Youtube = Hidden

What do you listen to?

Youtube = Hidden

Postby Marcuse » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:58 pm

Hey everyone, since someone suggested a clearout of the music subforum we've looked into it, and we have a shiny new feature!

To make music threads faster to load, we have a youtube=hidden tag you can use to prevent the youtube embed from loading until a button is pressed by the person viewing the thread. Hopefully this will prevent some older computers from exploding when trying to view music threads.

So in future, please could everyone use the youtube=hidden tag for youtube embeds in music threads.

So you use this like you'd use a normal tag, but instead of the initial "youtube", you put [youtube=hidden][/youtube].

Have fun!

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Re: Youtube = Hidden

Postby Learned Nand » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:03 pm

This feature works with timestamps and various URL formats, just like the normal youtube tag. Here's what the hidden tag looks like in practice:

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:05 pm

Thanks Aviel for fixing everything!

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:12 pm

Quick question, do we need to hide all embeds by default now or just ones in embed heavy threads (like the music threads)? So if I have the only (or one of few) embed in a page does it need to be hidden?

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby Marcuse » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:41 pm

I'm not the definitive authority on things like this, but I'm under the impression the reason we're doing this is to help loading times on threads with lots of embeds. I'd say that an embed here and there in non-music/video threads should be fine. I occasionally change them over as the mood takes me if I think a particular thread is loading too slowly and I see a few embeds on there, but in general I'd say a good guideline is if there's likely to be a high volume of embeds use youtube=hidden and if it's not likely to see many use the normal tag.

I'm highly doubtful that if anything was problematic it'd be anything other than a moderator having to change the tag with an edit, but I guess having the guideline there makes sense.

TL:DR - Use it for embed heavy threads and don't worry about it for an isolated vid

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:10 am

That's pretty much what I figured, but I wanted to double check. I don't want to make you guys have to do extra work and hide embeds when I could've done it myself. Thanks.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby Marcuse » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:00 pm

I just wanted to add a big thank you to everyone who has taken the time to edit their own posts in Music to add the youtube=hidden tag. I've noticed a couple of people doing this, and it's a big help.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:51 pm

To be clear though, it's not necessary in threads with only an embed or two per page. I've seen it in threads where people don't normally link YouTube videos, and it's not necessary there. It's just to help with load times on pages with a number of videos.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality