No votes
Evanescence
No votes
Flyleaf
33%
In This Moment
No votes

Total votes : 3

Re: What is the best female fronted band?

Postby ghijkmnop » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:04 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:12 pm

My opinion is Blondie.

I've thought about this for no real reason over a few days on and off and that's the conclusion I reached. I must be old and out of touch because I've only heard of two bands in the poll.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Pedgerow » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:45 pm

I've heard of Fleetwood Mac, but I wouldn't say they were exclusively female-fronted. I'm an expert in them; ask me anything. Their name has "Mac" in it because all the members are Scottish, and they all wore kilts. Their biggest hit was that song about walking 500 miles, although personally I have always preferred the very greatest Fleetwood Mac song, Donald, Where's Your Troosers?

On a more serious note, The Bangles. The Bangles the Bangles the Bangles the Bangles. The Bangles.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby ghijkmnop » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:47 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby 52xMax » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:30 am

If we're talking active bands, admittedly there's not a lot of musical acts that are not presented as "solo" artists who are often really the work of hundreds of producers and people behind the scenes, though even then there's a few of them doing good work such as LP, Lorde, SIA and Grimes.

A bunch of "proper" bands from recent times have already been mentioned, among them Garbage which is one of my all time favorite bands. I don't think anyone here mentioned either Cranberries or No Doubt, though. That needs to be fixed. During the 90s there seemed to be more women front and center, with acts like Hole, Bjork, Portishead, PJ Harvey and Sheryl Crow, but there were also influential female musicians outside the spotlight, such as with Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins and Sonic Youth. I'd like to see more of that.

And then of course there's the big acts from rock, punk and metal (Heart, Fleetwood, Blondie, Siouxsie, Pretenders, Runaways), I think you're also forgetting ABBA and the Carpenters. You could go further back to Aretha Franklin, Janis Joplin, the Supremes, etc. though I don't know if any of them qualify as bands, but they certainly deserve a spot among the greatest singers.

If this is strictly about rock/metal, I'd go for Tarja's era on Nightwish above any of the options listed. Halestorm is alright, though.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby cmsellers » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:52 am

If we're including solo artists, my favorite mainstream female musician is Mary Chapin Carpenter. (My absolute favorite is Susan Werner, but I've brought her up many times and have a hard time selling other people on her.) If we're including soloists but only considering female musicians who could be considered as rock musicians, it's Lucinda Williams.

Mary Chapin Carpenter — "He Thinks He'll Keep Her"

Lucinda Williams — "Six Blocks Away"

Also, one more try: Susan Werner — "Kicking the Beehive"

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:03 pm

52xMax wrote:You could go further back to Aretha Franklin, Janis Joplin, the Supremes, etc. though I don't know if any of them qualify as bands, but they certainly deserve a spot among the greatest singers.

If this is strictly about rock/metal, I'd go for Tarja's era on Nightwish above any of the options listed. Halestorm is alright, though.

Idk about Aretha but Big Brother and The Holding Company is definitely a band according to my parents LPs.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:02 pm

While my official position about there being a "best" of anything so inherently impossible to compare usefully as bands remains unchanged, I will at least give a mention to Warpaint. They haven't been brought up yet and I think they deserve to be. There is a lot to like about their music, despite the execution often being pretty rough around the edges. When more than two of the girls are required to sing in harmony, it's usually jarring - for example. The awesome and inventive composition and pacing of their music can be harmed really badly by that lack of polish at times, but it's still there.
More than anything, they have great energy as a live act, which is owed largely to drummer Stella Mozgawa and bassist Jenny Lee Lindberg. Though it qualifies for the thread as a female fronted band, Warpaint is enjoyable mostly for the rhythm elements. That's nothing against the other two members, but Stella and Jenny account for approximately 80% of the reason I listen.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby gisambards » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:44 pm

Someone already mentioned them, but I completely forgot when I posted earlier that Portishead is one of my favourite bands as well.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DanteHoratio » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:42 am

ghijkmnop wrote:I find it difficult to believe that you have never heard a Heart song.

Barracuda has been in at least a dozen movies and TV shows, including Shrek 3 and the Sopranos.

I heard of Barracuda. Just never knew who did it.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Let's get dangerous

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:18 am

Martha and the Vandellas? The Supremes? Why don't you have any love for motown?

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:26 pm

Having just listened to Portishead - Roseland NYC. I have to say my favourite female fronted band, neh my favourite band, is Portishead. They have a very psychadelic sound on the album and the background orchestra is just sublime.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Previous