Musicians who are way better live

What do you listen to?

Musicians who are way better live

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:20 pm

Talking on another thread about some acts that I like live, but don't really like their albums, I started thinking about artists who are good live but far less impressive on their albums.

For me, the quintessential example of this is Bob Malone. I first saw him several times at a folk festival, and he electrified me each time. I thought I had a new favorite artist, and bought a whole bunch of his albums, only to realize that after the second playing I never wanted to hear his those CDs again.

And yet I still check constantly to see if he's coming to near where I am, because I absolutely would go to another concert of his in a heartbeat. Every year when I go to folk festivals, and they ask who wasn't there that I'd like to see, if Bob Malone isn't there, I write down his name. He's amazing live.

Here's some of his live songs. They fail to capture some the effects of watching him live (he has serious charisma) but they're still musically far better than recordings I have on his CDs.

The only pre-recorded song I can find on YouTube is actually at about the same level as his live recordings, but I'm not in the least bit surprised that it's the only one I can find. For the most part, it seems like live Malone and CD Malone are practically different artists.

What about you guys? Are there any musicians you really love live who can't seem to make a decent CD?

David Wong wrote:7. "But this is the last non-terrible forum on the internet! The rest are full of trolls and Nazis!"

That's just not true at all.
cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Re: Musicians who are way better live

Postby AdricDePsycho » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:43 pm

Maybe The Who or Grateful Dead. Granted, their studio albums aren't bad, but they always do better live.

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Re: Musicians who are way better live

Postby Taluun » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:57 am

So I'm going to take this in a slightly different direction in that these bands aren't bands that I dislike when it comes to studio work but bands that just blew me away live when I already loved their studio work.

Not to say the others don't do great but Bruce just tears this up vocally and its amazing

Watsky and the Drummer just do so much with this live.

The way his voice echoes a bit and just how "large" yet crisp the sounds are is just so exciting.

Taluun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep