What you call guilty pleasure I call REGULAR pleasure

What do you listen to?

What you call guilty pleasure I call REGULAR pleasure

Postby Matthew Notch » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:59 pm

I'm almost 30, and I make no secret about my unabashed love for pop music. My favorite band of all time is Radiohead, my favorite song of all time is probably "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR, but most of the time I'll be found listening to the latest will.i.am or Ke$ha. Even that's not what I'm here to address.

I have a special love for emo music. Now understand, what my friends and I called "emo" in high school is very different from what's considered emo today. In my time we rocked to Jimmy Eat World, Saves the Day, and Sunny Day Real Estate. All that, though, is still probably too "whiny" for most music fans today. I don't even care. I have great love for a whiny chap who's deeply in touch with his emotions.

Mock me all you like, but you have a dirty secret too. No one will judge you for what you're about to post in this thread. Or if we do, we'll do it quietly and behind your back.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Re: What you call guilty pleasure I call REGULAR pleasure

Postby Dottoe » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:21 pm

I've never hidden my MCRmy status.

The only shameful music I can claim was that one song by Ke$ha, Die Young, I think it was? I'd look it up, but then I'd have to keep listening to it over and over again.

Living is the biggest 'screw you' you can give anyone. -Dante Shepard
Dottoe
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:22 pm

I edit erotic romance novels for a living. And frankly I really enjoy it, because my guilty pleasure since time immemorial has been trashy romance novels. Not that the authors I edit are trashy - I only take on authors who can construct a fascinating character and tell an absorbing story. Some of these ladies deserve to be a lot better known and respected than they are. But I sometimes yearn for the days of The Billionaire's Secret Baby. I have two literature degrees, but sometimes what I really want is candyfloss for the brain.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby jayman419 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:35 pm

I got MCR's Black Parade before anyone told me to hate it. And apparently I'm a Fallout Boy fan now, because I can't get "Light 'em up" out of my head.

But my guilty pleasure, the thing I do just for me, is Rise Against and the Offspring.

Even after all this time, the Sun never says to the Earth "You owe me".
Look what happens with a love like that... it lights the whole sky.
~Hafiz
jayman419
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Dottoe » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:37 pm

I love Rise Against! My current bedtime playlist is MCR's entire library, Rise Against's entire library, then a sprinkling of game music.

Living is the biggest 'screw you' you can give anyone. -Dante Shepard
Dottoe
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:40 pm

OrangeEyebrows wrote: I have two literature degrees, but sometimes what I really want is candyfloss for the brain.

Exactly! This is why I write a blog about pop music. Speaking of which, I need to get after that...

Dottoe, I maintain that "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" is one of the greatest records ever released, and "To The End" has one of the greatest juxtapositions of two guitar riffs of all time, starting at 00:11.

jayman419 wrote:And apparently I'm a Fallout Boy fan now, because I can't get "Light 'em up" out of my head.

You and me both, boss.

Last edited by Matthew Notch on Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby LaChaise » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:47 pm

I love anime music. Not all of it, but I found some really good things and listen to them without any shame.
Also, 80's music. All of it, or close to.

Not music related: I love eroges, those erotic japanese visual novels. I can spend days reading those. And, god, do I cry my eyes out sometimes.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby Typical Michael » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:15 am

Notch, are we the same person? Seriously, I am starting to get worried.

CCR is my favorite band. Classic rock band, at least. Me and my dad would play and sing those songs all day long. "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" is the ringtone I assign to my dad.

I hope you aren't calling CCR something I should feel guilty over, or else I will be forced to fight you.

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

Postby Polydactyl » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:03 am

Well, here goes:
I... I listen to Dubstep. I love the wubwubs and the waaAaaaaaAhs and the bwambwambwam. I sometimes put Bangarang on when I'm walking between classes, but I keep it real quiet on my headphones so no one else can hear. I'm... I'm so sorry. 

Have you seen a man with six fingers on his right hand?
Polydactyl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Science at its Finest

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:13 am

HAHA, you listen to dupstep! HAHA!

I mean, it's not like I have any dubstep songs I've made on my SoundCloud or anything...

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Polydactyl » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:22 am

JugularNotch wrote:HAHA, you listen to dupstep! HAHA!

I mean, it's not like I have any dubstep songs I've made on my SoundCloud or anything...

Hey! You said no judgement on this forum! I'm gonna report you so hard!

That's awesome. How do you make Dubstep? Are there programs for it? How do you decide what sounds good?

Have you seen a man with six fingers on his right hand?
Polydactyl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Science at its Finest

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:49 am

It's usually as simple as finding an acid bass sound, one that incorporates naturally grating harmonics, but not like distortion as it's presented in popular music. By setting a low pass filter on it and modulating the cutoff frequency, you can get that "wub" sound you're looking for. Also, if you listen to any James Blake, you'll know that sometimes it's as simple as playing a bass note that's ridiculously low, because the shape of the wave naturally sounds wobbly.

Once you figure out how preposterously easy it is to do dubstep, it's hard to enjoy unless somebody particularly skilled is doing it. But as much crap as that guy gets, I really feel like Skrillex is one of those skilled dudes. It helps that he has a musical background anyway.

Also, this whole debate is moot if we submit to the claims that true dubstep isn't so loud and grating, and that that type of music is more properly called "brostep" or something like that. I kiiiiind of don't care about that, though, and most folks who raise that bone of contention aren't folks I really want to go have a beer with anyway.

Wub on, sucka

Last edit by JugularNotch, 06:57 AM

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Robert » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:52 am

Reggeaton - delicious latino/hip-hop

Robert
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby AboveGL » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:27 am

I consider Kate Bush something of a guilty pleasure because she produces atypical pop. I'm working through her album The Kick Inside and I've got "James And The Cold Gun" on repeat.

On the subject of emo, I enjoy listening to Rites of Spring and the few songs I have by Sunny Day Real Estate and Cursive. If we're talking about modern emo, I like MCR's cover of Dylan's "Desolation Row". Someone mentioned Rise Against but I don't really consider them a guilty pleasure.

I really enjoy game soundtrack music. Sonic The Hedgehog is a big one.

Finally, I love Bellefire's cover of U2's "All I Want Is You".

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby OhJohnNo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:24 pm

My most listened to band - by a good 800 listens - is Linkin Park. The most listened to album, specifically, being Meteora, song being Numb.

I will maintain that they are a genuinely fucking awesome band and that all their albums are great. Even Minutes to Midnight, though that slightly less so. A Thousand Suns is one of the best things ever recorded.

Coldplay are quite high up there, too. Viva la Vida is an album that brings me utter joy. They're not as consistent as LP, though - X&Y and Mylo Xyloto mostly suck.

Also, while Nicki Minaj is usually quite boring and bad, "Beez in da Trap" and a select few of her other bizarre hip-hop songs are damn near perfect.

Don't underrate, appreciate
OhJohnNo
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Lord of the game

Next