So, what are you watching?

What have you been watching?

Re: So, what are you watching?

Postby ghijkmnop » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:49 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:52 am

Yona of The Dawn. It's a shoujo fantasy adventure animeset in a fantasy version of 10th century Korea.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:40 am

Aquila89 wrote:I recently watched the Adam Sandler movie Grown Ups about halfway through, purely from morbid curiosity. It was actually fascinating in a way.... I was kind of amazed. This is a movie? Really?

I gave you a thumb even though I disagree with you! Honestly I saw it at the drive-in and it was the third feature that started at like 23:00, so that might have contributed to my goodwill toward it, but I was sort of tickled that a film with relatively little conflict or tension just kind of happily existed. It felt a little like the early Turble Shows, when we got four people in a virtual room and just sort of bounced off each other hoping to make some sparks. It doesn't always land but when it does it's real nice.

JamishT wrote:GLOW was fun over all, and a good first season. It introduced all the characters, but left a lot for future episodes to explore. It stars Allison Brie who I know is supposed to be like super duper babe status, but I just don't get it...not that that has anything to do with the show or her acting.

I gave you a thumb even though I disagree with you! Now start worshipping Alison Brie like a rational human person should.

Me, I watched an anime. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT I know but it was actually pretty great. You'll make fun of me when I tell you what it is... it's called Your Lie In April and it's about a piano playing prodigy who has mental trauma because of abuse at his mother's hands and then her subsequent illness and death, and how he comes to terms with that while at the same time falling for a free-spirited violinist who is also a prodigy but is also sick. I knew how it would end--come on, you probably already know--but it still surprised me how hard I took it.

I think it's because the person who recommended it is our new singer, and she's only 19 but has already had cancer and diabetes and has been through a whole lot of garbage. I couldn't stop thinking about her and how sad we all would have been if we'd never gotten to meet her, even though we would never have been aware of her existence because she only started hanging out with us about a year ago. I also thought a lot about my dad and our relationship when I was watching how the show dealt with Arima's relationship with his mother. And it probably goes without saying that a show about musical geniuses would have some incredible classical renditions, including what may be my favorite performance of a Saint-Saens piece ever.

Man, that's a lot to unpack from watching a Chinese cartoon. I don't think I'm going to become an anime fan anytime soon, but I might have a more open mind in the future.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:54 pm

Ah, Your Lie In April. Great show, but I couldn't exactly finish it because
Spoiler: show
watching a 14 year old girl die of what's hinted to be either ALS or PMD isn't exactly my forte.

Last edited by Deathclaw_Puncher on Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:45 pm

Release the Hounds. A crappy English game show where people get licked to death by dogs.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:12 am

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:Ah, Your Lie In April. Great show, but I couldn't exactly finish it because
Spoiler: show
watching a 14 year old girl die of what's hinted to be either ALS or PMD isn't exactly my forte.

I see what you did there

Last edited by Matthew Notch on Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:30 am

Finished iZombie and have moved on to Stranger Things.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:03 am

Doodle Dee. Snickers wrote:Finished iZombie and have moved on to Stranger Things.

Did you like iZombie? I thought it was great.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:10 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:
Doodle Dee. Snickers wrote:Finished iZombie and have moved on to Stranger Things.

Did you like iZombie? I thought it was great.

It was definitely better than all the other dumb shit on CW.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:11 pm

I'm watching...
YOU!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby reallifegirl » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:00 pm

Been binging the show Versailles, which is allegedly about the King of France's court in the late 1600s, but to me is really just "dudes with long hair having sex and trying to kill each other".

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby SandTea » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:46 am

Killjoys and Dark Matter. Reminds me of old sci-fi fun.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:26 pm

I made it through an episode and a half of Once Upon a Time. Turned it off when the evil queen from Snow White kicked the shit out of some rando older blond woman who was apparently Maleficent.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:47 pm

Alternating between Rick and Morty which I've finished 3 whole episodes of, I know, I know it's 2017 and watching speedruns of some of my favorite NES and SNES games.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Pseudoman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:06 am

Recently I've finished watching Tsuki Ga Kirei (as the moon, so beautiful but has too many syllables so sticking to the Japanese name). It's a show about two awkward middle-schoolers finding their first love... and neither them know what to do. The main couple are quite unique as I can't remember another show or movie, where both the male and female leads were awkward shy people. Usually the other is a loud boisterous manic type, so it was a nice change of pace and makes the show stand out by having the couple not really stand out, so I guess this makes it some sort of hipster romance?

It's not a particularly groundbreaking show but a very well executed one. Drama is to the point and is usually resolved within an episode. The characters although can be guilty of cliches, they manage to be both likable and as well as having natural interactions with the cast. After the credits of some episodes there are a handful of skits that range from humorous to right down hilarious. The ending itself is defiantly satisfying, albeit feels cut short although how the ending plays out ties up the series in a very nice bow. The series also has a solid dub.

The show was directed by Seiji Kishi who is quickly becoming one of my favorite anime directors, his delivery of comedy seems to be always on point, handles large casts quite well and haven't watched a series of his that was unsatisfying, sometimes the series maybe disappointing (Re_Hamatora) or completely lackluster (Danganronpa). Yet I've only seen 4 series of his filmography both Ranpo Kitan and Classroom of the Elites are on my to-do list.

So yeah, this show took me for a surprise, defiantly recommend to anyone who's looking for a romance series.
I guess for people who care about arbitrary numbers I give the series an 8/10.

In the defense of Nazi's they do have a good sense of fashion.
Pseudoman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

PreviousNext