What's your least favorite music?

What do you listen to?

What's your least favorite music?

Postby Tesseracts » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:56 am

I'm at a convention. I went to a rave tonight, out of curiosity, because I've never been to one. I left after 5 minutes because I wasn't feeling the music and my mind was melting. My ears are still ringing, and it's an hour later.

I have a habit of listening to every station on the radio when I'm in the car. Sometimes I listen to the dance music station. Sometimes I actually enjoy it. But this was different. It was less... music, and more like continuous thumping. I'm fairly certain I was the only person over 18 in the rave room, but I wouldn't have liked this when I was a stupid teenager either. All they do is buy a bunch of glowing objects, bounce up and down to terrible music, crowd around some guy wearing a horse mask jerking his arms randomly, and cheer as if that guy is entertaining. I don't know how anyone can enjoy this without the assistance of many drugs. I feel like whatever I am, rave music is the opposite of it.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: What's your least favorite music?

Postby Marcuse » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:49 am

Tesseracts wrote: All they do is buy a bunch of glowing objects, bounce up and down to terrible music, crowd around some guy wearing a horse mask jerking his arms randomly, and cheer as if that guy is entertaining

Are you sure you weren't just playing Hotline Miami?

As for my least favourite music, I'm going to say, and hear me out, mainstream manufactured pop. I say hear me out because I'm not saying it because of the people that make music like that, I'm less happy with the way it is managed, how the actual talent is treated, and how restrictive it feels. I can listen to a pop song as much as anyone else, but what I dislike is the way the artists are handled by the management structure surrounding the industry.

Put it this way, if you want to get started in pretty much any other genre of music, you just need to grab a few people, make a few demos and fling them out there and see what happens. In order to be a successful pop star, you NEED a large financial backing, some kind of corporate money behind you and even then you KNOW that unless you're absurdly successful you'll be off the radar in about 3-5 years time.

Taking as an example, the horrific TV talent shows that exist all over the place, frequently the winners are forgotten about in favour of the photogenic runner up, the one that didn't win but had a nice sob story to back them up, the weird one who has a nice voice despite it. This industry uses people more often and much harder than any other music industry. People like Susan Boyle ended up having panic attacks as a result of fame that, while it was maybe invited, wasn't under the artist's control, and ended up causing that person health problems as a result.

I don't mind light music, and I don't mind happy songs about nice things. I do mind those selfsame people being tossed aside when they are of no more use like they're not people. It lends the entire genre a nasty tinge that I always think about when I'm hearing that kind of music.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby OhJohnNo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:42 am

Power metal, I guess. It's fun for a bit but the way so much of the internet seems to worship it as a super-serious art form baffles me. This stuff is the musical equivalent of Transformers 2.

Whatever subgenre of hip-hop Hopsin belongs to also deserves a mention. He might just be my least favourite artist.

Don't underrate, appreciate
OhJohnNo
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Lord of the game

Postby Bye Bye Denver Diva » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:50 pm

Erm, I'm not exactly sure what "rave" music is. It could be any number of things; trance, EDM, trap. Who knows? And I like all of those. Maybe it was just a bad environment you were in. I can't say, I don't go to raves.

As for me? Pretty much what OJN said. Really not into power metal or Hopsin's brand of "conscious" hip hop. Which isn't to say power metal and conscious hip hop are bad genres. Au contraire! Conscious hip hop has given us El-P, Lil B, Killer Mike. For power metal, well, I'm not sure that it's fanbase are as serious as Orange Juice lets on, which may, in fact, be worse. Missing the point is an honest mistake, settling for complacent spectacle is just depressing. I might just add that there's probably a reason eurodance will never be taken seriously as a genre.

Don't upvote any of my comments, please. That shit's not for me.
Bye Bye Denver Diva
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Propagating Musical Supremacy

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:22 pm

Hmm, least favorite music. Probably going to have to go with pop. Or at least radio pop, bleegghhh. To poppy (yes I realize what I just said, I hate it for what it is), annoying, and too goddamn happy. Granted, I don't think too highly of modern radio rock either. Overproduced boring garbage. I do have quite the hatred for Nu Metal as well. In addition to the god awful (and inaccurate) name, you get shitty riffs and a poor attempt at aggressive music.

Edit: Changed a sentence a bit so that it made more sense.

Last edited by Dr. Ambiguous on Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby Andropov4 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:31 pm

I have to agree with the good Doctor on Nu Metal (Typing that name annoys me. "Nu"? Really?) Aside from that, basically any kind of bubblegum pop. And country. I just don't like the vast majority of country acts, both new and old.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby AboveGL » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:26 am

Probably dance music. I really love some dance songs but I don't care for most of it and my brain won't process it anyway.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Typical Michael » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:28 am

Can't do reggaeton. Nope. Don't like jazz either. Probably because I'm dumb.

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:37 am

When I think "rave music" my mind generally goes to House, which I strongly dislike. So many other flavors of electronic music really demonstrate the artistry and passion of the person who created it. Look, guys, I even like Skrillex, so what I'm getting at is that I can tolerate a lot. House music is, to my mind, practically useless if you aren't at a rave. Even then, you could probably replace the songs with five hours of nothing but "oontz oontz oontz" and none of those jokers would notice. It is, to me, a great injustice that drum and bass gets such a bad rap while every DJ and his dog sit around "creating" House music.

Also ur dumb Mick, jazz is awsum

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby Bye Bye Denver Diva » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:35 am

JugularNotch wrote:Also ur dumb Mick, jazz is awsum

It is insensitive to insult plebeians. :^)

Don't upvote any of my comments, please. That shit's not for me.
Bye Bye Denver Diva
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Propagating Musical Supremacy

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:51 am

Touche, Denvy.

While I'm at it, I should mention that I'm not ENTIRELY against country either, but most of the stuff that's out now is utter garbage. Cowboys actually used to be cool back in the day (they really did) but the culture, which of course was all about celebrating independence and individuality, is now so homogenized and very reliant on the approval of onlookers that when I hear a song like "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" I want to do something that demonstrates my great anger and lack of imagination for describing such a thing.

Anyhow, that's not really my complaint. I think my most loathed genre is ranchera. I like cumbia, I DO in fact enjoy the sounds of reggaeton, bossa nova, other Latin genres, etc. etc. but ranchera is the country of Mexican music. It sounds like polka because basically that's what it is, and let's face it: like 5% of the world's population enjoys polka. (If for some reason you're reading this and do, in fact, enjoy polka, don't be mad, be glad! You're an individual and the opposite of a country music fan.) Nope, it's just not my thing, sorry Mexico.

Hmm, this is a lot more music that's my least favorite than I thought I had

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:29 pm

Typical Michael wrote:Can't do reggaeton. Nope.

You're my freaking spirit animal, man.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby OhJohnNo » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:55 pm

What is reggaeton?

OhJohnNo
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:30 pm

OhJohnNo wrote:What is reggaeton?

Is a music genre that as its name says is derived from reggae, with vocals that include rapping and singing, typically in Spanish. Lyrics tend to be derived from hip hop. I bet that my fellow TCSers can give a more funny rundown about it. We discussed it before.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby OhJohnNo » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:43 pm

I listened to some on youtube. Sounds pretty inoffensive to me, not the kind of stuff I'd seek out or care about hearing again but not awful either. Maybe I just haven't been overexposed to it, or maybe I just don't care about the whole sex part.

OhJohnNo
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Next