The Unified Star Wars Thread

What have you been watching?

Re: The Unified Star Wars Thread

Postby Marcuse » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:46 pm

DanteHoratio wrote:Has it ever been explained why Han and Leia named their son Ben Solo? I could understand Luke naming his son, Ben Skywalker, but not Han and Leia. They barely even knew Obi Wan "Ben" Kenobi.

They barely even explained why he wanted to murder his dad. The only sort of logical thing I can figure is that they expected that their kid would become the first of the new Jedi Order and named him after Ben Kenobi in order to honour the guy who helped them on the Death Star and introduced Luke to the Force so they could live to have their kid? A better reason is the writers wanted a Star Wars-y name to give him that wasn't something specific like "Luke" or "Yoda" and "Ben" is the only normal sounding name in the entire series.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:54 pm

I figured he wanted to murder his dad because Snoke told him that's what Luke did and look how badass he is now and Kylo was like "yo....I'm on it". That and the script specifically had to contain that character's death scene at some point. I like headcanoning this new trilogy. Lucasfilm isn't going to be much help with details it seems.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Marcuse » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:59 pm

iMURDAu wrote:I figured he wanted to murder his dad because Snoke told him that's what Luke did and look how badass he is now and Kylo was like "yo....I'm on it". That and the script specifically had to contain that character's death scene at some point. I like headcanoning this new trilogy. Lucasfilm isn't going to be much help with details it seems.

From the movie, and from the trailer for the next movie, it seems Kylo has been encouraged to kill his parents in order to "kill the past". That's apparently partly to do with Kylo escaping from under the shadow of being the son of two heroes of the Rebellion (hence the name change and mask) and also there's an undertone of him being steeped in the Dark Side by acts of murder. The Darth Plagueis book has Palpatine violently murdering his entire family as part of his descent into the Dark Side. On top of this, there's the claim from the people who aren't Snoke, that this is just a pack of lies he's telling Kylo in order to get him to kill Snoke's enemies, and then he'll dispose of Kylo, which is feasible too. Thing is, all of those things are plausible explanations, but in true JJ Abrams style, none of them are really explained and nothing is solved in The Force Awakens.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:27 pm

Ah the dangling plot threads that he'll leave us when Ep. IX is over. *cries inside*

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby DanteHoratio » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:13 pm

iMURDAu wrote:Ah the dangling plot threads that he'll leave us when Ep. IX is over. *cries inside*

Hopefully they will at least solve it in a new book or comic book or game or something.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Let's get dangerous

Postby Marcuse » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:45 pm

New teaser.

This does pique my interest a little more than the previous trailer did. The shot of Luke in the Falcon at least suggesting he might leave the planet and be more involved than just being isolated Yoda dude is hopeful at least. But the really big thing that draws (as intended) is the statement from Snoke of "darkness rises, and light to meet it". It makes me wonder if this whole thing is even more of a shadow game by Snoke than we thought. If he's trying to bring out the Force, maybe he thinks that the conflict between dark and light is what invigorates or "awakens" the Force, and he's turned Kylo specifically hoping that someone like Rey would come along. What would that actually mean in universe? I don't know, but I would at least be interested to find out.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:03 pm

You know, I'm not happy that Abrams is directing Episode 9, but after the mediocrity that was Jurassic World and ESPECIALLY after just watching the Book of Henry, I'm also pretty alright with Colin Trevorrow not being the director. Given the Book of Henry, I suspect I'd be on Disney's side of the "Creative disagreements" argument.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DanteHoratio » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:47 pm

What if...

1.What if Obi Wan Kenobi and Qui Gon Jinn managed to stay together during their duel against Darth Maul? Would they have won or would it end the same?

2. What if Maul kills Kenobi, but Qui Gon manages to defeat Maul? How would future events change?

3. What if Anakin Solo had survived the mission on Myrkr? How would future events changed?

4. What if Anakin Skywalker allows Mace Windu to kill Sidious?

5. What if Darth Maul kills both Obi Wan and Qui Gon on Naboo?

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Let's get dangerous

Postby Marcuse » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:55 am

1.What if Obi Wan Kenobi and Qui Gon Jinn managed to stay together during their duel against Darth Maul? Would they have won or would it end the same?

I don't know really. Qui Gonn was probably just at that point in a Jedi's life when they just think "I'm done with all these trade talks. Time to become an omnipotent ghost." So probably would have ended the same way.

2. What if Maul kills Kenobi, but Qui Gon manages to defeat Maul? How would future events change?

Qui Gonn trains Anakin until he's about 17, then Albanian gangsters kidnap him. The results are AMAZING.

3. What if Anakin Solo had survived the mission on Myrkr? How would future events changed?

Jacen would have died. That was the original plan after all, before George insisted they kill Anakin to avoid confusion between the NJO and the prequels.

4. What if Anakin Skywalker allows Mace Windu to kill Sidious?

Sidious would have become more powerful than they could possibly have imagined and killed them both with ghost sith lightning.

5. What if Darth Maul kills both Obi Wan and Qui Gon on Naboo?

He goes home to Dathomir, grabs Savage and they murderkill Palpatine and Dooku then rule the galaxy as evil overlords. Duh.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:15 am

Marky already knows my pet What If (which it's looking increasingly unlikely I will ever write.) Anyone else want to chime in?

What if Obi-Wan killed Vader on Mustafar?

Aside from the obvious switcharound of Luke's scene with Vader on Bespin for one with Obi-Wan. ("No, Luke, I killed your father." ...)

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby IamNotCreepy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:19 pm

CarrieVS wrote:Marky already knows my pet What If (which it's looking increasingly unlikely I will ever write.) Anyone else want to chime in?

Aside from the obvious switcharound of Luke's scene with Vader on Bespin for one with Obi-Wan. ("No, Luke, I killed your father." ...)

Artist's rendering of that scene:

Spoiler: show

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Marcuse » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:40 pm

I think, as much as it's a nice idea to consider, Obi Wan wouldn't have turned to the Dark Side if he'd have finished the job on Mustafar. He struck to kill already, and if dissecting your notional "brother" isn't enough to turn you, then that being a kill wouldn't do it either. Indeed, for a long time Obi Wan is supposed to have believed he did kill Anakin and he was completely normal.

So I wonder if very much would have happened in terms of Obi Wan. I would expect he would hide on Tatooine like he did in the canon story, but there might be different effects. With Vader dead, Palpatine would almost certainly look for a new apprentice faster. Who that might be is debatable, but one thing is probably the case, Luke would be found far sooner than he was. Vader was always said to avoid places he knew because it pissed him off too much, and that's the reason it's said he didn't find someone openly using his name on his home planet, living with his step-brother and his wife. Really we know it's just movie logic not adding up, but still, we can imagine a reasonable plot where an uncaring Sith apprentice finds a much younger Luke. What results from that would be anyone's guess, but Luke and the apprentice actually doing what Vader offers would be interesting. Luke could be offered revenge for the death of his father and turned that way, like Obi Wan manipulates him.

I would totally read Luke and an OC Sith hunting Obi Wan across Tatooine.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Double posting because actual news

The director of The Last Jedi will be creating a completely new Star Wars trilogy of movies with all new OC donut steels in them.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:38 am

What if Order 66 missed idk waaaay more Jedi than anybody considered? The stormtroopers obviously weren't keeping a good checklist if Yoda didn't get crossed off. They missed Obi-Wan too. Good grief. That's a great idea, kill the opposition but if you don't get the top two names on the hierarchy just forget it because you can destroy planets. How did that work out?

I know it's a film for kids with families but Ep. III didn't show very many Jedi getting slaughtered. That could easily explain how the Force keeps Awakens-ing in people who have no obvious Jedi lineage.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Typical Michael » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:12 am

iMURDAu wrote:What if Order 66 missed idk waaaay more Jedi than anybody considered? The stormtroopers obviously weren't keeping a good checklist if Yoda didn't get crossed off. They missed Obi-Wan too. Good grief. That's a great idea, kill the opposition but if you don't get the top two names on the hierarchy just forget it because you can destroy planets. How did that work out?

I know it's a film for kids with families but Ep. III didn't show very many Jedi getting slaughtered. That could easily explain how the Force keeps Awakens-ing in people who have no obvious Jedi lineage.

I think of Jedi more of a title, than an ability; one can be Force-sensitive without being called a "Jedi".

"The Force is strong with you, young Skywalker. But you are not a Jedi, yet."

Had Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan not needed spaceship parts, Anakin could have remained a slave that was just really good at fixing things and not dying during pod-races. The Witches of Dathomir are Force-sensitive, but aren't Jedi. Order 66 was more like, getting rid of one's political opponents. What first jumped into my mind, high-ranking Nazis got away, and the good guys were all "Eh, we'll get them eventually."

So I think there is plenty of room for Force lineage, without being Yodas and Skywalkers or Kenobi. I'd rather see that explored. More of what would happen with Force-sensitive and Force-adept if they weren't controlled by some "Order". Would they be dark, or light, according to their own volition? Or would they just use the Force to be really good at basket-weaving and cheating at dice games?

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

PreviousNext