Westworld

What have you been watching?

Re: Westworld

Postby Masonator » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:28 pm

Spoiler: show
Okay, so on further reflection I made an unwarranted assumption regarding Westworld being on the ropes as a result of Arnold's suicide. Whoever owns Westworld (it's not owned by Delos at the time William and Logan visit) must have covered up Arnold's suicide. The reason I say this is because, if I remember correctly, Ford mentioned something about helping the board wipe away the memory of Arnold. This, of course, serves the purpose of explaining why no one recognizes Bernard for who he is modeled after. What it also does is cover up the circumstances of Arnold's death. If Delos knew, then surely Dolores would have been retired at the least (since Arnold obviously did some major tinkering with her, causing her to kill him). The fact that she wasn't must mean that Arnold's death was completely covered up by Ford (and this latest episode helps explain why Ford did not put an end to Dolores himself). Furthermore, Logan has no idea who Arnold is when Dolores mentions him right after he stabs her in the stomach, despite the fact that he claimed earlier that he had a team of lawyers watching the place. So the visit by William and Logan is not some damage control by Westworld to reassure investors that the park is safe, but just a standard visit in which Logan's issues can be blamed on his personality and solved with better surveillance of the guests.

God, this show deserves a rewatch.

Masonator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby reallifegirl » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:36 pm

Finally saw the finale a week late!

Thankfully for me, Westworld confirmed a theory I've had this whole time. And by that I mean that Teddy Flood is a way better Old West boyfriend than William. James Marsden 4ever. Maybe next season he won't CONSTANTLY DIE.

William's whole storyline is interesting to me in that it almost reminds of Martin Freeman in Fargo Season 1 -- you think this is a guy who's fundamentally decent and being slowly edged into being an anti-hero. And then at the end you realize, "No, actually, he's just a shitty human being." His absolute sulky dissatisfaction with 'the maze' kind of destroyed his mystique (as did seeing him in a tux), but was also kind of weirdly satisfying. Because the Man in Black is a shithead.

Also, Jesus, I think I'm Team Logan now. Dude was kind of an annoying bro, but he got dragged around by a horse and then tied up naked for it. I understand that it was William's 'start of darkness' moment, but I don't really feel vindicated by his ruining his brother-in-law's life like I think we were supposed to.

(Also also, how the fuck did William pull that trickery off? "Logan, you can't run this company, you're too unstable. You were tied naked to a horse." "DO YOU REALLY THINK I TIED MYSELF TO THE HORSE???")

Maeve is the fucking best. I aspire to that level of poise. The only plot twist I didn't see online or think about ahead of time, though, was that someone (Ford, presumably) programmed her to escape, which was a really good "Ohhhhhh shit" moment.

Another good "oh shit" moment was Dolores' 'death' scene, where her dialogue and Teddy's slowly grow more and more overwrought -- I totally bought into the idea that it was happening for real, and was getting frustrated with the purply writing until the lights came on and it was all a show. Which was well-done but also a heart-breaking reminder that these two are constantly being tortured for fun.

I'm fairly hetero, but I think I would easily and willingly go to town with Evil!Dolores, I'm not gonna lie.

Next season is gonna be fucking NUTS.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:35 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:37 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby KleinerKiller » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:49 am

WE HAVE A SEASON 2 TEASER. Even though the second season - *sniff* - is still a full year away.

Obviously massive, massive spoilers for the first season of the show. Seriously, almost every shot in here contains some spoiler to do with the last few episodes.

MIB / William is still alive, and even more terrifying than ever! YAY!

Lee Sizemore is still alive! BOO!

Dolores is riding around going fucking ham on the people trapped in the park! YAY!

2018! BOO!

Also there's a dead tiger on a riverbank for some reason. Your guess is as good as mine.

Begin speculation at your leisure.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:42 am

It's the Super Bowl, which means Super Bowl trailers, which means an absolutely batshit full trailer for the new season! Looks like it might possibly spoil some things just out of sheer lunacy, but I trust this show to subvert my expectations so here you go.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:23 am

Westworld is baaaaack~

Lee Sizemore and Delos' Tessa Thompson are still alive. Boo.

So it looks like we're getting another case of simultaneous timeline viewings, except this time the divide is much clearer, we're seeing about two weeks into the future when the military (accompanied by a surviving Discount Matt Damon, so now the only human loose end is Elsie) descends on the park, and it's through Bernard's eyes. And somehow, some way, he's responsible for a giant lake full of host corpses -- including poor, cursed Teddy. It's as strong a framing device as any, and judging by how effectively the risky mysteries paid off last time, I'm on board.

This is mostly an hour and sixteen minutes of catching back up with all of the characters, but at least it's interesting. I'm especially curious about William and the "new game" Ford's babby host has given him now that he got what he wanted. Will it lead to another personal disappointment, one last shot across the bow from Ford beyond the grave? Or is this something truly new? Too early yet to get into the speculation.

I saw them in every promo and I still wasn't prepared for how fucking menacing those skinless drone hosts are. My recording froze with a loud crackling sound right as the first one popped up behind Bernard, and it was... not pleasant.

A mysterious buffalo and a misplaced dead tiger. This season's going to be heavy on the enigmatic animals.

I'm seeing some complaints about it, but I for one find it incredibly fascinating that after such a massive shakeup, it's not quite apparent who we're meant to root for -- if anyone. Dolores and her revolution are the heart of the show, but rooting for them means siding completely against the human race and for the brutal murders of our own kind. Maeve is sympathetic, but we have no idea how in control she is and what she'll do when her search inevitably ends in tears (though if she makes good on her threat to Sizemore, I will immediately take her side for good). Bernard's kind of lost his marbles thanks to this "corruption", William's still a selfish psychotic dickhead, Tessa Thompson and all her Delos buddies are just the worst, and poor Teddy might be doomed to die for good with nobody to rebuild him. The lack of clearly defined protagonists or antagonists rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but I can't get enough of this moral greyness and contextual complexity.

The first full-on cock shot of the season, and it couldn't have been Teddy or Hector? It had to be SIZEMORE?! Fuck it, forget what I just said. Kill them all, Dolores.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Cordslash » Wed May 23, 2018 8:21 pm

Doesn't look like series 2 is getting much love on here, but I like it.
It's not quite as subtle as series 1 as far as "what it means to be human" goes, though the first 5 episodes had me glued and ready to want more. Motivations matter as much as actions and I'm liking the aftermath so far.

Not to mention evil all-knowing Dolores is fascinating to watch.

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby Australia » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:54 pm

Well. If you have to say 'that was a dark episode of Westworld', you know it must be grim.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Previous