Stephen King's IT (2017)

What have you been watching?

Stephen King's IT (2017)

Postby KleinerKiller » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:21 pm

We finally have a trailer for the new IT movie.

The only thing I'm not sold on is the "you'll float too" bit at the end, which comes off poorly and seems ripped from a zero-budget January horror movie in execution. Otherwise, this actually looks genuinely terrifying in a way I didn't expect this remake to be, and it might be one of the few King adaptations that gets it right. Still waiting on my From a Buick 8 movie, but you take what you can get.

Also, a lot of people seem to be upset because this version of Pennywise isn't a 1:1 replica of Tim Curry's version, but I'm guessing those people didn't read the book, because this one seems much more faithful to the source material (with the centuries-old clothing and more hypnotic demeanor).

controversial opinion
And frankly, I always thought Curry's performance was overrated.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Re: Stephen King's IT (2017)

Postby Australia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:19 pm

Eh, I've already seen It and liked It. I'm more excited for The Dark Tower. I have three King adaptations in my top 10 movies of all time. Can't make It four unfourtunately, because on the off-chance one of them squeaks into the set-in-reasonably-dry-cement list, It'll kick The Shining off tenth place.

Hopefully, It is a continuation in a '27 years later, Pennywise has returned' kind of sequel, which makes sense in the lore, even if we've overshot the timeline somewhat in real time, because I don't want to just see the same movie again when I could just watch the DVD I already own.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:55 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby JamishT » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:26 am

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:

Yeah, I read the book without having seen the movie, and that scene made me way more uncomfortable than the rest of the story.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:23 am

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:

That bit is a good reason why if you ever want to create something, you need someone standing nearby with a rolled up newspaper willing to thwack you and tell you 'no' when you're doing some stupid shit. First time I read that book, I think my thought process was like "Damn, this story is dop--Wait. Wait, what's happening? They're...This is--This is happening. This is happening right now. What the fuck, Stephen King?"

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby reallifegirl » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:06 am

Yeah, that sewer orgy. That...that is definitely something that happened, for some reason, and yet is wisely not spoken of, for the most part.

(Also, seriously, what 11 year old girl is like LET ME GUIDE YOU OUT OF THE SEWERS WITH THE POWER OF GANGBANG)

I don't know if this is unique to Stephen King or what, but it's funny how all of the best adaptations of his work are faithful to the general premise of what he did while also, at various points, being willing to say 'Fuck Off' and go wildly off-course to make a better movie.

Spoiler: show
My favorite example being the brutal ending to The Mist.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:45 pm

KleinerKiller wrote:We finally have a trailer for the new IT movie.

The only thing I'm not sold on is the "you'll float too" bit at the end, which comes off poorly and seems ripped from a zero-budget January horror movie in execution. Otherwise, this actually looks genuinely terrifying in a way I didn't expect this remake to be, and it might be one of the few King adaptations that gets it right. Still waiting on my From a Buick 8 movie, but you take what you can get.

Also, a lot of people seem to be upset because this version of Pennywise isn't a 1:1 replica of Tim Curry's version, but I'm guessing those people didn't read the book, because this one seems much more faithful to the source material (with the centuries-old clothing and more hypnotic demeanor).

controversial opinion
And frankly, I always thought Curry's performance was overrated.

I probably should've spoke to this earlier, but I will say that I hope Pennywise is still kinda funny. Because that was one aspect I think Tim Curry nailed, being able to swing between funny/genial/disarming to incredibly creepy and dangerous at the drop of a hat. He'd' have an almost Tarantino-ish situation where he's holding a conversation with a kid, and you're like "this is actually kinda funny" and then you slowly realize that it's about killing time, and things get scary. This one seems like it's playing up the more Lovecraftian elements of Pennywise's character. Might've been better if I heard Pennywise actually speak in this trailer.

Either way, though, I know I've mentioned to my father more than once that "It" was the horror property that was most due for a good modern movie, and I'm glad to see that I'm a little prescient on that front. Although I guess if you give it enough time, they'll remake everything, but I note that of King's works, they went for "It" first after the lull since the Mist.

Point I'm really getting at is: I can't wait to see the fuck out of this movie, and as a general rule I hate horror movies.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:53 pm

I just want to point out that when IT was written, Stephen King was coked the fuck up. He doesn't even remember writing Cujo. As for that, erm, scene let's hear what he has to say about it now:

I wasn't really thinking of the sexual aspect of it. The book dealt with childhood and adulthood --1958 and Grown Ups. The grown ups don't remember their childhood. None of us remember what we did as children--we think we do, but we don't remember it as it really happened. Intuitively, the Losers knew they had to be together again. The sexual act connected childhood and adulthood. It's another version of the glass tunnel that connects the children's library and the adult library. Times have changed since I wrote that scene and there is now more sensitivity to those issues.

When I read IT, I was in 6th grade. To me, the aforementioned scene wasn't odd at the time. I had friends who were having sex and I was like, whatev. It separated childhood from adulthood in my brain at the time. As an adult now, it's skeevy to me but more I'm like, "Damn it, Bev, there's more that you can offer then yourself. Women aren't just magic by their virginity."

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:55 pm

sunglasses wrote:"Women aren't just magic by their virginity."

Indeed. There are also boobs.

I think I was about....15 or 16 when I read it? My parents had this big Stephen King book collection where they were one of those old school book collections where the books were all red and had the same gold font on the spine. I just over a couple months or so read "It", "The Stand", "Pet Semetary", "The Shining", and "Cujo". I definitely thought that scene was weird as shit, even back then, and of all those books, that's the one scene that made me go "WTF" the most.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:21 pm

sunglasses wrote:I just want to point out that when IT was written, Stephen King was coked the fuck up. He doesn't even remember writing Cujo.

And yet, Cujo doesn't have a child orgy. It's funny, a lot of people know that he was so out of it when he wrote that book that he doesn't remember writing it. And yet, it's not at all incoherent or confusing. It's actually tightly plotted and more down to earth than an average Stephen King book.

And yeah, that scene was... his explanation doesn't satisfy me. If anyone read Gerald's Game, there's a scene in it where a little girl is molested by her father. And that's absolutely excruciating to read. But that was necessary for the plot. The gangbang in It always felt totally gratuitous to me. I mean, come on, "coming of age" is a very popular trope, and most works manage to depict it without a child orgy.

Doodle Dee. Snickers wrote:That bit is a good reason why if you ever want to create something, you need someone standing nearby with a rolled up newspaper willing to thwack you and tell you 'no' when you're doing some stupid shit.

King wrote about how his editor convinced him to change a scene in Salem's Lot because it was too disgusting (not in a sexual way, though). I guess by It, he became so successful that his editors didn't dare to say things like that.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:32 pm

The biggest question, of course, is will they still try to make balloons scary? Stephen king isn't exactly on the same level as Vince Gilligan in the "making gut-wrenching drama out of the most mundane, everyday object" department.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:51 pm

Didn't you watch the teaser? At one point, a balloon floats through a classroom while an ominous sound can be heard.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:44 pm

Sorry to disagree with you, but if I saw a random ass balloon that no one else could see that might randomly burst into a shower of blood or insects-I'm gonna be creeped the hell out.

I mean, they aren't *really* balloons. It's like Gozer/Stay Puft. Sure, Gozer took the form of Stay Puft but he wasn't actually a benign marshmallow man. He was an evil giant marshmallow man.

So these aren't regular static causing balloons that might pop and make you jump-these are EVIL balloons that might pop and have some flesh eating monstrosity behind them and make you question your own sanity.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:27 am

With the advances in CGI technology, they have no excuse if they fuck up the scene where the Losers see It's arrival in prehistoric times after duplicating a sort of Vision Quest that native peoples used to do.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby mancityfooty » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:20 am

sunglasses wrote:
When I read IT, I was in 6th grade. To me, the aforementioned scene wasn't odd at the time. I had friends who were having sex and I was like, whatev.

Yep, I got it in fifth grade after I found his book of the four short stories (the one with the Long Walk) on the floor between classes. But I don't think I've read It since I graduated high school.

BROWNRECLUSE wrote:With the advances in CGI technology, they have no excuse if they fuck up the scene where the Losers see It's arrival in prehistoric times after duplicating a sort of Vision Quest that native peoples used to do.

Yes. So much yes.

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Next