New Season Of Red Dwarf

What have you been watching?

New Season Of Red Dwarf

Postby D-LOGAN » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:16 pm

Hey.

Eh so, long time TV/Movies section reader, first time new thread poster. So, eh, I guess it makes sense to start at the beginning, so that's what I'll do. For most of my life my favourite television programe has been 'Red Dwarf', the British Science-Fiction Situation-Comedy, or sci-fi-sit-com as the kids do be calling them.

I can still remember how I became acquainted with the series. I must've been younger than 12, so I'd probably have been 11, and it was one of those shows you only ever caught the end of and was like "hmmmm that looked good, whatever the hell that was. I must remember to watch that next week", but of course I never remembered and if I was lucky I'd manage to stumble upon half an episode, before the series ended. And since I didn't have a fecking clue what it was about (this was before the internet remember, if you didn't get it, you didn't get it, and that was it baby) so I probably would have moved on and forgotten about it.

Fortunately however fortune smiled upon me and the BBC in their infinite wisdom decided to replay the entire series from scratch every Friday at 9.00 on BBC 2, which allowed me to have all my questioned answered like why did that lanky dude have an 'H' on his forehead or why does that robot dude look like a robot (turns out it was because he was a robot).

That was my night baby. 9.00, on Fridays. Me aul fella always happened to treat us to chipper food at that time, a bag of chips, a chicken curry pie and a chocolate milkshake was my particular poison. And so it was my love affair with the series began.

I built most of my world view on this show. My love of the noble art of writing was birthed from the wonder I took in how it's creators came up with this sh*t. And I really had the hots for the chick who played Kochanski.

If it wasn't for this show I have no doubt I would've ended up naked and squishy and dead at the bottom of a ditch surrounded by inside-out hobos, dripping with my own crapulance with nerry a soul to mourn me.
Or, I dunno maybe I'd've become an accountant and got married or something.

Anywho, I am who I am, and I think a lot of that's down to my love of this series.

And now, tonight, at 9.00 on the 22nd of February, in the year of our Lord two thousand and sixteen, almost 28 years to the day of it's original broadcast, a new season begins.

Season ... I dunno, x i it's listed as, I don't do Roman numerals. The tenth one probably.

Now I know it's probably unknown to most of you outside the British Isles (yeah I can call them the British Isles, I'm secure, that's what they're called), but none the less, I felt it appropriate to share my feelings about this moment with you all, because .... well ....

Look, I know this is gonna sound kinda mushy and whatnot, but what can I say over the years of logging on here, I've trully come to think of you all as well, casual acquaintances I occasional talk to over the internet.

And I mean that, from the bottom of my heart.

So here it goes, roll on 9.00 and to hell with my low-carb diet, I'm gettin' me chips and a chicken curry pie, I CAN HAVE A CHEAT DAY!

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Re: New Season Of Red Dwarf

Postby sunglasses » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:34 pm

February 22nd, eh?

Welp, time for a beer milkshake.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby mancityfooty » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:55 pm

I caught some episodes before I went to Wales, no idea where. Comedy central? I know that's where I was introduced to the League of Gentleman and the Fast show. They didn't play them in any order, so for the longest time I thought The Cat was a vampire. I mean, he had the teeth and everything and I'm fairly certain he was in a cape at some point so there you go.
I finally saw them in order and found out he was a cat. Then it made a little more sense.

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby D-LOGAN » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:12 pm

sunglasses wrote:February 22nd, eh?

Welp, time for a beer milkshake.

Meh, close enough.

(Sometimes when I catch mistakes after I've hit submit I feel correcting them is an act of cowardice and deception, YOU DON'T GET SECOND CHANCES IN REAL LIFE, why should you in cyber-space? Let the world see and judge you, it's earned that right ... and other times I just edit. I'm a man of many whims)

mancityfooty wrote:They didn't play them in any order, so for the longest time I thought The Cat was a vampire. I mean, he had the teeth and everything and I'm fairly certain he was in a cape at some point so there you go.
I finally saw them in order and found out he was a cat. Then it made a little more sense.

I've heard that before, personally I never even questioned it, I was more into how the computer got from a dude to a chick.

Man, wikipedia really came and robbed that sense of wonder, in that it just tells you the answers. Pretty much why I stopped collecting comics and playing video games, I can just the get the whole story in a little easily digestable bite.

Meh, onwards and upwards.

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Australia » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:28 pm

The ringtone on my first Nokia phone was the Red Dwarf theme (got it from back of magazine that from then on kept stealing my phone credit and sending me more ringtones I didn't want), my friends and I would use the word 'smeg' at school to avoid getting in trouble (we still constantly got in trouble but for non-indecent-language related reasons), I've made quite a few obscure Red Dwarf references on this forum (not as frequently as Simpsons or Scrubs but there's less episodes so less references I guess. I'm sure Ace gets brought up during every Bond discussion and that CSI scene from the Back to Earth special whenever forensics mumbo-jumbo comes up) and I bought this shirt:
Handsome Mofo Alert.jpg
Handsome Mofo Alert.jpg (40.56 KiB) Viewed 3610 times

(photo taken at Venice Boardwalk, where a guy literally ran out of his house from his balcony and asked to take a picture. I assumed he was a Red Dwarf fan but he didn't get the reference and in fact just got a kick out of a completely out of context quote.)

But would I go as far as saying I'm a fan of the show? Let's not get crazy.

I didn't get too many laughs during this episode. Maybe I've matured but I think we all know how likely that is. It was still fun to see the crew back together but I prefer the episodes that take place in the ship. The only episode I remember from last season is the Father's Day one so maybe it's just a matter of the show losing its magic a little. It's not like I hated it. It was just kind of fine. I got more laughs from another new series that came out this week*. I've always been a fan of space fiction (probably why Guardians is my favourite Marvel movie and Galaxy Quest is so high on my list of comedies) so this show could go on forever and I wouldn't complain. I just hope it doesn't go all Doctor Who and start setting all its episodes on Earth. I watch this show to get off this smeg-forsaken planet, dammit!

*And that show is so original, it could literally have the opening theme "You know the kind of girl who does nothing but bad things and then wonders why her life sucks? Well, that was me. Every time something good happened to me, something bad was always waiting around the corner: karma. That's when I realised that I had to change. I'm just trying to be a better person. My name is Eleanor." Only you know, Earl's alive and she dead. It's The Good Place in case you're sick of me talking in code. Not a series worthy enough of its own thread yet but I had to make this observation/joke somewhere.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby D-LOGAN » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:29 pm

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! New season on tonight. Man a year already gone, where does the time go?

This one really crept up on me too. I've really gone off watching telly so I don't see the ads and whatnot. Like an old friend I've drifted apart from. Damn internet luring me away. A POX ON IT! Nothing good comes from the damn web, I renounce using it forever.

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:52 pm

D'ya have your beer milkshake ready?

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby D-LOGAN » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:07 pm

... no.

I'm a bad fan :cry:

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep