AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Re: What you call guilty pleasure I call REGULAR pleasure

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:12 pm

I don't know if somebody did post it already, but for me:

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:40 pm

This song randomly came on in a store yesterday (I hadn't heard it in years), and I kind of like it (aside from the spelling mistakes in the lyrics):

Last edited by jbobsully11 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby gregfrankenstein » Mon May 19, 2014 10:37 pm

I guess I like this song now. Somewhere my ten-year-old self is kicking me in the shins.

gregfrankenstein
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Heightener of Fives

Postby Sybyll Adastra » Tue May 20, 2014 3:11 pm

I know a lot of people hate Death Cab for Cutie and think they're an emo staple but their music is so good and everyone seems to forget they used to be the Postal Service.

And yes, enough time has passed that I can admit it again, I still have a soft spot for MSI and MSI rip-off bands. I know it's musical feces (their words) and I don't care.

And yes even the rip-offs (their words) are good. Also seriously, my high school internet friend and now internet celeb made this and it's super cool.

Sybyll Adastra
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby AboveGL » Tue May 20, 2014 3:39 pm

Sybyll Adastra wrote:I know a lot of people hate Death Cab for Cutie and think they're an emo staple but their music is so good and everyone seems to forget they used to be the Postal Service.

I quite enjoy Soul Meets Body.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby 52xMax » Wed May 21, 2014 12:50 am

gregfrankenstein wrote:I guess I like this song now. Somewhere my ten-year-old self is kicking me in the shins.

I know exactly what you mean, Greg. When I was in High school, I hated Blink 182. Now when they play this in a bar or at a party, I... don't mind it that much. Sometimes I even sing along.

Sybyll Adastra wrote:I know a lot of people hate Death Cab for Cutie and think they're an emo staple but their music is so good and everyone seems to forget they used to be the Postal Service.

I'll always love this song. I don't care what anyone says.

Only Ben Gibbard (along with Jimmy Tamborello) was in the Postal Service, but that whole album is so good. I was a little disappointed with last year's reunion, not because I couldn't go to their show, but because they didn't release even one new song.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Tue May 27, 2014 1:30 pm

52xMax wrote:
gregfrankenstein wrote:I guess I like this song now. Somewhere my ten-year-old self is kicking me in the shins.

I know exactly what you mean, Greg. When I was in High school, I hated Blink 182. Now when they play this in a bar or at a party, I... don't mind it that much. Sometimes I even sing along.

FINALLY!!! Somebody there understands my feelings about That. Blink 182. Song! Sometimes I kick myself in the shins for it. It made me learn that trying to kick yourself in the shins is really hard, too.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby gregfrankenstein » Tue May 27, 2014 10:32 pm

52xMax wrote:I know exactly what you mean, Greg. When I was in High school, I hated Blink 182. Now when they play this in a bar or at a party, I... don't mind it that much. Sometimes I even sing along.

I was so relieved you didn't link to Feeling This.

gregfrankenstein
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Heightener of Fives

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:58 pm

I'm a big fan of Harry Belafonte.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:17 pm

Who hates Death Cab for Cutie? Bring them before me and SLAUGHTER THEM

But on the real, I have great love for those chaps. Then again, I've made it no secret that I have great love for emo in general. Just the other day I was listening to this song and was taken at how inventive the melodic line is.

Of course that record came before the Postal Service and getting married to Zoooooooooooooey Deschanel and all. Codes and Keys was a really unfortunate record because Benjamin Gibbard was writing happy songs... the nerve! Maybe the next record will be depressing again. One can only hope.

But seriously poor guy

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby JamishT » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:02 pm

Sometimes I listen to this. Over and over again.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:54 pm

I'm really not sure why I like the vocals to this song, but I do.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Matthew Notch » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:24 am

It's like you people don't even know what a guilty pleasure actually is. Except for Sully, I mean holy crap, Sugarland? Anyway, it's not like I have room to talk. After all, I have finally admitted to myself that I like this song...

Now before you guys stick it up my yeah about how awful this song is, I want to clarify a couple things: Fred Durst is the worst. Durst is worst. It's like Kate is great, except Durst is worst. I don't like this song because of Fred Durst's fantastic lyrics and clever delivery. I looked and looked for a version with a different aca over the instrumental of this song, but turns out a decent instrumental of "Nookie" doesn't exist. There was a version that was close, with "King of Rock" by Run-DMC over it, but they ended up just using the "Nookie" chorus as is in the mix, which confuzzles me.

Second thing is that the music is great. Just great. Don't argue with me because you will not win this one. DJ Lethal pulled a break from The Detroit Emeralds' "You're Getting a Little Too Smart" and stuck it in a nu-metal song. Wes Borland modified a baritone guitar, added a bass string to it, and used that to play the riff. For the most part, I don't think anyone denies the rest of Limp Bizkit's musical chops. It's just that darned Fred Durst.

And anyway, after a while those stupid lyrics and his insipid puffy coat dig into my brain and I decide that I like them too, and I have to go actually watch the video again to remind myself that no, I don't. But the fact that I have to keep reminding myself troubles me. It makes me feel a little guilty. ERGO, guilty pleasure.

Shut up.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby Bye Bye Denver Diva » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:27 am

I don't do "guilty pleasures", myself. It's usually completely arbitrary what's "cool" or not, anyway. If I like something I generally have a reason to, even if it's something as innocuous as "good hook, bro" or as confused as "it's fascinatingly bad" they're still reasons, right?

Don't upvote any of my comments, please. That shit's not for me.
Bye Bye Denver Diva
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Propagating Musical Supremacy

PreviousNext