The Unified Star Wars Thread

What have you been watching?

Re: The Unified Star Wars Thread

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Thu May 24, 2018 6:34 pm

Yeah, it's not a major point, I was just supporting my own interpretation of it. It can go either way. Desperation sells well, but a Rebellion that's trying a manageable goal before the actual game-over arrives because there's every possibility they fix the reactor shaft before they get another chance to try doesn't ruin much.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby Marcuse » Thu May 24, 2018 8:17 pm

In the briefing they're pretty clear that rebel command thinks it's possible for pilots to hit that target. One pilot does say it's difficult but Luke responds that he used to hit womp rats in his T16 that were smaller than than. Remember that at this point Luke doesn't know how strong with the Force he is, and none of the rebels have a clue, they send Luke on the same basis that he was just a dude who could fly like the others. If they didn't expect that their pilots could hit the exhaust port it would be stupid of them to send anyone at all.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:30 pm

I wasn't saying that the rebel leaders knew the exhaust port is impossible to hit. They were hoping that it's not. And what I said that it was impossible to hit "under those conditions" - the pilots are in a narrow trench, enemy fighters are coming behind them and they can't maneuver.

One pilot does say it's difficult but Luke responds that he used to hit womp rats in his T16 that were smaller than than

He says that it's "impossible, even for a computer". And in the novelization, he responds to what Luke says with something like "and were those womp rats firing back at you?"

But I take it back, not impossible, just extremely difficult. And they got very few chances. There were time for only tree trench runs, the Death Star was just about to fire when Luke blew it up.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Australia » Sun May 27, 2018 3:00 pm

Solo: A One Word Review - Meh.

Not good, not bad, not worth starting a thread about. It's generic and half the fan-service is cringey as fuck but it has Chewie in it so it's automatically the best prequel. Not a compliment. It's probably the most forgettable movie of the franchise but it was a fun enough way to kill a couple of hours.

Oh, and all I wanted was a Last Crusade-style 'how Han Solo got his chin scar' and it didn't happen.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Sun May 27, 2018 5:20 pm

I got dragged to it by a friend visiting the city for the day, and it was fine. It wasn't as completely ass-random as TLJ, there's no stupid subversion of expectations bullshit. The film manages to make jokes without sounding like an SNL skit, because Ron Howard, Lord and Miller are all pretty good at comedy stuff.
It's also the first star wars since episode 3 to have aliens in it, which is a milestone no one was expecting to be an achievement (TFA was close to breaking through, but then the only alien that mattered was literally an old asian woman). Solo has Wookkies, Imperial Slavery being an issue, the obligatory cantina scene, a secondary character with a weird design who's still basically a person, several antagonists that talk gibberish like the Jabba's Palace people. It's decent.

Also the first star wars since episode 3 to have characters that have even a little bit of a relationship to each other. Rey and Kylo would count if they had any actual reason to be together instead of Palpatine Jr setting them up like a 90s blind date.

As I expected, Landino sounds like Troy doing a Lando impression. He's a terrible choice for the role.

And turns out all that was needed to make Emilia Clarke able to emote on any level is black hair.

Alden germanname isn't anything to write home about, nor is he anything to write an angry letter to the editor about.

Woody Harrelson has very obviously read the script, and his character's every action is ridiculous.

Also the script obviously got run through with a find and replace after everyone and their 90 year old mothers guessed it'd be a smuggling spice story replacing spice with coaxial cables.

The script is absolutely terrible and the plots make no sense and there's a ridiculous bit at the end where Han is established as the guy who funded the rebellion in its beginning years (apparently they're decanonizing the Padme deleted scenes where she started the Rebellion. So Jimmy Smits just sat around doing nothing for two decades.)
But we expected that bit already.

If this was ACTUALLY just a star wars "story" instead of a han solo prequel film, it'd be a great movie. It feels like old EU and its comic book level writing.

Last edited by A Combustible Lemon on Sun May 27, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Sun May 27, 2018 5:32 pm

The first new Star Wars movie I don't hate the very concept of, so of course this is the one that gets average reviews and fails miserably at the box office.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Sun May 27, 2018 5:44 pm

You know what it reminds me of, especially with the car chase in the beginning and how much of the plot is secondary to the setpieces and action scenes?

Star Trek JJ Abrams.

Which means the best scene will be in Han Solo 3: Jabba the Hutt, and I can ignore all the movies until that one.

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:45 pm

TIL the Geonosians were in the new canon at some point Genocided. Looks like Rebels.

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Previous