The Unified Star Wars Thread

What have you been watching?

Re: The Unified Star Wars Thread

Postby Marcuse » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:02 pm

This is almost certainly spoilerific if it's legit.

Spoiler: show

This is a map released by Empire showing TFA locations superimposed upon the existing EU map that predates the films.

Of particular note is Starkiller base effectively being the same galactic location as Ilum. It may even be Ilum. This explains a lot, as the planet is effectively the only source of lightsaber crystals that the Jedi used. If the First Order has converted the planet into a superweapon it might explain why there's no new Jedi order and the only lightsaber that isn't Kylo's is Anakin's/Luke's old one, they simply can't make them.

Here's a screengrabbed version of the original map printed in the magazine. Interesting that Rakata Prime is listed on there.

In other news, Mark Hamill was caught tweeting that he'll appear in Episode VIII, mentioning he needed to grow back his beard in time for filming it. Still doesn't mean he's not a Force ghost, but it's still interesting.

Another interesting Luke point is that the First order have been teaching their stormtroopers that Luke was the villain of the OT. Which isn't exactly ground breaking, but would explain why he might be in hiding if he is.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby FieldMarshalFry » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:23 pm

Marcuse wrote:This is almost certainly spoilerific if it's legit.

This is a map released by Empire showing TFA locations superimposed upon the existing EU map that predates the films.

Of particular note is Starkiller base effectively being the same galactic location as Ilum. It may even be Ilum. This explains a lot, as the planet is effectively the only source of lightsaber crystals that the Jedi used. If the First Order has converted the planet into a superweapon it might explain why there's no new Jedi order and the only lightsaber that isn't Kylo's is Anakin's/Luke's old one, they simply can't make them.

Here's a screengrabbed version of the original map printed in the magazine. Interesting that Rakata Prime is listed on there.

In other news, Mark Hamill was caught tweeting that he'll appear in Episode VIII, mentioning he needed to grow back his beard in time for filming it. Still doesn't mean he's not a Force ghost, but it's still interesting.

Another interesting Luke point is that the First order have been teaching their stormtroopers that Luke was the villain of the OT. Which isn't exactly ground breaking, but would explain why he might be in hiding if he is.

A young man that lives in isolated desert community is radicalised into an extremist religion by an older man with a beard. Commits countless acts of terrorism and blows up a huge military installation with enormous loss of life.

Supreme Commander of the Imperial Royal Cracked Army (also The Comments Section Militia), currently commanding the retake of the Troll Mines of 4chan in World Internet War 1, direct superior to Major. General Obvious, General Ignorance and General Knowledge.
FieldMarshalFry
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Field Marshal of TCS

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:19 pm

So I've been reading the Star Wars: Battlefront book recently. While the game itself looks like it's gonna be crap, the book is rather well-done. There's a much more 'we're just a bunch of dumb grunts big galactic war' feel to it, most felt when someone mentions a Jedi and the commander only vaguely remembers them as some kind of ancient fanatics while Darth Vader is just thought of as less of a Sith and more of a menacing commander who will chase your ass down if he needs to.

Overall, I'm enjoying it.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:09 pm

The game is not half bad, although it could have greatly benefited from having an actual single player campaign.

Matchmaking is pretty well done, and I have yet to encounter any glitches in any MP mode (unlike the last few Battlefields). Plus the game is freaking gorgeous - perfectly captures the Star Wars aesthetic.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:50 pm

Another possible spoiler:

Screenrant wrote:Kylo Ren’s action figure features lines of dialogue from the film, revealing that he attempts to persuade a character (believed to be Rey) to join him on the Dark side of the Force.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:49 am

This merits a double post.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Macready » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:36 pm

13 days to go!

Macready
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep
Title: Truth Seeker

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:48 am

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:30 pm

You know, I never read "Tarkin" and am just now reading it, and I have to ask...why does everyone love this book?

I get that it makes Tarkin into what's basically the Tywin Lannister of the Empire, but at the same time, it's the driest book I think I've ever read. I'm not sure I've ever seen so much exposition thrown at me in one book, short of possible ASOIAF. Not to mention the constant jumps back and forth from his earlier years to present, a device I've always found unnecessarily confusing and makes the book as a whole difficult to follow.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:04 pm

You folks need to see this. This is... this is a thing.
phpBB [video]

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby mancityfooty » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:23 pm

sunglasses wrote:I want to remind everyone that not only does the Star Wars Holiday Special exist, the entire nightmare is on Youtube.

Sorry. Coming late to the party here.
Somewhere in my vast collection of legally obtained videos, I have both the original Holiday Special and the Rifftrax version of said show.
The Rifftrax version is a lot easier to watch.

As for the new movie, I just can't get excited about it. I saw Empire and Return in the theatres, Mainly because I was 6 and 9 respectively and omg I had to have the Return of the Jedi sheet set. Even in those pre internet days, there was talk about how it was going to be a massive 9 movie thing. Just daycare playground scuttlebut, but it was exciting at that point.
Then I saw all the people camping out at the theatre for episode 1 in joplin. Maybe I was jaded by then. Maybe it was that a girl who was camping out that had just broken up with me. I just haven't been impressed with any of them since.
Just now, I'm trying to remember what episode 2 was about, and for the life of me, I can't.

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:12 am

FieldMarshalFry wrote:A young man that lives in isolated desert community is radicalised into an extremist religion by an older man with a beard. Commits countless acts of terrorism and blows up a huge military installation with enormous loss of life.

Heh, haven't thought of it like that before...

And so the older man with a beard essentially becomes a martyr for his cause, allowing his companions to evade capture. And regardless of dying he continues to live on beyond the grave in the eyes of the young radicalized boy.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:07 pm

For what it's worth, that military installation just blew up AN ENTIRE PLANET, so like... I think it might balance out

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby Marcuse » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:25 pm

The Death Star is explicitly a terror weapon. It's stated by Tarkin in Ep 4 that fear will keep the systems in line, fear of "this battle station". So if anything, the Empire are engaging in state terror on a deliberate scale. They also built the DS with slave labour from Wookiees and Geonosians. They ain't good dudes, unless you're a human male in some position of power.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:41 pm

The Wookiees I knew were slaves, but i didn't realize the Geonosians were slaves as well.

BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

PreviousNext