The Unified Star Wars Thread

What have you been watching?

Re: The Unified Star Wars Thread

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:48 am

Screenshot_20180129-085306.jpg
Screenshot_20180129-085306.jpg (329.33 KiB) Viewed 5583 times
Screenshot_20180127-193405.jpg
Screenshot_20180127-193405.jpg (499.54 KiB) Viewed 5583 times

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Australia » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:33 am

This sith just got real.jpg
This sith just got real.jpg (26.56 KiB) Viewed 5572 times

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:26 pm

Screenshot_20180203-195723.jpg
Screenshot_20180203-195723.jpg (315.42 KiB) Viewed 5529 times

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:57 pm

No Jabba and Boba Fett appearances but RLM got Woody Harrelson right. Also Love Interest exists.

I can't wait to see the movie explain the origin of Han Solo's iconic Smuggler's Vest.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby DanteHoratio » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:55 am

I wish they picked a actor that sounds like Harrison Ford. Judging from the trailer, he can't be that much younger then what he was in A New Hope.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Let's get dangerous

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:51 am

Han Solo looks like garbage, they're making an Obi Wan movie and probably a Jabba the Hutt movie and then a Lobot movie after that. Rian Johnson's getting three whole movies to subvert your expectations with.

And they just hired fucking D&D for three movies.
I'm bailing. Fuck Star Wars.
star_wars.png
star_wars.png (115.26 KiB) Viewed 5460 times

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:10 pm

I'm only interested in Solo because I want to see Don Glover play Billy Dee Williams.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:11 pm

npq3kp0bbb1jkadg0yly.jpg
npq3kp0bbb1jkadg0yly.jpg (54.93 KiB) Viewed 5384 times

BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby DanteHoratio » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:18 pm

I dunno, maybe I'm just biased since Legends was just a big part of my childhood and teenhood, and even into my adulthood, but I'm not 100% happy with the new canon. I feel like alot of the lore is watered down. I understand why they did it, there WAS alot silly stuff out there, like Luke Skywalker fighting Rabbits, or Indy Jones finding the Millennium Falcon, but there was also alot of great stuff out there, and it had such a deep lore.

And alot of the stuff that do go from Legends to canon gets watered down, such as the Noghri and the Terentatek.

Like I said, maybe I'm just biased. To give credit where credit is due, I have liked some stuff in the new canon, such as Rebels and the Thrawn novel.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:42 pm

I just can't even with this. So Luke Skywalker, a man who was so unable to avoid the cries for help from his friends that he would knowingly walk into a trap set by Darth fucking Vader is now convinced that in order to help his friends, he has to ignore them? Why have a map to him left behind with his fucking droid then?

Like okay, I want to have it on record that this could, in theory, have been a plausible explanation. The problem is that it doesn't work in this setting, where we're watching Luke pop back in after a gap of thirty years with no setup. There's nothing to establish that he's worked tirelessly to bring peace to the galaxy only to see his efforts fail or fall apart, because he's a Jedi. There's nothing of him saying how he's put on such a pedestal that he can't even land on a planet without everyone mobbing him and making him feel like a burden. There's nothing in the movies that shows any evidence of that so we can sympathise with his decision. If we'd have ever been shown any time where he made things worse by being around, then it would have been more believable that he wanted to stay away. But they didn't do that, they just throw him in at us with no setup or buildup to that, and we're half expecting him to be searching for some mystical jedi temple like Han said. What we get is bitter old hermit who doesn't seem to care that the same Empire he defeated is running riot and nobody can stop them and he just...won't.

I'm sympathetic to the idea that the Jedi are, on balance, not super qualified people to run a political system. Frankly the Force user most qualified to do that ever was Palpatine. But that doesn't mean the Jedi need to end or that the Jedi can have no role in society or politics. I know the sequel trilogy aren't interested in the politics of a movie series at least 40% about politics, but they could have found some role for the Jedi in amongst the Republic that wasn't "ultra elite special forces with magic that sometimes try to assassinate leaders they think are bad" or "supreme tyrant of all".

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:10 am

First of all. Snoke and mirrors? Seriously?

I swear these things are going to be the death of me, through sheer rage. Does Rian Johnson not know what words mean or was he deliberately trying to mislead his crew to make something that's not what he's saying he intended now? Snoke is a bad dude, we know because he looks funny and has a big spaceship I suppose. But we're supposed to, according to the writer and director, see him as an unequivocally evil person.

But then the character designer says he was told that he was to realise Snoke as much as possible, make him a real person with attitudes and foibles and stuff. Wait what? Aren't those things contradictory? Well yes they are, completely contradictory. Palpatine was a classic one-dimensional evil villain, and it worked because we didn't really care much who he was or what he was after. He was a simple character who worked because of his simplicity. Snoke is a simple character that the crew was trying to make complex, but written by someone who thinks he's simple. No wonder he seemed all over the place.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:05 pm

Not to give Rian Johnson any credit whatsoever, but I think it's called Snoke and Mirrors because Snoke is a CGI character and Smoke and Mirrors is the predecessor of CGI.

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby DanteHoratio » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:55 pm

I feel they really wasted Snoke's character.

DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:23 pm

I watched the new trailer for Solo yesterday. Yawn.

Like, I get that it's a Han Solo movie and everyone is just shitting themselves with anticipation at seeing the backstory of a character we didn't need to know anything else about (seriously, Han has one trait in the OT: Scoundrel) but I'm not into it. I'm not into them shoving Han and Lando into our faces and going "look star wars". I'm also not not not into Emilia Clarke in this movie. Largely that's because she can't really act very well in my opinion, and adding her to the movie tends to just mean she's going to play Emilia Clarke again, which doesn't do anything for me. Also she has a tendency to (like Terminator Genysis) be really sexualised in a way I don't like because of her work on GoT and it leaks into everything. I'm not up for that in a Star Wars setting.

I did not like them casually dropping Chewie being 170 years old into the trailer like that. Seriously we know nothing about him except he's a fucking walking bear and suddenly he has all this backstory that we just don't need. I get the complaints about him from TLJ being that he had nothing to do, and it's better he's characterised rather than not, but I'm not actually massively interested in Chewie's home life really. In fact I'm not interested in Han's either, so I probably won't see this until it gets an inevitable TV release or if I wuss out and get the DVD for some reason.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:30 pm

Chewie's 170 in the trailer? BUT WHAT ABOUT THE DROID ATTACK ON THE WOOKKIES?

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

PreviousNext