Bleeps & Bloops: Electronic Music

What do you listen to?

Bleeps & Bloops: Electronic Music

Postby OhJohnNo » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:35 pm

I did a double-take when I realised we didn't already have one of these. Usually these threads end up rivalling the size of metal threads when they're created on forums. Do we not have any fans here or did everyone just forget?

Well, whatever happened, let's start fixing it now by posting electronic music of all kinds. Techno, IDM, downtempo, breakcore, industrial, witch house (*cough*Sybyll*cough*) and whatever else - if it's made primarily on a synthesiser or laptop, chances are it'll fit in this thread. This chart, too big to fit in IMG tags on this forum, is a good guide to the various subgenres of electronic music. The only restriction I'd make is that hip-hop should generally go into the dedicated hip-hop thread unless it's one of the instrumental subgenres, but since the experimental thread died (;___;) I'll accept even the most bizarre and left-field of stuff in here.

Now I'll get us started by posting, first of all, what I'm listening to as I type this:

The Field - From Here We Go Sublime:

This didn't really stick the first time I heard it, but on the second time it definitely is. Perhaps that's because I'm more in the mood this time, having been listening to a lot of fairly minimal techno lately. It's soulful and gorgeous, and perfectly suited for headphone listening, but I can just as well imagine dancing to that beat.

I can theoretically see it being possible to dance to this next one, but I somehow get the impression nobody has...

Vatican Shadow - Kneel Before Religious Icons

Bam! Industrial techno. As put by a reviewer on RYM: "It feels sometimes as if the industrial machine is caught in a broken loop, a neverending cycle of horrors, however distant they may be." The more it repeats, the more subtleties you notice, and the sounds are pretty goddamn nice to start with. I love me some good techno.

One genre not represented on that chart - probably because it isn't really a definable genre - is IDM. Yes, it does stand for "Intelligent Dance Music", and yes, that is a horrendously pretentious abortion of a genre name (though it originally stems from the label a lot of early artists were signed onto), but don't fear - the music itself is only slightly horrendously pretentious.

patten - GLAQJO XAACSSO

To be honest, I have trouble describing what it is about a lot of IDM that makes it so enjoyable for me. I guess the rhythms are really cool and I like the way it develops, and the atmospheres it creates - but then most of that goes for all electronic music. Perhaps I should just throw another video at you and leave it up to you:

Autechre - Gantz Graf EP

"Autechre records are purchased solely by bald men in expensive anoraks who would masturbate to a car alarm if it was re-mixed by a German", say NME. Well, NME also said the new Arctic Monkeys album was the best album of the decade so far, so they can go fuck themselves. Autechre may have popularised that really annoying obsession in IDM with made-up words for song titles, but that doesn't stop all their songs from being absolutely captivating.

I'll turn it over to you guys at this point. Since we've had so little discussion of this stuff I'm interested to see what comes up. Unless of course it turns out that nobody here likes any of it and the thread just sinks into the ground...

Don't underrate, appreciate
OhJohnNo
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Lord of the game

Re: Bleeps & Bloops: Electronic Music

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:20 pm

OhJohnNo wrote:I did a double-take when I realised we didn't already have one of these. Usually these threads end up rivalling the size of metal threads when they're created on forums.

*cough* Granted, a lot of the metal thread here has turned into me talking to myself because I refuse to let it die, so...

I don't really have anything to contribute here, I haven't really ever listened to electronic music, though I'll give these songs a listen later when I have the chance.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby OhJohnNo » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:25 pm

Metal threads on every forum get big. It's just the way it is.

OhJohnNo
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:08 am

Oh man I don't know why I didn't start a thread like this. I have a love of electronic music that I don't often indulge. Without further ado, here's a few of my favourites:

Skinny Puppy - Illisit (from Weapon)

I bought this album randomly based on samples I heard. Skinny Puppy are a pretty popular industrial band, and I love how they use electronic music to make something that kind of resembles a song without compromising the electronic sound. Like a lot of electronic music, it uses repetition and structured variation to add elements over time.

Mortiis - Parasite God (from The Smell of Rain)

You've just gotta love Mortiis, the man started his music career in Emperor, then went solo and began making "dungeon synth" for several years, then abruptly changed his style entirely to techno/industrial music. All that in a troll mask. The Smell of Rain was an excellent album all round, and despite the hokey silliness of his appearance (which, incidentally, he'd wanted to shed for a long time, but was persuaded not to by his label), the music is actually engaging and interesting to listen to.

Bonus Round - Keisar Av En Dimensjon Ukjent

The phrase "dungeon synth" isn't used often enough. I am here to rectify this. Enjoy.

Rotersand - Exterminate.Annihilate.Destroy (from Welcome to Goodbye)

Why yes, yes that is a dalek sample in this German techo song. Why do you ask? It's because that's fucking badass isn't it? Thought so. Apparently the guys in the band aren't even Who fans and had no idea what it was they were sampling until later. I don't know how true that actually is because I presume they needed permission to use the sound of the guy who said that's voice. But you never know. Anyway, these guys make some interesting dance music.

Einsturzende Neubauten - Yu-Gung [Adrian Sherwood Remix] (From Halber Mensch)

These guys were making music with spoons and stuff well before I was born. They're awesome. The remix is a little more catchy than the original as well. I love all of Halber Mensch, but I think Yu-Gung is probably my favourite song. For a track from the mid 80s, these guys show an impressive level of inventiveness and I genuinely think a lot of bands today don't reach the kind of experimentation and actual listenable music as this band does.

Alec Empire - Electric Bodyrock (from Intelligence and Sacrifice)

The Intelligence and Sacrifice album comes with two discs, one of electronica infused metal, and one of pure electronic music. This is one of those CD B tracks, and honestly it's one of the most catchy pure electronic songs I've ever listened to. It just bounces. Despite the repetition inherent to electronic music genres, it manages to keep a high tempo and just keeps me interested for the entire run of the track.

Aborym - Chernobyl Generation (from With No Human Intervention)

I think the album title says it all here. Aborym always used to do one pure electronic track on each of their albums, and this was one of those. There's something compelling to a black metal band seriously and regularly putting songs like this on otherwise high speed BM albums. I'll admit it's not the most interesting of beats, but it's got an element that no other dance music has, Attila on vocals.

Non-Bio - Mutoid Man (from Pillar of Salt)

I've linked this before, but it's one of the most interesting beats I've heard in a while. It sounds like it's playign backwards or something. Also the voices played over the beat say some interesting things. I think the first line is "who controls the medicines, controls the physical". I can enjoy me some weird samples.

The Presets - My People (from Apocalypso)

I just love this song. My son loves this song. It's so upbeat and just has this kind of energy I've rarely heard in most electronic music. I find myself singing this song, and the video is a frankly perfect reflection of the song. This band seems less known that they should be, so I'd recommend anyone who likes this to check them out, there's a lot of music videos on YouTube if you search.

Underworld - Cups (from Beaucoup Fish)

There's something about slowly developing House music that I adore. Maybe it's the feel of it, maybe it's the interest I have in repetition and gradual addition of sounds. I don't know, but there's something about this kind of thing that just pulls me in and makes me want to listen to a full 11 minutes of this.

Venetian Snares - Hajnal (from Rosz Csillag Alatt Szuletett)

You know what breakbeats need? More classical music. No I never thought it'd work either. But it does, and it works damn well. It's engaging to listen to, and the album focuses on softening the hard noise of the breakbeats with the softer tones of the classical samples.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Sybyll Adastra » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:29 pm

Did someone say bizarre and left field?
Haha time for Vaporwave.

Really though, Vaporwave is too weird to be good and pretty dead. How about something just as weird and more dead:
Seapunk

Ok good things now.
Chillwave

Acid Jazz

And o'course some Witch House

Also, all of these have really awesome/trippy music videos, which is why I picked them.

Except this cause I want to sneak some Trap in here too.

Sybyll Adastra
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:16 pm

Huh, that's weird. I don't know if I confused the Remixes/Mashups thread with the Electronic Music thread? But I coulda sworn we had one of these. Well at any rate...

Because I'm not a big ol' fan of four on the floor (I bet you didn't even know that was a thing!) I get irritated pretty quickly by a lot of conventional techno. When I was looking to buy my Launchpad so many of the videos demonstrating Ableton Live were like "3 hrs. of progressive house music!" or something. That bugs me. Also there are certainly some sorts of music which is basically the exact same pattern for ten minutes, and that also bugs me, because yes, there's a certain amount of zen enjoyment to be had in discovering new tidbits in every iteration, but it sounds so lazy to me that I can't abide it.

Of the genres that can't seem to break away from OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ I think chiptune is the best, for some reason:

Boy 8-Bit

JDDJ3J

Some random

Also Madeon is pretty good.

Icarus

I listen to lots and lots of chillout type music.

Bonobo

Andrew Bayer (if you only listen to one song in this post, make this one the one)

Sylvan Esso

I don't even care; I like dubstep, brostep, all the steps.

Mat Zo and Kill the Music

Adventure Club feat. Marquese Scott, that chap who was on the Ellen show

Benga

Magnetic Man feat. Katy B, except that it's more like drum and bass

What can I say, I'm not good at genres. I'm that kind of dude Ambi HATES :P

And finally, everybody always knocks Edison, but I don't see why!

I'd probably post less music in these things if we ever did hotseat in iRC again and it didn't turn into ALL METAL ALL THE TIME

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:00 am

JugularNotch wrote:What can I say, I'm not good at genres. I'm that kind of dude Ambi HATES :P

In fairness, I hate you for a lot of other reasons already.

Spoiler: show
I don't actually hate Notch, he's a cool guy. No one tell him I said that though.

Listened to everything posted, I liked a good bit of it. There you go, I liked something other than metal.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby OhJohnNo » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:36 am

Glad to hear it, Ambi. I have some louder, more br00tal stuff available for your listening pleasure too.

OhJohnNo
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:33 pm

I stumbled across this one a couple of days ago, I think it's really interesting even if the vocalist looks like a jowly Gary Numan.

I just find this kind of music sounds so urbane and cool, though lyrics are generic as hell.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:48 am

I heard this on the Blog Radio segment on the satellite radio's College station, which means literally the most hipster music ever, and I really liked it for the bass line, but I'm still sorting out in my head if I like it otherwise. I do, though, really like a good, incredibly slow-paced bass jam.

Also, I haven't talked much about this here (I have a bit more on the chat), but I'm a Grimes FANboy. She is my musical hero and I literally want to BE her. I don't want her to be my girlfriend or my sister or mom or whatever. I just wish I had one tenth of the imagination and pop sensibility she has. Actually, I'm making the music I'm making right now just because I was inspired by watching her do it.Although I do like my big muscles, so I'm torn.

Anyway, she's got a new record presumably coming out in September, but she released this song that she did with Blood Diamonds that apparently they had written for Rihanna, of all people (they are now on Roc-a-Fella for management, so I guess there's sort of a connection there), and Rihanna rejected it because it didn't sound like Rihanna. So she had the balls to just record it herself and now it's gaining some traction. I think it works in the Grimes canon because she always did pop music, but I've heard "mainstream" and "sellout" a couple times since its release. Decide for yourself, but I think it's the bee's knees.

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Andropov4 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:02 am

I don't really buy into the notion of musicians selling out, since they have as much a right to make money as anyone else. If they feel they can fulfill their dreams or their financial needs by changing their styles, I hope they do. Besides, a musician's sound should evolve over time, at least a bit. Being mainstream isn't a morally reprehensible thing. A little boring sometimes, but then, as an artist, they have every right to make whatever kind of music they feel like. If you don't think a musician's new work is good, stop listening, you self-righteous cockbite.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:00 am

Exeffinxactly! So the first time I heard it was, coincidentally, also on the College station. I had no idea she's written it for this massive pop star. As far as I knew, it was Grimes through and through, and she had just added a couple more contemporary tricks to her already overstuffed bag of music magic. To me I just figured she was evolving, and it was very exciting. I'd even say I was disappointed to find out she didn't have more music like that coming, but that would be a lie because frankly she can do no wrong in my eyes. A lot of EDM anymore is as much about the culture surrounding it (lookin' at you, seapunk) as the genre of music itself, and that typically annoys me because no one is doing their own thing or being honest. But with Grimes, I legit have great love for the whole thing: her music, her methods, her persona, her art choices (and she is also an accomplished visual artist AND a ballerina), I mean all of it. I could go on.

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby OhJohnNo » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:22 am

A couple live performances for y'all.

Epilepsy warning

EDIT: oh this happened

OhJohnNo
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:28 pm

RDJ in the Aphex Twin article wrote:You're brainwashed in the West with equal temperament, so it's quite hard for people who like following rules to get outside of that and see what you can do. But for me it's easy because I don't work like that. I work intuitively. I actually prefer it if I don't know what I'm supposed to do. If you've got an equal temperament piano keyboard, then you know what you're going to get if you play certain chords. But I actually like it if you don't know where the notes are, because then you do it intuitively. You're working out a new language, basically. New rules. And when you get new rules that work, you're changing the physiology of your brain. And then your brain has to reconfigure itself in order to deal with it.

So if you hear a C-major chord with an equal temperament, you've heard it a million times before and your brain accepts it. But if you hear a chord that you've never heard before, you're like, "huh." And your brain has to change shape to accept it. And once it's changed shape, then you have changed as a person, in a tiny way. And if you have a whole combination of all these different frequencies, you're basically reconfiguring your brain. And then you've changed as a person, and you can go and do something else. It's a constant change. It could sound pretty cosmic and hippie, but that is exactly what's going on.

That is the greatest and best thing anyone has ever said about electronic music. Effing Pitchfork though

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby AboveGL » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:45 pm

I really enjoyed the songs posted here! Venetian Snares sounds interesting and I've had Hajnal on repeat.

My brief contribution:

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Next