So, what are you watching?

What have you been watching?

Re: So, what are you watching?

Postby 52xMax » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:46 am

I just started season 2 of the Man in the High Castle and it's got much better pacing than the first one, which might be due to starting to depart from the novel and exploring more of the dystopian world where it takes place. I'm also 4 episodes deep into Sneaky Pete and that one is prrtty good too. I figure once I'm done I might as well start watching all the other Amazon shows which look promising, such as Transparent, Mozart in the Jungle and Hand of God.

I don't really do the cuddling in front of the TV with the girlfriend much, she's not really the kind to watch a lot of television, and I already drag her down to the movies 2-3 times a month, but she tries to keep up with Jane the Virgin, the Flash and Supergirl when I'm watching, so I figure I owe a shout out to the CW at the very least.
It was easier to persuade her to watch Gilmore Girls (I know, it's usually the other way around. Shut up) but once we finished season 7 and A Year in the Life she didn't want it to be over. So now we moved on to How I Met Your Mother and are halfway through season 2. So far so good, and I was surprised to realize there were so many classic episodes so early in the show. Highly rewatchable.

I've also been slowly making my way through the award season buzz movies. Last week I saw Hacksaw Ridge, Hidden Figures and Captain Fantastic. Lion, Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea are next, and then I'm dragging the girlfriend to see La La Land once it's in a theatre near me. And I saw that movie about the Great Wall, which despite being panned by the critics, I found surprisingly entertaining.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Marcuse » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:37 am

I've just watched series one of The Bridge, a Danish/Swedish crime drama based on the Oresund Bridge, connecting Copenhagen and Malmo. The premise is that a body is dumped exactly on the borderline between Sweden and Denmark so a combined policing group is arranged to investigate, which quickly directs us to the two leads. Martin Rohde is a laid back family man, and Saga Noren is a highly strung pseudo-autistic detective with few people skills.

It makes for some interesting watching, and I was engaged with the show for the most part and I particularly liked the characters. Martin was, despite his flaws, one of the most human leads I've seen in a show for a long time. Interactions with his son in particular felt natural and humorous. Buuut...

Spoiler: show
It baffles me why the show made some decisions. For whatever reason Denmark is portrayed by the show as a complete shithole, with corrupt or selfish cops, racial tensions, and crime. Sweden isn't lionised per se, but by comparison appears to be more tolerant, more integrated and more honest. One quirk of the show's lead means that at times this opinion is outright stated. It seems a strange thing to overbalance the situation like it does.

The other decision I found baffling was the choice to write plots threatening children in episodes 7 and 9, but have no stomach for following through on it. It was clear that there was no threat there, and it really took me out of the show to find the ending so predictable based on that information alone. The people who die are the ones it's acceptable to have die on a TV show. I just don't get why they felt the need to write that in twice if they had no way of actually following it through.

The ending also really failed to tie up any of the surrounding plotlines at all. We basically focus entirely on one character and their loss at the end, and even that's stunted because we never actually see what happens to the person they lose. We're left in the dark until the very end because it's kept for a fakeout, and then we never go back to see it. It's almost like they forgot to make sure we knew what had happened because they were so desperate to convey one character's feelings. They did that well enough, but given how predictable it was, it fell flatter than it should have for me.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby TheSyrupNugget » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:36 pm

Most recently, Riverdale.

On the one hand, Archie just isn't supposed to have an eight pack, I'm reasonably certain that Ms. Grundy actually was supposed to be an eighty year old woman on the show and Sarah Habel is just the CW's idea of what an elderly woman looks like ("34, 74, who'll know the difference? She still popped Archie's cherry."), and the show occupies the uncomfortable middle ground of not quite being outstandingly good or outstandingly horrible enough to hate-watch.

On the other hand, it's barely been on a month and they've managed to find excuses to put Camila Mendes in a cheerleader outfit, a one-piece bikini, and what can only be described as a pussycat singlet, last episode. I want to see how implausibly far they manage to stretch the fanservice...

...You know, for science.

TheSyrupNugget
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep
Title: Nugget of Syrup

Postby Aquila89 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:35 am

I recently watched the Adam Sandler movie Grown Ups about halfway through, purely from morbid curiosity. It was actually fascinating in a way. There's no plot to speak of. The characters gather in a cottage near the lake, hang out, do stupid things and tell stupid jokes, which are less funny than the ones you'd hear at an average family gathering. I laughed once, at a moment that was supposed to be touching. Yet, I was not really angry or annoyed; I was kind of amazed. This is a movie? Really?

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Instead ofWhile working on endless dumbass assignments, I've been bingewatching "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.", as in the TV series.

Holy hell, is it glorious. I'd forgotten how much I love finely aged ham and cheese.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:30 pm

I'm watching the new Samurai Jack and it's really good. The tone is much darker and the episodes are more cinematic.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby ghijkmnop » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:31 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby cmsellers » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:38 pm

ghijkmnop wrote:Cathy and I are just trying to stay caught up with the DVR stuff, because in about 5 months, we're joining the ranks of cord cutters and won't have access to certain things anymore.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Typical Michael » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:49 am

I watched all 2 seasons of Fuller House.

It isn't terrible, it is going mostly on nostalgia, and knows it. Some genuinely funny innuendo. John Stamos is basically ignoring the laws of time, and keeps getting better-looking.

On a side-note, if anybody has Jodie Sweetin's phone number, I would be curious to know what she is doing for dinner next Friday night.

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

Postby Delta Jim » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:35 am

Typical Michael wrote:John Stamos is basically ignoring the laws of time, and keeps getting better-looking.

Everyone knows John Stamos is a vampire.

Delta Jim
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Not Very Notable

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:56 am

Watching iZombie and wondering what I haven't watched this show before.

Probably because it's about zombies. But it's a damn good show.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:25 pm

iZombie rocksorz!!!

I'm currently watching "Tonight She Comes" and it is weird. It also has a lot of blood, not violence but blood.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:21 pm

We're watching the third season of iZombie, which I think is the best so far. The D&D episode is hilarious.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby JamishT » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:04 pm

In the past week, I have watched "Friends From College" and "GLOW", both Netflix Originals. FFC is okay, I can see it really hitting a stride and becoming something in future seasons, but I can also see it sputtering into nothing. I did appreciate how it wasn't just FUNNYFUNNYFUNNY, but was pretty frickin' serious at times in the middle of ridiculousness.
GLOW was fun over all, and a good first season. It introduced all the characters, but left a lot for future episodes to explore. It stars Allison Brie who I know is supposed to be like super duper babe status, but I just don't get it...not that that has anything to do with the show or her acting.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:16 am

I'm watching your wife. Through the window. Through. The. Window.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext