

I was going to post about five albums here, but then I realized they all came out about 3-4 years ago and that I really suck at keeping track of time.

*reads what other people have posted, takes notes*

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:03 am

I like Charlie XCX....
....I'll show myself to the gallows.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:15 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:I like Charlie XCX....

Tell them to prepare two nooses because I'll be joining you!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby gregfrankenstein » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:12 am

JamishT wrote:
NathanLoiselle wrote:I like Charlie XCX....

Tell them to prepare two nooses because I'll be joining you!

Honestly, I feel like the biggest reason I haven't made a "best of 2014" list is because I would just list Sucker ten times.

gregfrankenstein
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Heightener of Fives

Postby OhJohnNo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:37 pm

Those who do not like Charli XCX are not welcome to my house or food.

Don't underrate, appreciate
OhJohnNo
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Lord of the game

Postby Bye Bye Denver Diva » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:23 pm

My list is coming, y'all.

It's going to be actually good. Imagine that.

Don't upvote any of my comments, please. That shit's not for me.
Bye Bye Denver Diva
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Propagating Musical Supremacy

Next