Stranger Things has happened

What have you been watching?

Re: Stranger Things has happened

Postby reallifegirl » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:20 pm

I just finished it last night (yes I am super late on the hype train) but I really really loved it.

Just quick dumb thoughts of mine:

Spoiler: show
1) I have developed a major crush on Hooper. Apparently I like men who punch their way through life.

2) Man, did my opinions on Steve do a turnaround.

3) The character I relate most heavily too is Barb, as I, too, spent high school in unflattering clothes watching other people make out.

4) Here's hoping poor Joyce gets a month or two of peace in her life before she inevitably has her life go to shit all over again.

5) Emotionally manipulative or not, I bawled like a child when they intercut Hooper's daughter dying while they did CPR on Will.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:56 am

So, I finally watched the pilot episode of stranger things with boxer dog lady (something she always wanted to watch). And I can say at the least it was intriguing, be interesting to see how it unravels if I ever get another chance to continue watching it.

Of course I got distracted halfway through because her dog jumped on me and I started wrestling him.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:40 am

Now that I have Netflix, I might watch this show. Or I might not because I fear it can't live up to the hype. Time will tell. I mainly just wanted to post this.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby JamishT » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:04 am

There's a new spot for Season Two!!!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:04 am

Okay, so now there's a giant spider that looks like that thing at the end of The Mist.

*immediately adds Stranger Things to his Netflix queue*

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:12 pm

Halloween? Really? The Walking Dead is going to come back, go away, and come back again before Halloween. C'mon Netflix get with it. Its like I have to put my hype in cryosleep.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby archaeologydalek » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:28 am

REDACTED

Last edited by archaeologydalek on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archaeologydalek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:44 am

It has been minutes since I finished season 2 (is it season 2 or Stranger Things 2?). I started it last night, and it is over far too soon, just like a night with Bert's mom.

I searched "Stranger Things Season 1 Recap" on YouTube and watched a 7 minute video that was incredibly helpful before diving into season 2.

Non-spoiler stuff:
The 80's! I wasn't even a thought in the 80's but that music is rockin' and I love it. The inclusion of Samwise Gamgee to the case works, but it's strange at the same time. I half expected a ring to be a key plot point, but alas, there are only so many references the Duffer brothers will give us. Also, I'm pretty sure the Byers live in a prototype of the TARDIS, because those rooms are far too large to fit in the house we are shown in the establishing shots. Also also, the product placement seems more pronounced this time (lookin' at you, KFC).

There be spoilers and nougat in here
The main returning characters all have their moments, both smart shining moments and incredibly stupid moments for everyone. Will, with his attempt to keep everything on the downlow, and then his Morse code communication. Mrs. Byers with her...actually, I don't know if she did anything particularly stupid considering her situation. She did show badassery when the situation called for it, be it when it was being evicted from Will, or when the doctors were completely unhelpful. Jonathan left Will to go to a party like a dumb dumb, but he also got that tape and took it to Crazy Journalist with Nancy. I think you get the point by now.

Eleven's trip to Chicago and the whole visiting people in her mind thing felt like Sense8 minus the orgies. I don't know how I feel about it.

Dustin can be a little dumb dumb, but his relationships with Steve and Nancy are great and would help him become a great adult if they weren't fictional characters. I'm a little bummed he didn't end up with MadMax, but that's how affirmative action works the cookie crumbles. Also, what did he think that Dart was? He didn't have flashbacks from a year ago when he heard similar sounds?

Speaking of MadMax, what kinda storyline is that? Her brother (who I feel could be a far bigger character given a few more episodes) is abusive toward her, because his dad is abusive to him? AND THAT'S IT?

JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:29 am

Yo, so, this season is better than the last one.

I continue to love David Harbour and Winona Ryrder, who are my favorite actors on the show. Winona Ryder continues to be a convincing mother teetering on the edge of sanity and David Harbour continues to be a surprisingly excellent detective who's never met a government conspiracy/monster flick he can't fistfight his way out of.

Of the kids, Eleven continues to be my favorite, with Dustin coming up in second. Will and Mike continue to be "Eh", especially now that I've seen Finn in IT and know he can be funny as fuck. Lucas was about 100000 times better this season, whereas in the last one I HATED him.

Steve was also a lot more bearable this season. He had his heroic moments, I felt bad for him a lot, and he was just a lot less of a douchebag than in the last season. When Nancy just unloads on him at that party, I felt so sorry for him. As for Johnathon and Nancy, I was like "eh." They were two characters I didn't care about in the first season, tand I continue to not care about them here.

Samwise Gamgee showing up was great, but the moment he stuck around too long, I knew he was gonna die. It was a shame, too, because he plays such an affable guy who's like "Your kid is haunted by Cthulhu? Fuck it, I'll help out". Better relationship material than me, I guess, I would've been OUT.

Speaking of affable guys, I really liked Paul Reiser as the not-really-villain. I thought he was gonna bite it, but he managed to pull through.

As for Eleven sneaking off to Chicago to meet up with Kali, I was kinda into it until she also ditched her. I was like "Why don't you ask her to come with you instead of just leaving her?"

I liked Mad Max, the thing with her brother, but the actor playing him looked a little too old to be a high schooler. That was a grown ass man hanging out at grade school, it was weird. Still, she was a good addition, thought she didn't get a lot of moments for herself. She felt a little too "just there".

The evil shit. I thought this one did a lot better at being horror than the last season, where it felt more Stephen Spielberg/Terminator-John-Carpenter and less Stephen King/Aliens-John-Carpenter. This one flipped 'em around, where the villain is...still not horrifying, but a lot more menacing. The dogs attacking the scientists compound for some reason reminded me of the Resident Evil movie, but otherwise, I liked this plot a lot more than I did the second one.

Lastly, Eleven showing up to save the day was perfect, and for that matter, I'm so glad that they didn't keep her hidden until later in the season, like I assumed they would. That said, I was kinda disappointed that Hop didn't kinda guide her out of the Upside Down with Eggos, which was what I assumed happened, and instead just kinda helped her escape the G-Men.

Anyways, excellent season, better than the first, and here's to hoping they have a good third season--if they make one.

EDIT: The song that plays a lot with Eleven, the one with the woman humming, sounded familiar to me. So I checked up, and it was from a video game I reviewed a while ago: There Comes an Echo. I've always wondered why movies and shows don't take more music from games.

Last edited by Doodle Dee. Snickers on Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Australia » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:37 am

Man, I love this show.

Spoiler Things
Considering his affinity for eating cats, I wish Dustin had named Dart Alf. I’ve never seen Alf but that’s literally all I know about him other than he’s back in pog form.

I liked all the new characters, aside from King Douche (I can’t call him Billy because there’s already a William on the show and I will not accept another. Max and 8 and the gang were all interesting (I’m sure 8 will be back in season 3 for a bigger role), but far and away, my favourite addition was Bob. First episode, I was all ‘I like this guy, I hope he doesn’t turn out to be a Hawkins Lab spy’. Second episode, I was like, ‘nah, my Bob wouldn’t do something like that.’ And then by eight, I had to see Rudy get torn to shreds by a hoard of Demodogs in a very Aliens-like sequence. Rest in pieces, my friend.

And just because it had to be said, I didn’t think they were going to win but where there’s a Will, there’s a way.

Stranger Things Spinoff Ideas
3 Simple Rules For Saving My Teenage Daughter (because Cabin Daddy didn’t ring well) – A family sitcom starring Hopper and Eleven living in a cabin in the woods. Hijinks ensue.

Couples Counselling With Murray Bauman – Join journalist-cum-conspiracy theorist-cum-unlicensed therapist, Murray Bauman, for a half-hour advice show with a bottle of vodka and a side of hormones. If the contestants win counselling, they’re sent to the shag shack where their pent-up sexual frustration can be flipped upside-down.

LovaBoble – No need to keep asking ‘What About Bob?’ This new genre-hopping anthology series follows new characters in new situations with every episode, the only constant being an iteration of Bob Newby tagging along. He’s just happy to be included.

Don’t Tell Mum The Babysitter’s Steve – While juggling relationship problems and the complexities of outgrowing his friendship circle, Steve starts a lucrative nanny business. Watch as the reformed bully refuses to follow society’s babysitting etiquette. Bedtime stories and game nights? Not this role model. He’ll beat up people and go out and perform arson in alternate dimensions all while the kids under his care tag along to learn from him.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:08 pm

I'm off work. The rain prevents me from doing the things outside I should have already accomplished. The wife works, the boy has school. I think this is the universe telling me it's time to watch season 2.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:48 pm

Binged this shit quicker then cheap beer.

1. Spotify has playlists for all the characters, ok most of the characters (sorry, Paul Reiser) and I'm cracking up just reading the names of them. I'm the Demogorgon, go fig. There's quite a few of the playlists that I like.

2. Loved it.

3. Stranger Things Season 1 parody here.

Oh Steve, your such a better character when you're bonding with Dustin and not pining over Nancy.

Oh, Dustin. It's sad that Dart actually did seem to care about you and I thought he'd eat your turtle instead of your cat.

Did we really need the scene of the Demodogs eating Sean Astin? We knew he was dead. That seemed a bit much IMO.

Nancy dancing with Dustin was cute.

Max's step-brother is totally going to bang Mike's mom, btw, next season. I'm calling it now.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby JamishT » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:38 am

STEEEEEEEEEEVE!

JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:44 pm

I want this.

It's a repurposed Norman Rockwell print of a boy with a dog. But is now demogorgon dog. Which is best dog.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Previous