Utterly depressing music

What do you listen to?

Re: Utterly depressing music

Postby OhJohnNo » Mon May 04, 2015 9:53 pm

Probably the most unpleasant thing ever sung right here - not in that metal "hey look how edgy I am, BLOODGUTSRAPELOL" (much love to that tho, it's fun) but in a way that's genuinely devastating. I'm glad somebody sang it though - needed to be sung, I think.

For reference, the lyrics:

Spoiler: show
I eat too much to die
And not enough to stay alive
I'm sitting in the middle waiting

Days since I last pissed
Cheeks sunken and despaired
So gorgeous sunk to six stone
Lose my only remaining home

See my third rib appear
A week later all my flesh disappears
Stretching taut, cling-film on bone
I'm getting better

Karen says I've reached my target weight
Kate and Emma and Kristin know it's fake
Problem is diet's not a big enough word

I wanna be so skinny that I rot from view

I want to walk in the snow
And not leave a footprint
And not soil its purity

Stomach collapsed at five
Lift up my skirt my sex is gone
Naked and lovely and 5st. 2
May I bud and never flower

My vision's getting blurred
But I can see my ribs and I feel fine
My hands are trembling stalks
And I can feel my breasts are sinking

Mother tries to choke me with roast beef
And sits savouring her sole Ryvita
That's the way you're built, my father said

But I can change, my cocoon shedding

And not leave a footprint
And not soil its purity

Kate and Kristin and Kit Kat
All things I like looking at
Too weak to fuss, too weak to die
Choice is skeletal in everybody's life

I choose my choice, I starve to frenzy
Hunger soon passes and sickness soon tires
Legs bend, stockinged, I am Twiggy
And I don't mind the horror that surrounds me

Self-worth scatters, self-esteem's a bore
I long since moved to a higher plateau
This discipline's so rare so please applaud
Just look at the fat scum who pamper me so

Yeah, 4st. 7, an epilogue of youth
Such beautiful dignity in self-abuse
I've finally come to understand life
Through staring blankly at my navel

Don't underrate, appreciate
OhJohnNo
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Lord of the game

Postby skrotkanon » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:14 pm

Hliðskjálf (Hlidskjalf) by Burzum is the most depressing shit I've heard in my whole life. He (Varg Vikernes) recorded it while doing time in prison for murder. He was only allowed a keyboard so it's basically minimalist Blackmetal on a single keyboard.

The result is haunting to say the least. He conveys ennui masterfully with long monotonous passages and really drawn-out chords. The tracks do have loose structures but they're not exactly songs, I can't readily explain it to be honest.

I haven't listened to the album in quite some time because it shuts me down, my brain and heart is cold after listening to it, like the album was a emotional black hole.

10/10, a must-listen! :mrgreen:

skrotkanon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Sleepyhead

Postby Bromo » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:18 am

If you watched Puella Magi Madoka Magica, you would know why this score is so depressing

"I spent a good 20 minutes searching for my glasses, when I realized I was seeing a bit too well.

Then I reached for my face and there were they." --Toy, 2016

The Pokémon master formerly known as Kevin Durant.
Bromo
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Token Homo

Postby Bromo » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:34 am

skrotkanon wrote:Hliðskjálf (Hlidskjalf) by Burzum is the most depressing shit I've heard in my whole life. He (Varg Vikernes) recorded it while doing time in prison for murder. He was only allowed a keyboard so it's basically minimalist Blackmetal on a single keyboard.

The result is haunting to say the least. He conveys ennui masterfully with long monotonous passages and really drawn-out chords. The tracks do have loose structures but they're not exactly songs, I can't readily explain it to be honest.

I haven't listened to the album in quite some time because it shuts me down, my brain and heart is cold after listening to it, like the album was a emotional black hole.

I'm listening to it as I type this post. Is this what it feels to commit a grave sin? Listening to this gives me feelings of fear, anxiety, sadness, anger, loneliness, so on, and so forth. I never sympathized with a murderer before.

"I spent a good 20 minutes searching for my glasses, when I realized I was seeing a bit too well.

Then I reached for my face and there were they." --Toy, 2016

The Pokémon master formerly known as Kevin Durant.
Bromo
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Token Homo

Postby FieldMarshalFry » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:02 am

Man of the World, Fleetwood Mac, white man can play the blues

Last edited by Marcuse on Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: youtube=hidden
Supreme Commander of the Imperial Royal Cracked Army (also The Comments Section Militia), currently commanding the retake of the Troll Mines of 4chan in World Internet War 1, direct superior to Major. General Obvious, General Ignorance and General Knowledge.
FieldMarshalFry
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Field Marshal of TCS

Postby gregfrankenstein » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:37 am

Andropov4 wrote:

Spoiler: show
It's about child abuse.

Good god. I went so far as to post a Soundcloud cover of that song without figuring it out.

*hugs pillow* I JUST WANTED BARITONE VOCALS.

gregfrankenstein
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Heightener of Fives

Postby Revolving Royal » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:55 pm

I can't believe no one posted this yet.

One of my personal favorites

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out" -Ray Bradbury

I am not “full of hate” as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine. ~Internet Wiseman
Revolving Royal
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lurker

Postby Andropov4 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:04 pm

skrotkanon wrote:Hliðskjálf (Hlidskjalf) by Burzum is the most depressing shit I've heard in my whole life. He (Varg Vikernes) recorded it while doing time in prison for murder. He was only allowed a keyboard so it's basically minimalist Blackmetal on a single keyboard.

Isn't he the one who stabbed his bandmate to death, and then turned into a neo-Nazi while he was in prison?

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby skrotkanon » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:55 am

Andropov4 wrote:

Isn't he the one who stabbed his bandmate to death, and then turned into a neo-Nazi while he was in prison?

Quite possibly, the album is still a unique experience. I didn't even know who it was when I bought it (i bought it because i love the cover!) but if you don't wanna support him, check it out on Youtube or something. It's definitely worth an hour, though I suggest headphones for maximum existential anxiety!

skrotkanon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Sleepyhead

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:49 am

Oh god, Varg Vikernes. Motherfucking Varg Veikernes. Yeah, he stabbed the ever loving fuck out of one of his former bandmates, Euronymous. Stabbed the ever loving fuck out of him 23 times to be precise. Claims it was self-defense. That band was known as Mayhem, oh the incredibly infamous Mayhem. There was also the time their first vocalist, Dead, slit his wrist, and then blew his brains out with a shotgun. His suicide note read "Sorry for all the mess. Cheers!" Dead also most likely had Cotards Syndrome. And let's not forget how good ol' Euronymous found Dead's body, then left to go to a convenience store to buy a disposable camera, came back, rearranged things, then took some pictures. One of those pictures ended up being used as the album cover to a bootleg recording of their live concerts, IThe Dawn of The Black Hearts. Then there's all the church burnings. Did I mention that we're just scratching the surface of the black metal scene? What were we talking about again?

Oh yeah, Varg. Yeah, Varg murder-stabbed his band mate 23 times, burned some churches, turned into a Neo-Nazi, then renounced Neo-Nazism, not because he learned better, but because he felt the label wasn't accurate. His views are still out there, I don't know enough about his ideology to say if it technically qualifies as Neo-Nazism or not (probably does). Either way, he's racist as all fuck.

So yeah... Varg... good musician, horrible person. Do with that what you will.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby MisterKrinkle » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:05 am

Dr. Ambiguous wrote:Oh god, Varg Vikernes. Motherfucking Varg Veikernes. Yeah, he stabbed the ever loving fuck out of one of his former bandmates, Euronymous. Stabbed the ever loving fuck out of him 23 times to be precise. Claims it was self-defense. That band was known as Mayhem, oh the incredibly infamous Mayhem. There was also the time their first vocalist, Dead, slit his wrist, and then blew his brains out with a shotgun. His suicide note read "Sorry for all the mess. Cheers!" Dead also most likely had Cotards Syndrome. And let's not forget how good ol' Euronymous found Dead's body, then left to go to a convenience store to buy a disposable camera, came back, rearranged things, then took some pictures. One of those pictures ended up being used as the album cover to a bootleg recording of their live concerts, IThe Dawn of The Black Hearts. Then there's all the church burnings. Did I mention that we're just scratching the surface of the black metal scene? What were we talking about again?

Oh yeah, Varg. Yeah, Varg murder-stabbed his band mate 23 times, burned some churches, turned into a Neo-Nazi, then renounced Neo-Nazism, not because he learned better, but because he felt the label wasn't accurate. His views are still out there, I don't know enough about his ideology to say if it technically qualifies as Neo-Nazism or not (probably does). Either way, he's racist as all fuck.

So yeah... Varg... good musician, horrible person. Do with that what you will.

I don't think I've ever had a proper understanding of the phrase "metal as fuck" until I did some reading on Mayhem. That Wikipedia page has to be the most metal thing I have ever read in my entire life.

Stay classy
MisterKrinkle
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Chef Krinkle

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:53 am

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby Revolving Royal » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:17 pm

I started listening to Velvet Revolver and I had no idea how bad Scott Weiland's drug addiction got.

He doesn't even look like the same person

Last edited by Revolving Royal on Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out" -Ray Bradbury

I am not “full of hate” as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine. ~Internet Wiseman
Revolving Royal
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lurker

Postby mancityfooty » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:59 pm

There are two things that are guaranteed to make me weep.
The short story "Song of the Silent Snow" by Hubert Selby Jr., and this:

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:06 pm

Everybody loves Notorious B.I.G. because of Juicy and Hypnotize or Warning and The What. How about the final track from Ready to Die?

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

PreviousNext